The Dead Thread

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Post Reply
User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29162
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

The Dead Thread

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:54 am

This is a thread to discuss the Grateful Dead

Image
Last edited by coco on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29162
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:54 am

Archived from "What are you listening to?"
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote: It's like listing desert island blends, but just for kicks (though I could change my mind before you reply):

1966
1968
1970
1972
1977
1980
1990
Maybe we should say what are the three desert island years... At any rate, I think I'm changing my 60's years to 66 and 68. Valentine's Day '68 in the Carousel Ballroom is quality.

One of these days, I need some suggestions for shows from 1980.
The Warfield shows: 9-25-80, 9/26, 9/27, 9/29, 9/30, 10/2-3-4, 10/6-7-9-10-11-13-14. All begin with an acoustic set.
Very, very nice. bt.etree.org, here I come.
It is an encyclopedic revival of the acoustic phase from 1970, right after Keith died.
I just got the torrent information for a couple of them; 10/2 and 14. "Alabama Getaway" is on both. I like that one.
Can't imagine why... :wink:
:D
I like Alabama Getaway in a quirky sort of way, for its quirkiness. I still think it's kind of a strange song.

I have only ridden through Alabama once, c. 1983, when a childhood friend (he was not a good friend, I now see; a truly spiteful person in his teen years who loved to build himself up by tearing others down, an atheist who loved to claim he was possessed by Satan; nice stuff like that) and I went to Florida on a road trip to meet some of the members of his family who were peculiar in more positive ways.

His dad decided not to take the Interstate, but to take state roads from NC to Ft. Walton Beach through SC, Alabama...

I'm sure Alabama is great, but we were going down those backroads with ramshackle shacks half of which were inhabited and seemed to have no electricity, and AC through the holes in the roof. Towns with kids walking down Main Street barefoot...

Don't worry: plenty of places in VA and NC like that, and nothing could be worse than a major city, except around the edges of them.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16278
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Post by gaining_age » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:03 am

Grateful dead.... that's me!

24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:06 am

Cool...

8)
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:07 am

Does anyone remember the story of how they got their name, accurately, without cheating (or even looking at a book)?
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 36301
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:10 am

I have never done illicit drugs so the soulful subtleties of the Grateful Dead have always eluded me.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29162
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:11 am

fisherofpipes wrote:Does anyone remember the story of how they got their name, accurately, without cheating (or even looking at a book)?
Yes, though variations of this oral history are common, possibly due the condition of mind that the band members were in at the time. The previous band name, The Warlocks, was already taken by another band. Jerry allegedly was flipping through a dictionary/encyclopedia/some book, and landed upon the name randomly.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Eric
VapeHead
VapeHead
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:13 am

I have all their studio albums, and play & sing some tunes such as Box of Rain, Dire Wolf, Working Man's Blues, etc.

From the Dead, I'd learned and collected Garcia and Grisman. Purchasing a Garcia/Grisman CD at Border's in the mid 90's the crispy crunchy looking cashier had asked me if I'd ever heard of "Old & In the Way", then she took the time to tell me a little about Bluegrass.

That conversation changed my life and precipitated my conversion which was fed by countless hours of listening to Bluegrass Gospel. Atheists/Agnostics should never listen to Bluegrass Gospel! :wink:

So, indirectly, you could say listening to the Dead lead to my conversion and being in Christ.

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16278
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Post by gaining_age » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:14 am

I thought it was just a "touch of grey"
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:15 am

coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:Does anyone remember the story of how they got their name, accurately, without cheating (or even looking at a book)?
Yes, though variations of this oral history are common, possibly due the condition of mind that the band members were in at the time. The previous band name, The Warlocks, was already taken by another band. Jerry allegedly was flipping through a dictionary/encyclopedia/some book, and landed upon the name randomly.
Exactly correct, but what is a Grateful Dead?
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29162
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:27 am

fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:Does anyone remember the story of how they got their name, accurately, without cheating (or even looking at a book)?
Yes, though variations of this oral history are common, possibly due the condition of mind that the band members were in at the time. The previous band name, The Warlocks, was already taken by another band. Jerry allegedly was flipping through a dictionary/encyclopedia/some book, and landed upon the name randomly.
Exactly correct, but what is a Grateful Dead?
a benevolent ancestor in animistic religions
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:Does anyone remember the story of how they got their name, accurately, without cheating (or even looking at a book)?
Yes, though variations of this oral history are common, possibly due the condition of mind that the band members were in at the time. The previous band name, The Warlocks, was already taken by another band. Jerry allegedly was flipping through a dictionary/encyclopedia/some book, and landed upon the name randomly.
Exactly correct, but what is a Grateful Dead?
a benevolent ancestor in animistic religions
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/faq/name.html
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:36 am

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29162
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 am

fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:Does anyone remember the story of how they got their name, accurately, without cheating (or even looking at a book)?
Yes, though variations of this oral history are common, possibly due the condition of mind that the band members were in at the time. The previous band name, The Warlocks, was already taken by another band. Jerry allegedly was flipping through a dictionary/encyclopedia/some book, and landed upon the name randomly.
Exactly correct, but what is a Grateful Dead?
a benevolent ancestor in animistic religions
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/faq/name.html
And according to some versions of the story, the two words are not connected in any way, they just sound cool together.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15069
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 am

UncleBob wrote:I have never done illicit drugs so the soulful subtleties of the Grateful Dead have always eluded me.
Can you make a "Worst Thread of 2013" category for the CPS Awards?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29162
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:39 am

Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have never done illicit drugs so the soulful subtleties of the Grateful Dead have always eluded me.
Can you make a "Worst Thread of 2013" category for the CPS Awards?
* coco
* Hovannes
* ?
* ?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:43 am

I may actually end up reading this book, though...
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15069
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:45 am

coco wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have never done illicit drugs so the soulful subtleties of the Grateful Dead have always eluded me.
Can you make a "Worst Thread of 2013" category for the CPS Awards?
* coco
* Hovannes
* ?
* ?
*hogleg - If you can read this after looking at his kilt thread you're lucky
*fisherofpipes - Pick one of his hallucinogenic, no sleep, stream of consciousness threads.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:13 am

Cleon wrote:
coco wrote:
Cleon wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have never done illicit drugs so the soulful subtleties of the Grateful Dead have always eluded me.
Can you make a "Worst Thread of 2013" category for the CPS Awards?
* coco
* Hovannes
* ?
* ?
*hogleg - If you can read this after looking at his kilt thread you're lucky
*fisherofpipes - Pick one of his hallucinogenic, no sleep, stream of consciousness threads.
You should see my threads elsewhere!

...on second thought...

8O

http://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-Rats-Ca ... ods?page=1

That one's harmless, though the site as a whole has some bad neighborhoods. When I do late threads there, there are more replies, because the site is more international and just has more people on at all hours.
Last edited by fisherofpipes on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai
Posts: 6483
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Post by infidel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 am

I like Cherry Garcia

Image

Other than that I can't relate™
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

Post Reply