Lubbock in the News

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 10, 2016 10:23 am

JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Congratulations?
Houston is No. 4. So, well done?
We were robbed. We are much better at crime than that.
Don't let "The Man" keep you down.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Posts: 27248
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by JimVH » Tue May 10, 2016 10:27 am

UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Congratulations?
Houston is No. 4. So, well done?
We were robbed. We are much better at crime than that.
Don't let "The Man" keep you down.
I think it's telling that the towns with the lowest rankings tend to be the newer, smaller cities with reputations of having higher public safety budgets.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Wine complements food, helps with social interaction

Lubbockites are just starting to warm to this "new-fangled" drink called "wine".
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:06 pm

Owner refuses to take down sign that uses profanity to insult Hillary Clinton
"I don't agree with what the Obama administration has done, and I can't imagine four years of Hillary," Lee said. "I'm not a profane man, but some things just need to be said and I can say whatever I want. It's my right."
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:04 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am

Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by Del » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am
Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
If it was racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was anti-Trump zealots pretending to be racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was the Democrats, vandalizing their own property to win sympathetic attention, I really hope they get caught.

The good news is that the bi-partisan cooperation and widespread culture agrees to condemn the racism. If racism were a widespread problem, we'd have real trouble to solve.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am

Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am
Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
If it was racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was anti-Trump zealots pretending to be racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was the Democrats, vandalizing their own property to win sympathetic attention, I really hope they get caught.

The good news is that the bi-partisan cooperation and widespread culture agrees to condemn the racism. If racism were a widespread problem, we'd have real trouble to solve.
https://youtu.be/2XM3kHumke0
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by Del » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 am

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am
Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
If it was racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was anti-Trump zealots pretending to be racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was the Democrats, vandalizing their own property to win sympathetic attention, I really hope they get caught.

The good news is that the bi-partisan cooperation and widespread culture agrees to condemn the racism. If racism were a widespread problem, we'd have real trouble to solve.
https://youtu.be/2XM3kHumke0
It is interesting... not good, but interesting... that we have seemingly right-wing vandalism in Lubbock and seemingly left-wing terrorism in Madison.

http://christianpipesmokers.net/viewtop ... 6#p1133666


I hope it stops, along with the braying donkey vandalism on CPS.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 am

Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am
Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
If it was racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was anti-Trump zealots pretending to be racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was the Democrats, vandalizing their own property to win sympathetic attention, I really hope they get caught.

The good news is that the bi-partisan cooperation and widespread culture agrees to condemn the racism. If racism were a widespread problem, we'd have real trouble to solve.
https://youtu.be/2XM3kHumke0
It is interesting... not good, but interesting... that we have seemingly right-wing vandalism in Lubbock and seemingly left-wing terrorism in Madison.

http://christianpipesmokers.net/viewtop ... 6#p1133666


I hope it stops, along with the braying donkey vandalism on CPS.
https://youtu.be/2XM3kHumke0
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by Del » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:41 am

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am
Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
If it was racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was anti-Trump zealots pretending to be racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was the Democrats, vandalizing their own property to win sympathetic attention, I really hope they get caught.

The good news is that the bi-partisan cooperation and widespread culture agrees to condemn the racism. If racism were a widespread problem, we'd have real trouble to solve.
DONKEY
It is interesting... not good, but interesting... that we have seemingly right-wing vandalism in Lubbock and seemingly left-wing terrorism in Madison.

http://christianpipesmokers.net/viewtop ... 6#p1133666


I hope it stops, along with the braying donkey vandalism on CPS.
DONKEY
I like the way that you say, "Please."
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster
Posts: 23561
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by Thunktank » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 am

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am
Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
If it was racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was anti-Trump zealots pretending to be racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was the Democrats, vandalizing their own property to win sympathetic attention, I really hope they get caught.

The good news is that the bi-partisan cooperation and widespread culture agrees to condemn the racism. If racism were a widespread problem, we'd have real trouble to solve.
https://youtu.be/2XM3kHumke0
It is interesting... not good, but interesting... that we have seemingly right-wing vandalism in Lubbock and seemingly left-wing terrorism in Madison.

http://christianpipesmokers.net/viewtop ... 6#p1133666


I hope it stops, along with the braying donkey vandalism on CPS.
https://youtu.be/2XM3kHumke0
Image

We need a good elephant video for the donkey if this is the dumb game Bob wants to play for the next many moons.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am

Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:41 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:03 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:53 am
Del wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am
UncleBob wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am
Lubbock Democratic headquarters vandalism sparks bi-partisan responses
The Lubbock County Democratic Party headquarters was vandalized over the weekend with spray painted symbols associated with white supremacy and Neo-Nazism spread across the building.
Whew! Glad that racism doesn't exist.
If it was racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was anti-Trump zealots pretending to be racists, I hope they get caught.

If it was the Democrats, vandalizing their own property to win sympathetic attention, I really hope they get caught.

The good news is that the bi-partisan cooperation and widespread culture agrees to condemn the racism. If racism were a widespread problem, we'd have real trouble to solve.
DONKEY
It is interesting... not good, but interesting... that we have seemingly right-wing vandalism in Lubbock and seemingly left-wing terrorism in Madison.

http://christianpipesmokers.net/viewtop ... 6#p1133666


I hope it stops, along with the braying donkey vandalism on CPS.
DONKEY
I like the way that you say, "Please."
https://youtu.be/2XM3kHumke0
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH
Posts: 23857
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by hugodrax » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am

Delightful!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by Pepik » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:40 am

Damnit Kids - don't make me turn this forum around...
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Lubbock police: Man arrested after brief bicycle pursuit following beer bottle and knife attack
Lubbock police arrested a man after he reportedly attacked several people and threw a knife at a vehicle before leading police on a brief pursuit while on a bicycle Tuesday night in Central Lubbock.

Miguel Mendoza, 22, was arrested on three counts of aggravated assault, evading arrest, criminal trespass and resisting arrest following the incident, according to Lubbock police spokeswoman Tiffany Pelt.
Woman Jailed After Violent Incident With Frying Pan
LUBBOCK, TX - Lubbock Police arrested Clara Annette Conner, 54, of Lubbock late Tuesday night for aggravated assault, resisting arrest and assault on a public servant.

Police were called to the 1500 block of East Connell Street. Officers were told that a woman was swinging a frying pan at another woman.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37311
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Multiple bomb threats in Lubbock, today. One in a bank, where they recovered a pipe bomb, and one on Texas Tech campus. Mrs. UB had to evacuate.

http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/l ... /860983014
http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/new ... -contained
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser
Posts: 44187
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by Del » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:26 pm

Lubbock, TX Declared It Was ‘Sanctuary For The Unborn.’ Planned Parenthood Challenged It. Court Rules For Lubbock.


A federal court dismissed Planned Parenthood’s challenge to the city of Lubbock, Texas, which had passed an ordinance declaring the city a “Sanctuary for the Unborn,” and stated, “Abortion at all times and all stages of pregnancy is declared to be an act of murder.” The ordinance made it illegal to procure or perform an abortion or to aid or abet an abortion within the city limits.

Unfortunately, the decision was not prompted by any recognition that the citizens of Lubbock have a natural duty to protect the natural right to life of all human persons in Lubbock.

It's simply that Planned Parenthood does not have standing to sue in federal court, because the federal court does not have jurisdiction to void a state or local law in this way. (You'd think that Planned Parenthood's lawyers would have known that, right?)
In dismissing Planned Parenthood’s challenge, the federal court wrote:

Plaintiffs allege the ordinance is invalid because it violates federal constitutional rights, could not validly create civil liability between private parties, and is preempted by state law. But plaintiffs admit that even if the Court gave them everything they wanted, the Court’s ruling would not bar private citizens from bringing suit in state court, bind the state judiciary by its ruling, or force the ordinance’s repeal. Because the ability to remedy a plaintiff’s injury through a favorable decision is a prerequisite to a plaintiff’s standing to sue—an ability absent here—the Court dismisses the case for lack of jurisdiction.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 29373
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:21 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:26 pm
Lubbock, TX Declared It Was ‘Sanctuary For The Unborn.’ Planned Parenthood Challenged It. Court Rules For Lubbock.


A federal court dismissed Planned Parenthood’s challenge to the city of Lubbock, Texas, which had passed an ordinance declaring the city a “Sanctuary for the Unborn,” and stated, “Abortion at all times and all stages of pregnancy is declared to be an act of murder.” The ordinance made it illegal to procure or perform an abortion or to aid or abet an abortion within the city limits.

Unfortunately, the decision was not prompted by any recognition that the citizens of Lubbock have a natural duty to protect the natural right to life of all human persons in Lubbock.

It's simply that Planned Parenthood does not have standing to sue in federal court, because the federal court does not have jurisdiction to void a state or local law in this way. (You'd think that Planned Parenthood's lawyers would have known that, right?)
In dismissing Planned Parenthood’s challenge, the federal court wrote:

Plaintiffs allege the ordinance is invalid because it violates federal constitutional rights, could not validly create civil liability between private parties, and is preempted by state law. But plaintiffs admit that even if the Court gave them everything they wanted, the Court’s ruling would not bar private citizens from bringing suit in state court, bind the state judiciary by its ruling, or force the ordinance’s repeal. Because the ability to remedy a plaintiff’s injury through a favorable decision is a prerequisite to a plaintiff’s standing to sue—an ability absent here—the Court dismisses the case for lack of jurisdiction.
Well that's certainly good news! :D
perpendicularly parked in a parallel universe

User avatar
JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Posts: 27248
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Lubbock in the News

Post by JimVH » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:11 am

I miss UB.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

Post Reply