The Dead Thread

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:11 pm

UncleBob wrote:
coco wrote:
UncleBob wrote:The way is shut.
It was made by those who are Dead.
And the Dead keep it.
The way is shut.
These guys are from San Francisco, not Dunharrow
Oh. Bun-furrow not Dunharrow. Got it.
8O
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:32 am

Listened to this one last night

Pete Johnson, from the Los Angeles Times, November 14 1967 wrote: The Grateful Dead, who were recording their appearance (with the help of an extra drummer), took several numbers to warm up, giving routine performances of "On Down the Line," "Morning Dew" and "Good Morning Little School Girl."
They were superb, however, on some new material which sounded better than anything included in their first album. The best of their new songs was "The Other One," featuring a lead vocal by guitarist Jerry Garcia.
By their second set, they were thoroughly thawed and closed the concert with a 36-minute blending of two new pieces, "Alligator" and "Caution." Garcia and Pigpen crossfired gospel shouts for part of the number and the quintet's instrumental rapport was the best it has been in local appearances.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:08 pm

coco wrote:Listened to this one last night

Pete Johnson, from the Los Angeles Times, November 14 1967 wrote: The Grateful Dead, who were recording their appearance (with the help of an extra drummer), took several numbers to warm up, giving routine performances of "On Down the Line," "Morning Dew" and "Good Morning Little School Girl."
They were superb, however, on some new material which sounded better than anything included in their first album. The best of their new songs was "The Other One," featuring a lead vocal by guitarist Jerry Garcia.
By their second set, they were thoroughly thawed and closed the concert with a 36-minute blending of two new pieces, "Alligator" and "Caution." Garcia and Pigpen crossfired gospel shouts for part of the number and the quintet's instrumental rapport was the best it has been in local appearances.
Much as I like '66, '67 is a good year too. Might be the most psychedelic year...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:45 pm

I thought this was going to be about Zombies on thanksgiving.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:49 pm

AFRS wrote:I thought this was going to be about Zombies on thanksgiving.
He could change it to "The Grateful Dead Thread," but the current version of the title is resulting in some interesting posts... :lol:
Audita Musarum sacerdos

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Here's a logo I chopped this afternoon. Gonna try to make some stickers.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:27 am

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:30 am

This thread is reminding me I was supposed to look through my Dead vinyl for coco. Sorry, I'll do that today. :oops:
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:10 pm

FredS wrote:Image
:rotfl:
Audita Musarum sacerdos

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:31 am

MrsCoco got me a little something for my shop for Valentines, the Skulls and Roses double album. It came from IrishDane's collection. She was surprised by her "choice" of presents.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:40 am

coco wrote:Image

MrsCoco got me a little something for my shop for Valentines, the Skulls and Roses double album. It came from IrishDane's collection. She was surprised by her "choice" of presents.
:joy:

Looks great!
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 pm

As zombie threads go, this is EXCELLENT!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:43 am

coco wrote:praying
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm listening to 7/16/66 at the Fillmore

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Post by SteveH » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 pm

coco wrote:Archived from "What are you listening to?"
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
coco wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:[quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"][quote="fisherofpipes"][quote="coco"]GD 3/26/90 Blow Away, reason #326 why Brent Mydland is worth two Godchauxs.
Worth two Donnas (or a dozen), but I'm a big Keith Godchaux fan.

This is not to say that I have anything at all against Mydland!
:lol:

(I certainly have nothing against Keith, its just that Godchauxs are a package deal)
That is EXACTLY how I always put it. Package deal. It's what I always say to my brother, and he agrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-UcVt6or6I

Click at your own risk. Some of her singing, however, is actually not totally dismal on the studio albums. That song, though... 8O
When she is together, I like her well enough. For example, in May '77, everyone, including Donna, was doing well. I even like "Sunrise," when she isn't high as a kite. But when she is bad, it ruins the whole song for me.
Terrapin Station is a great album. I just never could get into Sunrise just as a song.
Oddly enough, I've never even heard it. 8O 8O 8O Rhino released all the studio albums and some live albums in two box sets, but I've never brought myself to spend what it would take to get them. When I am going to spend money as opposed to just downloading a soundboard, my priorities always seem to lie with whole shows, not studio stuff. I'm sure you understand.
Oh, I can certainly understand preference for the Dead live, but Terrapin Station? It's kind of a rock-symphony in the complete, studio version, and is one of the songs I prefer in the studio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotatio ... AIvo6QkOgc
Okay. It is on my listening list.

Just curious, have you ever heard Hartford, 3/28/77?
That is 5/28/77, not 3/28/77, unless my (1995) copy of Deadbase IX is wrong (there are alleged to be a few mistakes), and I've probably heard it, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Quick listen to the first minute or so of Promised Land and Estimated Prophet, and does not sound immediately familiar. Would have to either listen to the whole thing (between-song banter helps), or dig to see if I have the CD (an hour-long project).

I'll give the show a listen, though maybe not right now. Something for tonight, I think.
:oops: Yes, it is May. I mentioned it because this show has quite a few songs from Terrapin.[/quote]

Dead Vortex! Dead Vortex! :guitar:[/quote]
I find it odd that no one else has joined in. Surely they must realize the delights to be found in May '77.[/quote]

Was an interesting time for the 8 year old me despite not knowing who the Dead were at the time. My brother was born 3/26/77, and I think I saw Star Wars in the theater that summer, the same day we went to the circus and my mom got hit on by a carnie...

one doesn't forget things like that.[/quote]
My memories from that time period are a little dim. I was 5. The Dead had just completed their Europe tour when I was born.[/quote]

For some reason, I was thinking you were slightly older rather than slightly younger than me...[/quote]
I darn sure look older.[/quote]

I stopped being carded for alcohol when I went bald at age 23 or so...[/quote]
:lol:

When I went to see Sunshine Daydream in the theater last summer (from August 27, 1972, I think), I noticed a strange phenomena. Almost everyone there was too young to have seen the Dead live, though their devotion was apparent:

Image[/quote]
It's a great thing to see! I consider myself lucky to have caught three shows, and really like to see youngsters discover the band.

I'll tell you my memories someday of 8-9-95, the day Jerry died, but it's a long story, and might have a couple non-CPS appropriate parts.[/quote]
My mom called me to see if I was okay.[/quote]

Day started for me with my mom casually telling me in the driveway as I was leaving for work: "you know that fellow from that band you and Tyler like just died?" <redacted_emoji>

Oops; broke the vortex...[/quote]
I fixed it. For posterity.

I've been listening to a little more of 3/24-26/90; good stuff.[/quote]

My, but those mysterious, magical, mystifying mod powers move me to a modicum of mortified modesty...

90 shows are great.[/quote]
My mod powers only work inside of one hidden forum (CPS ministry). I just amended the vortex the old fashioned way.

89-90 was a time of renaissance. People who were able to see those shows saw the Dead at one of their highest points.[/quote]

Jerry's diabetic coma in the late 80s, had to relearn how to play guitar! Some of those shows in I believe 86 or so could be sad to watch (and hear).

He sure bounced back in the 90s.[/quote]
68-69, 72, 74, 77, 89-90.[/quote]

Of course, all those years are great, but you didn't mention my sentimental favorite year, 1970. Those acoustic sets...[/quote]
We could easily have a vortex on Harpur College.[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1IWty7cZIk[/quote]
And who can forget Feb 13-14 at the Fillmore East? It doesn't get much better. The Allman Brothers and Love played that night as well.[/quote]

Can't remember off the top of my head the show where the Dead and Allmans played together...[/quote]
7/7/69 Atlanta; 2/11 and 2/14/70 at the Fillmore East; 5/10/70; 11/21/70; and apparently about a dozen other times, according to the interwebs... including Watkins Glen. http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... -dead.html

I didn't know there was more than one.[/quote]

I thought maybe there were 2 (I mean with them on the stage at the same time, or at least Duane and maybe Gregg). Do you mean that, or shows where both bands played their own sets?[/quote]
The article I quotes does not clearly distinguish between the two, but there appears to have been several times when they actually jammed together.[/quote]

Very cool. My brother probably knew this.[/quote]
Here is a list based on Deadbase[/quote]This got lost above... 2/11/70 Lovelight with both bands[/quote]

Of course all I had to do was to get off my butt and fetch Deadbase from the closet, but that's an eight-foot walk all the way to the other side of the room!

Am debating a walk to the kitchen for a beer, but three beers would make me batty as the three bears right now...

could spice up the almighty vortex, though. In a good way? Well, it's like a Dead show. You never knew what you would hear, and though they rarely played badly, they didn't always play great. Some trainwrecks from time to time...need to find that recording of when they attempted to play Doin' That Rag live (a song which intentionally uses I believe every major and minor triad, or at least enharmonic equivalents) and simply fell apart towards the end...[/quote]
I'll bet that Phil had a lot of input on "Doin' that Rag"[/quote]

Probably so with his classical training. I think (though this is a guess) that Jerry also thought it would be cool to have a song using basically every possible major and minor triad. Not sure it's EVERY SINGLE ONE, 12 major/12 minor, but it is at least close.[/quote]
Presently: "Mason's Children" from Fallout from the Phil Zone[/quote]

Unusual, but good song. I like how they did it in the really, really early years. 1966, that is...[/quote]
List your favorite years[/quote]

It's like listing desert island blends, but just for kicks (though I could change my mind before you reply):

1990[/quote]
Maybe we should say what are the three desert island years... At any rate, I think I'm changing my 60's years to 66 and 68. Valentine's Day '68 in the Carousel Ballroom is quality.

One of these days, I need some suggestions for shows from 1980.[/quote]

The Warfield shows: 9-25-80, 9/26, 9/27, 9/29, 9/30, 10/2-3-4, 10/6-7-9-10-11-13-14. All begin with an acoustic set.[/quote]
Very, very nice. bt.etree.org, here I come.[/quote]

It is an encyclopedic revival of the acoustic phase from 1970, right after Keith died.[/quote]
I just got the torrent information for a couple of them; 10/2 and 14. "Alabama Getaway" is on both. I like that one.[/quote]

Can't imagine why... :wink:[/quote]
:D[/quote]

I like Alabama Getaway in a quirky sort of way, for its quirkiness. I still think it's kind of a strange song.

I have only ridden through Alabama once, c. 1983, when a childhood friend (he was not a good friend, I now see; a truly spiteful person in his teen years who loved to build himself up by tearing others down, an atheist who loved to claim he was possessed by Satan; nice stuff like that) and I went to Florida on a road trip to meet some of the members of his family who were peculiar in more positive ways.

His dad decided not to take the Interstate, but to take state roads from NC to Ft. Walton Beach through SC, Alabama...

I'm sure Alabama is great, but we were going down those backroads with ramshackle shacks half of which were inhabited and seemed to have no electricity, and AC through the holes in the roof. Towns with kids walking down Main Street barefoot...

Don't worry: plenty of places in VA and NC like that, and nothing could be worse than a major city, except around the edges of them.[/quote][/quote]How very silly.
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Post by SmokinGordon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 pm

So thankful for the Grateful Dead!
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

Irish-Dane

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Oh my goodness gracious, that is a crazy vortex.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:Oh my goodness gracious, that is a crazy vortex.
I did my best

:egor:

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 am

What are you listening to?

4-26-72 Jahrhundert Halle; Frankfurt, West Germany

One of the Europe '72 shows would be a good place to begin exploring the music of the Grateful Dead. Not only is the band in top form, the sound quality is generally quite good, since this tour was recorded using a 16 track tape, which allowed for post-production mastering. Not only that, several of the shows have "Truckin'" and "Casey Jones," songs that are actually played on the radio (most Grateful Dead stuff is too long to be radio-friendly).

Used copies of Hundred Years Hall" can be found cheaply on the internet, though the full show is still available from Dead.net for $30.

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Thu May 15, 2014 8:31 am

Conundrums, contractions and juxtapositions of the 21st Century.

I am alive and thankful for the Internet which allows me to listen to Grateful Dead Radio while I use my computer to work on a newsletter which I will send by snail mail to people who are stuck in the 20th century but were appalled by that era´s musicians such as Jerry Garcia and his buddies.
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"