The Dead Thread

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: The Dead Thread

Post by Jocose » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 am

ONE WORD:

I'm hooked.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:41 am
ONE WORD:

I'm hooked.
Yay! "ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!" :dancingpie:

What was the turning point? Any particular album/show?
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:34 am

Never understood the attraction. Don't look down on those who do, but not for me.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:16 am

Adam Z wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am
Jocose wrote:
ONE WORD:

I'm hooked.

2/19/71
8/27/72
6/26/74
2/04/70
5/17/74
3/23/74
11/17/73
5/03/72
2/01/70
1/17/68

For starters anyway.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:08 pm

Jocose wrote:
Adam Z wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am
Jocose wrote:
ONE WORD:

I'm hooked.

2/19/71
8/27/72
6/26/74
2/04/70
5/17/74
3/23/74
11/17/73
5/03/72
2/01/70
1/17/68

For starters anyway.
Nice. For me it was 12/19/73 - Dick's Picks vol. 1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:38 pm

I'll be at the Atlanta show on June 29th. CPS meetup?
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:11 pm

You're not a true Jerry fan until you've listened to this
Haters gonna hate - Proverbs 9:8.

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:41 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:11 pm
You're not a true Jerry fan until you've listened to this
All of the Garcia/Grisman collaborative albums are great. There's not much that Garcia did that doesn't tickle my ears in some way - New Riders of the Purple Sage, perhaps? Never was too into them.
- C.S. Lewis

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Wed May 01, 2019 2:49 pm

I thought this was neat.

- C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat May 04, 2019 6:25 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat May 04, 2019 6:37 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:49 pm
I thought this was neat.

Dan Healy was the first to equalize using pink noise.
This is from 1991:

BB: Stories circulate among tapers and Deadheads that you have software or a computer driven board to tailor the sound to each venue, especially the indoor ones. Putting blueprints or God only knows what into the system.
DH: When we plan a tour the first thing that happens is we get architectural drawings of the venue. Then we have a computer program called AutoCAD, which is an architectural design program. And in that program we scan the prints of the venue into it. Thereís also a model of the stage and a model of the sound system down to the individual speakers. We configure a sound system and then the program measures the response or the predicted response throughout the room. We can adjust it until itís even and every seat is a good sounding seat. At that point we make a scale blueprint drawing of it and that goes to the crew and when we get to the venue they simply pull out the drawing and create the sound system to match the drawing. This all happens months before the show and once youíre to the show and you set it all up, then it comes down to tuning the system. In most cases theyíre venues where weíve played before, where weíve stored in the computer what we did the time before. We also have a discussion situation whereby at the end of the tour we have like a post-mortem, if you will, and we talk about what we did and heard. During that time we have prints and examples of what we did from the computer, an analysis of the show. Then we can talk about what we might want to do next time, did we feel that it was it good, etc. This particular show has improved over the last time we played here. Weíve changed a few things, but thereís going to be a few things weíll change next time. Everyone likes this place and itís a good sounding venue, itís a comfortable and nice place to be and thereís very little pressure. That accounts for why there are good successful shows here, and I want to commend the local authorities and the people who run this place. Next time weíre going to modify it a little bit but weíve pretty much got it now. Last night was a pretty damn good example of whatís happening. The steel structuring around the stage where we hang our speakers is a little bit inadequate, but I think next time weíre gonna bring some special apparatus to get around that and I think that next time weíre also going to add a third delay speaker Out in the field so thereíll be I, 2, 3 rather than two. We actually were going to do that this time, but something happened and two of our four forklifts inadvertently got diverted straight to Denver where our next show is. Itís no big deal; it was just a touch that makes it nicer. Anyway, by the time youíve played a place three times youíve pretty much got it down, sometimes you nail it right on the first time. Itís never really bad anymore, its just a question of even better, tastier… itís a lot of fin and a great challenge to see if you can get it better. I myself am never satisfied but thatís probably what keeps me going.

BB: Do you have to fine tune it with the people in there or not?
DH: I do tune the sound system in the venue that weíre in and Iíve spent a number of years measuring the difference between what happens when the place is empty as opposed o full and so I know to add and subtract and I can compensate, so by adding in an algorithm that Iíve derived over the years, itís tantamount to estimating what it would be when the place is full. And Itís remarkably close. Thatís the first level – the crew sets it all up and then I come it, and tune it all. But then also, during the show we track the atmospheric condition. We have a weather station out there; thereís an anemometer, which is wind speed, barometric pressure, humidity, temperature. Wind direction, so on and so forth. Thatís also attached to the computer and every 30 minutes it logs it. If thereís any significant changes (meaning, in our case, the kind of changes that will create a noticeable sound change), itíll send up a flag. In other words, we have written a program that considers the information and if any of the parameters go beyond any pre-set parameters, then itíll say, ëhey you guysí, and at that point we can retune and recompensate for it. It has to do more with atmospheric conditions more than the audience presence.