The Dead Thread

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:24 am

infidel wrote:I like Cherry Garcia

Other than that I can't relate™
I believe Jerry's favorite everyday food was McDonalds. Probably not the best diet for a diabetic...
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VF1eVtaoks

This will be different, but the open-minded may want to at least click. Audio only, probably some profanity, but don't remember anything really vulgar about the acid-test audios, just weird. It's part of Dead history...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:32 am

UncleBob wrote:I have never done illicit drugs so the soulful subtleties of the Grateful Dead have always eluded me.
I never got it, either. I honestly don't think I could name a single song they recorded.

But then, I shouldn't judge. I'm a big Junior Brown fan and he escapes most people, too.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 am

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:I have never done illicit drugs so the soulful subtleties of the Grateful Dead have always eluded me.
I never got it, either. I honestly don't think I could name a single song they recorded.

But then, I shouldn't judge. I'm a big Junior Brown fan and he escapes most people, too.
They didn't all do drugs, and the ones that did didn't do all the drugs. Pigpen (Ron Mc Kernon, original lead singer and keyboards) was a whiskey man, and LSD terrified him. Bob Weir was pretty clean-living. Jerry stuck to pot, and did a few LSD experiments, but later on sadly turned to heroin. Phil I think was at times anything goes. Can't remember about the two drummers. Keyboard players (Dead keyboard players dropped off like Spinal Tap drummers) were I believe a mix.

Also, when the Dead formed, LSD was not illegal...

Do remember that Mickey Hart was a karate master, and Tom Constanten (briefly the keyboard player) was military, and I believe pretty toxin-free.

Tom Constanten, BTW, is the only former member I have ever met. He is a bit peculiar, and likes to speak to random people in Hungarian. :? :?
Last edited by fisherofpipes on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:40 am

JimVH wrote:

And Jim:

You could name lots of songs they recorded if you knew how many covers they recorded... :wink:
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:46 am

fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

They didn't all do drugs, and the ones that did didn't do all the drugs. Pigpen (Ron Mc Kernon, original lead singer and keyboards) was a whiskey man, and LSD terrified him. Bob Weir was pretty clean-living. Jerry stuck to pot, and did a few LSD experiments, but later on sadly turned to heroin. Phil I think was at times anything goes. Can't remember about the two drummers. Keyboard players (Dead keyboard players dropped off like Spinal Tap drummers) were I believe a mix.

Drummers rarely make it long and often are the least known members. Of course there are exceptions, but I bet most people can't name 10 or more drummers from high profile bands. I can, and most other drummers can too, but few others retain that info. Compare that to singers and guitarists. Even if you've never been a musician, most people can name a lot of members from those two groups.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Drummers rarely make it long and often are the least known members. Of course there are exceptions, but I bet most people can't name 10 or more drummers from high profile bands. I can, and most other drummers can too, but few others retain that info. Compare that to singers and guitarists. Even if you've never been a musician, most people can name a lot of members from those two groups.
Funny how the Dead's two drummers were the most sane and stable band members. It was the keyboard players with them...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:29 pm

coco wrote:
Cleon wrote:
Can you make a "Worst Thread of 2013" category for the CPS Awards?
* coco
* Hovannes
* ?
* ?
Drugs are bad; m'kay?

Audita Musarum sacerdos

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:54 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Do remember that Mickey Hart was a karate master, and Tom Constanten (briefly the keyboard player) was military, and I believe pretty toxin-free.

Tom Constanten, BTW, is the only former member I have ever met. He is a bit peculiar, and likes to speak to random people in Hungarian. :? :?
I'm talking about those who listen to their music. Drugs seem to be required to "get it".
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:14 pm

UncleBob wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I'm talking about those who listen to their music. Drugs seem to be required to "get it".
I've never done drugs.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:15 pm

coco wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I've never done drugs.
That is just what a junkie would say.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:15 pm

UncleBob wrote:
coco wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I've never done drugs.
:lol:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm

coco wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
coco wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

I've never done drugs.
:lol:
Here is a test: If you see a dancing taco anywhere in this response, you need to cut back on the Grateful Dead.

:taco:

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 pm

Sorry, what?

Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:36 pm

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:14 pm

UncleBob wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
JimVH wrote:

Though there were lots of drugs at Dead shows, not true. Many drs/lawyers, other professionals. In the early days, maybe more, but in say the 90s, one could sometimes not even smell pot in the parking lot. Sure, half the people there might have been stoned, but the police payed special attention, so those people just smoked it on the way to the show.

I really don't think any of their music requires drugs to "get it," any more than Mahler's music would.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:30 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:17 pm

fisherofpipes wrote: Though there were lots of drugs at Dead shows, not true. Many drs/lawyers, other professionals. In the early days, maybe more, but in say the 90s, one could sometimes not even smell pot in the parking lot. Sure, half the people there might have been stoned, but the police payed special attention, so those people just smoked it on the way to the show.

I really don't think any of their music requires drugs to "get it," any more than Mahler's music would.
Do you see the dancing TACO? Well, do you?

In other words, your argument is invalid because TACO.

That is all.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 pm

UncleBob wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote: Though there were lots of drugs at Dead shows, not true. Many drs/lawyers, other professionals. In the early days, maybe more, but in say the 90s, one could sometimes not even smell pot in the parking lot. Sure, half the people there might have been stoned, but the police payed special attention, so those people just smoked it on the way to the show.

Do you see the dancing TACO? Well, do you?

In other words, your argument is invalid because TACO.

That is all.
:bacon:
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:23 am

I can't relate™.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS