Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Post Reply

Do you wear a wrist watch?

Yes. I am a man, you see.
21
70%
No, I am one of them millennials. I use a cell phone, like Jocose.
4
13%
TACOS!
1
3%
A_Morely with Timex breeches.
1
3%
I want to but my wife/girlfriend won't let me have one.
0
No votes
Ahem. Pocket watch, b******!
3
10%
 
Total votes: 30

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14319
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Cleon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:19 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:23 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 am
JimVH wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:08 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Image

Image
That. Is. Beautiful.
Yeah. That's a a beauty.
+1

I'm off to look at Seikos now. Thanks alot.
I've been looking at chronographs. I'm always timing something. Me jogging. Steaks on the grill. The kids. Whatever. I NEED a nice chronograph.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14319
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am

Image
I ended up with this one. I just couldn't pass up the chronograph, water resistance, and the slide rule bezel. A slide rule, yay! It's the smallest flight watch that I could find that Seiko makes. I don't like huge watches.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21388
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Texas Bound

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Thunktank » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 am

This is what my favorite watch looks like:

Image

I really like Tsovet watches. They are an American owned company that uses Swiss and Japanese quartz. Some of their watches are Swiss made. They were a local start up a few years ago and I got to know the company. But I really did like their watch style and business ethic.

I also wear about five different TIMEX watches from the “Expedition” series.
Image

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:53 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am
Image
I ended up with this one. I just couldn't pass up the chronograph, water resistance, and the slide rule bezel. A slide rule, yay! It's the smallest flight watch that I could find that Seiko makes. I don't like huge watches.
I know this watch . . .

That slide rule is incredibly useful. It has all kinds of unit conversions on it in addition to doing calculations.
I think I mentioned this a long time ago: in the past I accumulated a rather large collection of slide rules, mostly Log-Log engineering rules, but also a few specialized ones like artillery slide rules.I have a teaching slide rule (an 8' wooden version of the Pickett 803 ES) in my office at school.

A slide rule watch for the collection?
Get thee behind me, Satan.

It looks GREAT!
Enjoy it, Cleon.

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 am
This is what my favorite watch looks like:

Image

I really like Tsovet watches. They are an American owned company that uses Swiss and Japanese quartz. Some of their watches are Swiss made. They were a local start up a few years ago and I got to know the company. But I really did like their watch style and business ethic.

I also wear about five different TIMEX watches from the “Expedition” series.
A beautiful, truly unique watch, Thunk. It looks like an aircraft instrument.


Is there such a thing as WAD? Wad?
WAD. As in, "I have Watch Acquisition Disorder so bad I've ended up with one helluva wad of watches."

I now know there is.
I've perused the watch fanatic sites online.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14319
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:36 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:53 am
Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am
Image
I ended up with this one. I just couldn't pass up the chronograph, water resistance, and the slide rule bezel. A slide rule, yay! It's the smallest flight watch that I could find that Seiko makes. I don't like huge watches.
I know this watch . . .

That slide rule is incredibly useful. It has all kinds of unit conversions on it in addition to doing calculations.
I think I mentioned this a long time ago: in the past I accumulated a rather large collection of slide rules, mostly Log-Log engineering rules, but also a few specialized ones like artillery slide rules.I have a teaching slide rule (an 8' wooden version of the Pickett 803 ES) in my office at school.

A slide rule watch for the collection?
Get thee behind me, Satan.

It looks GREAT!
Enjoy it, Cleon.

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 am
This is what my favorite watch looks like:

Image

I really like Tsovet watches. They are an American owned company that uses Swiss and Japanese quartz. Some of their watches are Swiss made. They were a local start up a few years ago and I got to know the company. But I really did like their watch style and business ethic.

I also wear about five different TIMEX watches from the “Expedition” series.
A beautiful, truly unique watch, Thunk. It looks like an aircraft instrument.


Is there such a thing as WAD? Wad?
WAD. As in, "I have Watch Acquisition Disorder so bad I've ended up with one helluva wad of watches."

I now know there is.
I've perused the watch fanatic sites online.
Pipes, hats, fountain pens, watches, bow ties... out of all the ADs, WAD has the potential to be the mo$t Expen$ive by far. I've spent so much time on watch sites over the last week that I feel like I'm committing adultery on my favorite pipe site. :lol:

The Bambino line is just wonderful. I think you snagged a good first automatic. It's the defining watch for the Orient brand, IMO. I'm really considering it. I'd like to have one good dress watch that doesn't break the bank. The problem with most modern watches, to me, is that they are too big. Even the Bambino. A dress watch, especially, should not be too big. I'd like to see it in 36-38mm.

I started with a 1930s-1940s era Bulova that my dad passed on to me when I was 12. It's only about 28mm in diameter compared to 40mm or more or modern watches. I've always worn a watch since then and since I started small, I prefer small... but it seems like watches just keep growing in size. Hopefully, the trend reverses. I can go a little over 40mm, but no larger.

Here's a pic for comparison: The vintage Bulova (needs refurbished) 28mm, and a Timex Expedition(40mm).
Image
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Here’s a closeup of the face of the Seiko Flightmaster in case anyone is curious:

Image

While I have the instantly available rationalization that, no, I have not come down with watch acquisition disorder - this acquisition would be for my slide rule collection, and as much as I like the look and functionality of this watch I will resist.

Must.
Resist.

(Even though I had looked at it recently and know of a reputable dealer in Singapore that currently has it available at an incredibly low price.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14319
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Cleon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:29 pm
Here’s a closeup of the face of the Seiko Flightmaster in case anyone is curious:

Image

While I have the instantly available rationalization that, no, I have not come down with watch acquisition disorder - this acquisition would be for my slide rule collection, and as much as I like the look and functionality of this watch I will resist.

Must.
Resist.

(Even though I had looked at it recently and know of a reputable dealer in Singapore that currently has it available at an incredibly low price.)
How much?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Pepik » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:12 pm

Yesh
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:26 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:29 pm
Here’s a closeup of the face of the Seiko Flightmaster in case anyone is curious:

Image

While I have the instantly available rationalization that, no, I have not come down with watch acquisition disorder - this acquisition would be for my slide rule collection, and as much as I like the look and functionality of this watch I will resist.

Must.
Resist.

(Even though I had looked at it recently and know of a reputable dealer in Singapore that currently has it available at an incredibly low price.)
How much?
$120 @ Creation Watches
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

plhildy
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 am

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by plhildy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Yes. Three Timex Expedition's and a Stauer for "dress up". That means ware a tie to church. The late wife gave me a Colibri pocket watch, seldom use it, have to remember to wind it.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm

Well . . .

After getting the Orient Bambino so I would have a dress watch to wear when necessary (and as it turns out I have several formal occasions coming up) instead of my old, beat up Expedition, my Expedition looked pretty ratty to me.

Of course the searches online for information about watches before that purchase put me on every watch retailer in the world’s email/online advertising list. Watch ads started appearing on all my webpage ad spaces . . .

Then the sales.
Then the coupons.

Then the rationalizations.

A new battery for the Expedition will cost . . . new band, that crystal is a mess and the case is covered with scratches, yaddayadda, 100 meters water resistance would be nice for fishing, yaddayadda . . .

And I just got news that l’d won an award that carries a nice monetary prize and Mrs. Durangopipe allowed as how I should spend some of it on something for myself before putting the rest into the family budget . . .

Next thing you know, a new “everyday” watch in the mail.

Image

Seiko SNDC89P2, quartz chronograph. $85 - on sale and with the additional 14% off coupon at Overstock.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7039
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:41 pm

Congrats on the award! That watch is a beauty!

I have a weaknes as well for watches. I sold 3 of my 4 Bulova watches, keeping only the Aerojet. I need to get the bracelet on my big blue faced watch shortened and my dress tanker Timex is looking ratty. maybe time to start looking again....my wife just mentioned that I have a brand new band on my Citizen, why can't I wear that for dress.........oh well...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
rgcurrey
Elder
Elder
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:41 pm
Congrats on the award! That watch is a beauty!
What he said plus that looks like quite the deal too.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14319
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Cleon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:51 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm
Well . . .

After getting the Orient Bambino so I would have a dress watch to wear when necessary (and as it turns out I have several formal occasions coming up) instead of my old, beat up Expedition, my Expedition looked pretty ratty to me.

Of course the searches online for information about watches before that purchase put me on every watch retailer in the world’s email/online advertising list. Watch ads started appearing on all my webpage ad spaces . . .

Then the sales.
Then the coupons.

Then the rationalizations.

A new battery for the Expedition will cost . . . new band, that crystal is a mess and the case is covered with scratches, yaddayadda, 100 meters water resistance would be nice for fishing, yaddayadda . . .

And I just got news that l’d won an award that carries a nice monetary prize and Mrs. Durangopipe allowed as how I should spend some of it on something for myself before putting the rest into the family budget . . .

Next thing you know, a new “everyday” watch in the mail.

Image

Seiko SNDC89P2, quartz chronograph. $85 - on sale and with the additional 14% off coupon at Overstock.
Noice. You got a great deal.

I got this one last week for summer: Image


and this one on the way: Image in the smaller 38mm size. Just like pipes, I like my watches on the smaller side.

I am a complete Seikophile at this point. I've worn one for years and the fire is still there. I love Japanese attention to detail. Is there anything the Japanese don't do well? Coco and Hugo, you aren't allowed to answer that question.

Anyone interested in Seikos should check out http://www.watchsleuth.com/. It's a great help in sorting through all their models.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 pm

“Cleon” wrote: Noice. You got a great deal.

I got this one last week for summer: Image


and this one on the way: Image in the smaller 38mm size. Just like pipes, I like my watches on the smaller side.

I am a complete Seikophile at this point. I've worn one for years and the fire is still there. I love Japanese attention to detail. Is there anything the Japanese don't do well? Coco and Hugo, you aren't allowed to answer that question.

Anyone interested in Seikos should check out http://www.watchsleuth.com/. It's a great help in sorting through all their models.
Nice Seiko 5, and sweet diver, Cleon!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 32277
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 pm
“Cleon” wrote: Noice. You got a great deal.

I got this one last week for summer: Image


and this one on the way: Image in the smaller 38mm size. Just like pipes, I like my watches on the smaller side.

I am a complete Seikophile at this point. I've worn one for years and the fire is still there. I love Japanese attention to detail. Is there anything the Japanese don't do well? Coco and Hugo, you aren't allowed to answer that question.

Anyone interested in Seikos should check out http://www.watchsleuth.com/. It's a great help in sorting through all their models.
Nice Seiko 5, and sweet diver, Cleon!
I bought that same Seiko 5 a while back. They're frequently on sale in the $50 range. I put on a leather band I got off eBay. Great watch.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14319
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by Cleon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:17 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 pm
“Cleon” wrote: Noice. You got a great deal.

I got this one last week for summer: Image


and this one on the way: Image in the smaller 38mm size. Just like pipes, I like my watches on the smaller side.

I am a complete Seikophile at this point. I've worn one for years and the fire is still there. I love Japanese attention to detail. Is there anything the Japanese don't do well? Coco and Hugo, you aren't allowed to answer that question.

Anyone interested in Seikos should check out http://www.watchsleuth.com/. It's a great help in sorting through all their models.
Nice Seiko 5, and sweet diver, Cleon!
I bought that same Seiko 5 a while back. They're frequently on sale in the $50 range. I put on a leather band I got off eBay. Great watch.
Those 5s are just the greatest horological deal on the planet. I haven't worn leather in years and years because my body chemistry turns them crispy for some reason. I might try a leather strap now that they are cheaper and more readily available via online shops.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:38 pm

My Seiko Chronograph arrived today.

I wasn't crazy about the yellow stitched watchband - seemed a bit "loud" to me.
I had a nice black leather band from Berfind I swapped it out with. Toned it down a bit:

Image

It arrived without a box and with an apology saying that the boxes had been damaged in shipment from the supplier and I could either return the watch, wait for replacements to come and and they'd ship me a box, or I could get a $5.00 refund. I took the refund.

So I got the watch for $80.

(Added later: I just noticed that the “SEIKO” on the watch face, the hour and minute hands are orange in the photo, which is truly weird because they are actually silver - must have been reflecting something. But I can’t begin to figure out what. I’ll make another photo tomorrow that’s more accurate).
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 5279
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:24 am

The new every day carry . . .

Image

Far more accurate colors on the watch face.
Very happy with the higher quality band.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
rgcurrey
Elder
Elder
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: Do You Wear or Carry a Watch?

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:24 am
The new every day carry . . .

Image

Far more accurate colors on the watch face.
Very happy with the higher quality band.
An old school Cross ballpoint pen, I like it. Just don’t let the boys in the fountain pen thread find out or you will never hear the end of it. :lol:
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

And he said to the man,
"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom,
and to turn away from evil is understanding." - Job 28:28

Post Reply