What the Hell Is Going On?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Post Reply
User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32992
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by John-Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:11 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:55 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:38 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm
Long sustained belly laugh!
Point is, there's a difference between figuring out a person some one is trying to date, and figuring out issues related to men and women in the context of heated modern politics, such as in regards to feminism, women's rights, and things of that nature - wouldn't you agree?

Wouldn't you also agree that if people have been dating and marrying since pre-literate ancient times, a privileged millennial should have it somewhat easy in that regard, at least as far as access to knowledge goes?
The rules of dating are as complex and varied across time as the culture in which people live and lived.
I agree with you on that, though I was talking about "understanding the opposite sex" about on a purely physical or instinctive level, which is comparatively simple enough that all peoples which managed not to go extinct from ancient to today figured it out as much as needed. (Which is why i can't sympathize easily with someone arguing that it's "easier" to just give up and drop out of the gene pool altogether).

Culture is where things become much more complex and obfuscated, and I'd agree that there are many more complicated and obfuscated cultural elements today than there arguably were in some generations past.
Image
Romance has to be forged and refined from the crude and real, much as diamonds are forged from ugly coal.

Coal without refinement is just... coal... refinement without coal to refine is just... ether...
Image
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:18 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:11 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:55 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:38 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm
Long sustained belly laugh!
Point is, there's a difference between figuring out a person some one is trying to date, and figuring out issues related to men and women in the context of heated modern politics, such as in regards to feminism, women's rights, and things of that nature - wouldn't you agree?

Wouldn't you also agree that if people have been dating and marrying since pre-literate ancient times, a privileged millennial should have it somewhat easy in that regard, at least as far as access to knowledge goes?
The rules of dating are as complex and varied across time as the culture in which people live and lived.
I agree with you on that, though I was talking about "understanding the opposite sex" about on a purely physical or instinctive level, which is comparatively simple enough that all peoples which managed not to go extinct from ancient to today figured it out as much as needed. (Which is why i can't sympathize easily with someone arguing that it's "easier" to just give up and drop out of the gene pool altogether).

Culture is where things become much more complex and obfuscated, and I'd agree that there are many more complicated and obfuscated cultural elements today than there arguably were in some generations past.
Image
Romance has to be forged and refined from the crude and real, much as diamonds are forged from ugly coal.

Coal without refinement is just... coal... refinement without coal to refine is just... ether...
Image
I want to forge jewels from your flaws, and you to forge jewels from mine... so that your true self might shine...
Last edited by Nature of a Man on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32992
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by John-Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:18 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:11 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:55 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:38 pm
Nature of a Man wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:59 pm
Long sustained belly laugh!
Point is, there's a difference between figuring out a person some one is trying to date, and figuring out issues related to men and women in the context of heated modern politics, such as in regards to feminism, women's rights, and things of that nature - wouldn't you agree?

Wouldn't you also agree that if people have been dating and marrying since pre-literate ancient times, a privileged millennial should have it somewhat easy in that regard, at least as far as access to knowledge goes?
The rules of dating are as complex and varied across time as the culture in which people live and lived.
I agree with you on that, though I was talking about "understanding the opposite sex" about on a purely physical or instinctive level, which is comparatively simple enough that all peoples which managed not to go extinct from ancient to today figured it out as much as needed. (Which is why i can't sympathize easily with someone arguing that it's "easier" to just give up and drop out of the gene pool altogether).

Culture is where things become much more complex and obfuscated, and I'd agree that there are many more complicated and obfuscated cultural elements today than there arguably were in some generations past.
Image
Romance has to be forged and refined from the crude and real, much as diamonds are forged from ugly coal.

Coal without refinement is just... coal... refinement without coal to refine is just... ether...
Image
I want to forge jewels from your flaws, and you to forge jewels from mine...
Image
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16985
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm

I like where this thread is going. Carry on, gentlemen. I see good things here.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35775
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:32 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm
I like where this thread is going. Carry on, gentlemen. I see good things here.
Gay marriage thread?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32992
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by John-Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:34 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:32 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm
I like where this thread is going. Carry on, gentlemen. I see good things here.
Gay marriage thread?
Image
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35775
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:36 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:34 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:32 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm
I like where this thread is going. Carry on, gentlemen. I see good things here.
Gay marriage thread?
Image
:chili:

Fabulous.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Nature of a Man » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:01 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:32 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:21 pm
I like where this thread is going. Carry on, gentlemen. I see good things here.
Gay marriage thread?
Nah, just bromance. :oops:

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35775
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:27 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35775
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Strange waves rippled around the world, and nobody knows why
On the morning of November 11, just before 9:30 UT, a mysterious rumble rolled around the world.

The seismic waves began roughly 15 miles off the shores of Mayotte, a French island sandwiched between Africa and the northern tip of Madagascar. The waves buzzed across Africa, ringing sensors in Zambia, Kenya, and Ethiopia. They traversed vast oceans, humming across Chile, New Zealand, Canada, and even Hawaii nearly 11,000 miles away.

These waves didn't just zip by; they rang for more than 20 minutes. And yet, it seems, no human felt them.[/url]
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35775
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 am

Dutch girl's 'hijacked' party invite prompts riot fears
It began as a Snapchat message from a 15-year-old girl to all her friends to come to her birthday party on Friday in the small Dutch town of Katwijk.

But her plans turned into a nightmare when one of them posted the invite on Facebook and prompted interest from thousands of people nationwide.

The mayor said the party was hijacked. The girl has reportedly gone into hiding - and her party is cancelled.

Police feared a repeat of a Dutch party that went viral and ended in rioting.

Crowds of up to 4,000 people had to be broken up by riot police in September 2012, when a girl shared an invitation to her 16th birthday party in the northern town of Haren, but set the event on Facebook to public.

The party was dubbed Project X Haren, after a Hollywood comedy about a party that spirals out of control.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7889
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:19 am
Dutch girl's 'hijacked' party invite prompts riot fears
It began as a Snapchat message from a 15-year-old girl to all her friends to come to her birthday party on Friday in the small Dutch town of Katwijk.

But her plans turned into a nightmare when one of them posted the invite on Facebook and prompted interest from thousands of people nationwide.

The mayor said the party was hijacked. The girl has reportedly gone into hiding - and her party is cancelled.

Police feared a repeat of a Dutch party that went viral and ended in rioting.

Crowds of up to 4,000 people had to be broken up by riot police in September 2012, when a girl shared an invitation to her 16th birthday party in the northern town of Haren, but set the event on Facebook to public.

The party was dubbed Project X Haren, after a Hollywood comedy about a party that spirals out of control.
Sounds like Dutch folks can get out of control at the drop of a birthday hat.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 35775
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by UncleBob » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:13 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16985
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: What the Hell Is Going On?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Now, hang on just a minute. Who still goes to the movies??
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply