'Merica

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Post Reply
User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7028
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: 'Merica

Post by durangopipe » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:04 pm

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23659
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by JimVH » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm

That's right, who needs the nasty cereal part.

Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37041
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:22 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37041
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:41 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs
Posts: 39069
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by Del » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:27 am

This is good news for the Party of Change (you know..... 'cause America sucks, so we need "progress").

This also fits the paradigm of those who want to restore America to the way we used to be (you know.... making America Great "Again").


That Lancet study is missing a critical measurement. It fails to measure how many children are living in homes with their their natural mother and father.... or at least in homes with a father or step-father present.

Having a father present is critical to producing good results in many categories, such as reduced poverty, reduced gun violence, increased childhood health and well-being and academic success, etc.

Cultures with strong families will thrive, whether they are more socialist (like Scandinavians) or more capitalist (like America of Greatest Generation).

Cultures with fractured families cannot run themselves well under any system.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: 'Merica

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:35 am

BTW Canada is number 9 on that list. The UK is number 5 on the list. Ergo, if you had not rebelled you treasonous devils, then you might be better off.

We should actually get some measure of religiosity in the countries because it may be that religion is not helpful. Or maybe religiosity occurs inversely proportional to progress ie further down the list is more likely to be more religious.

And what happened to the Kiwis? They're below the bloody Americans!
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: 'Merica

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Makes one wonder why so many more people immigrate the U.S. than any other country in the world. Perhaps most people are more concerned with personal liberties than with how many of their neighbors smoke and the other factors The Lancet deems critical to national 'greatness' (or as Rusty put it national 'progress').
Image
(For Bob, Source)
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: 'Merica

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:24 pm

And BTW Rusty, thanks for the slap in the face to the 98% of CPS'er who are both American and religious. f*** you too.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: 'Merica

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:55 pm

FredS wrote:And BTW Rusty, thanks for the slap in the face to the 98% of CPS'er who are both American and religious. f*** you too.
What slap? That was a bit of affectionate teasing. Is it only 98% American?

Did you notice that the Russian Federation is 2nd to the US a destination of choice? People are weird.
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37041
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Makes one wonder why so many more people immigrate the U.S. than any other country in the world. Perhaps most people are more concerned with personal liberties than with how many of their neighbors smoke and the other factors The Lancet deems critical to national 'greatness' (or as Rusty put it national 'progress').
Image
(For Bob, Source)
Most people come to the US, at least from what I read in the past, for the opportunity. Lately the middle class has been shrinking (although it is rebounding in the very latest numbers) but many immigrates want to better themselves and the family status. In most countries, you are born into a station or status within the culture and it is difficult to move up. Not so in the USA.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10856
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: 'Merica

Post by Onyx » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:10 pm

Rusty wrote:
BTW Canada is number 9 on that list. The UK is number 5 on the list. Ergo, if you had not rebelled you treasonous devils, then you might be better off.

We should actually get some measure of religiosity in the countries because it may be that religion is not helpful. Or maybe religiosity occurs inversely proportional to progress ie further down the list is more likely to be more religious.

And what happened to the Kiwis? They're below the bloody Americans!
Yeah, I saw that. I'm guessing that they heavily weighted the suicide and traffic injury rates - as well they should. NZ is not the paradise that the brochures like to pretend. Had they also weighted healthcare and a couple of other factors, NZ might have snuck into 27th place.

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23659
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by JimVH » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:17 pm


User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7028
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: 'Merica

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:34 pm

Now we're talkin'!
In my youth, I coulda done it, I swear.

Later, of course, we'd have a one man reenactment of the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37041
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:37 am

The Burger/Burrito Mashup The World Apparently Asked For Is Coming To Park Slope Next Year
"It has its own unique flavor," Burgito's co-owner Darin Laby told DNAinfo. "When you eat a burger on a bun, you get a lot of bun. When you have a burrito, you get a lot of rice and beans." The burgito takes away all of these (good) elements—there's no bun, no beans, no rice.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket
Posts: 4203
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: 'Merica

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:30 am

UncleBob wrote:The Burger/Burrito Mashup The World Apparently Asked For Is Coming To Park Slope Next Year
"It has its own unique flavor," Burgito's co-owner Darin Laby told DNAinfo. "When you eat a burger on a bun, you get a lot of bun. When you have a burrito, you get a lot of rice and beans." The burgito takes away all of these (good) elements—there's no bun, no beans, no rice.
We have a lot of places around here that wrap burgers with a tortilla. Actually pretty good with green chili.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37041
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:57 am

GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:The Burger/Burrito Mashup The World Apparently Asked For Is Coming To Park Slope Next Year
"It has its own unique flavor," Burgito's co-owner Darin Laby told DNAinfo. "When you eat a burger on a bun, you get a lot of bun. When you have a burrito, you get a lot of rice and beans." The burgito takes away all of these (good) elements—there's no bun, no beans, no rice.
We have a lot of places around here that wrap burgers with a tortilla. Actually pretty good with green chili.
With fries and cheese as well?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19246
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:19 am

UncleBob wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:The Burger/Burrito Mashup The World Apparently Asked For Is Coming To Park Slope Next Year
"It has its own unique flavor," Burgito's co-owner Darin Laby told DNAinfo. "When you eat a burger on a bun, you get a lot of bun. When you have a burrito, you get a lot of rice and beans." The burgito takes away all of these (good) elements—there's no bun, no beans, no rice.
We have a lot of places around here that wrap burgers with a tortilla. Actually pretty good with green chili.
With fries and cheese as well?
You had Bob at "chili," I'm thinking. :chili:
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket
Posts: 4203
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: 'Merica

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:22 am

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:The Burger/Burrito Mashup The World Apparently Asked For Is Coming To Park Slope Next Year
"It has its own unique flavor," Burgito's co-owner Darin Laby told DNAinfo. "When you eat a burger on a bun, you get a lot of bun. When you have a burrito, you get a lot of rice and beans." The burgito takes away all of these (good) elements—there's no bun, no beans, no rice.
We have a lot of places around here that wrap burgers with a tortilla. Actually pretty good with green chili.
With fries and cheese as well?
You had Bob at "chili," I'm thinking. :chili:
Cheese yes, don't think I've seen the fries thing.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37041
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by UncleBob » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:27 am

GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
UncleBob wrote:The Burger/Burrito Mashup The World Apparently Asked For Is Coming To Park Slope Next Year
"It has its own unique flavor," Burgito's co-owner Darin Laby told DNAinfo. "When you eat a burger on a bun, you get a lot of bun. When you have a burrito, you get a lot of rice and beans." The burgito takes away all of these (good) elements—there's no bun, no beans, no rice.
We have a lot of places around here that wrap burgers with a tortilla. Actually pretty good with green chili.
With fries and cheese as well?
You had Bob at "chili," I'm thinking. :chili:
Cheese yes, don't think I've seen the fries thing.
Personally, I have tried the burger wrap (that's what they call them here) and found them to be "meh". I don't know why but hamburger patty is not as good, IMO, as ground beef in a tortilla. But the idea of burger, fixins', and fries on a tortilla seems sufficiently different to earn the "burgito" name.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Cliff
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4184
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
Contact:

Re: 'Merica

Post by Cliff » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am

Th US is ahead of Russia in immigration because all the crazy people in the world are now moving to California.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOUR PIPE
What is a rebel?-A man who says No- Albert Camus

"I have set my course for uncharted seas." Paradisio, Canto II, v 9, Dante

Post Reply