The Burrito Thread

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: The Burrito Thread

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:33 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 am
UncleBob wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 am
JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm
Payton's chorizo, eggs, and some acadero cheese. Wrap it up in a nice tortilla and call it done.
<tear>
I need to turn in my Hispanic card, I misspelled asadero in my initial post (captured here, I corrected my posting).
Mrs. UB made carne guisada this weekend.

It was glorious.

Not actual Mrs. UB made carne guisada. Just some pic off the intertubes.
That and a couple of homemade tortillas could easily be my choice for a last meal.
Well, I did make corn tortillas.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:13 am
JimVH wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:42 pm
Payton's chorizo, eggs, and some acadero cheese. Wrap it up in a nice tortilla and call it done.
<tear>
I need to turn in my Hispanic card, I misspelled asadero in my initial post (captured here, I corrected my posting).
No worries, my gringo vocabulary didn't even catch it.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 am

This town needs better Mexican restaurants. I see now that "Tex-Mex" is not used the same way here as it is in, say, Texas. Up here it's a jargon meaning it's neither authentic to Mexico or Texas. It might have blown ol' Jim's gasket a touch, but the food all is really a variation on the burrito up here. Finding a stew or even tamales is impossible.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 am
This town needs better Mexican restaurants. I see now that "Tex-Mex" is not used the same way here as it is in, say, Texas. Up here it's a jargon meaning it's neither authentic to Mexico or Texas. It might have blown ol' Jim's gasket a touch, but the food all is really a variation on the burrito up here. Finding a stew or even tamales is impossible.
It usually has to do with the ability to get the right ingredients. I spent 20+ years on the east coast and only really found one Mexican restaurant that I really liked. Then God blessed me with a job in the southwest.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am
hugodrax wrote:
It usually has to do with the ability to get the right ingredients. I spent 20+ years on the east coast and only really found one Mexican restaurant that I really liked. Then God blessed me with a job in the southwest.
There's also the problem that we quite literally have zero Mexicans here. Top notch Argentinian food is easy to find, but no people of Mexican heritage.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
There's also the problem that we quite literally have zero Mexicans here. Top notch Argentinian food is easy to find, but no people of Mexican heritage.
You both hit on it.

We have an interesting competitive culture here with this genre food. The Mexican/Central American population is so dense there is great variety. The Mexican food places are quick to distinguish themselves from those from El Salvador and other countries (and vice versa), as well as from their own regional variations. There is great pride in their identity and food product no matter whether it's a fancy B&M place or a taco trailer and they are quick to let you know where they stand.

For the record, I dig all of them.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 pm

hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
You should try finding a taco stand in Israel or the West Bank.
Been there, tried that.
Many Holy sites are under the care of Franciscans, who mostly come from Mexico.
They could really dig a good taco truck.
It's a window of opportunity for some entrepreneur.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 pm
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Been there, tried that.
Yeah, to get blown up caught between warring first cousins.

Source on the most Franciscans being Mexican bit or do you mean most of the Francscans in the Holy Land are Mexican. Seems odd either way, somehow.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 pm
Hovannes wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Been there, tried that.

Source on the most Franciscans being Mexican bit or do you mean most of the Francscans in the Holy Land are Mexican. Seems odd either way, somehow.
Not a good neighborhood to start the crunchy vs soft argument.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

Been there, tried that.

Dunno if this qualifies, but …

New Holy Land Franciscans ordained to the joy of many

(Custodia) Saint Savior’s Church was packed on June 29 for the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul and for the ten Franciscan ordinations. Among them were six priests and four deacons. Some were from the Province of the Custody of the Holy Land, and others were sent here for all or part of their seminary studies and will return home. …

[…]

Those ordained were:

Priests
Br. Ulise Zarza – Argentinian, Custody of the Holy Land
Br. David Grenier – from Quebec (Canada) Custody of the Holy Land
Br. Filip Durdevic – Croatian, Province de Saint Cyrille et Saint Methodius in Croatia
Br. Alberto Joan Pari – Italian, Custody of the Holy Land
Br. Mario Berumen Mercado – Mexican, Province of Saint Francis et Saint James in Mexico
Br. Filiberto Dorantes Rodriguez – Mexican, Province of Saint Francis et Saint James in Mexico

Deacons
Br. Bozo Saraf – Croatian, Province of Saint Cyril et Saint Méthode en Croatie
Br. Andrew Ako-Hayford – Ghanaian, Custody of the Holy Land
Br. Hugo Pérez Villasana – Mexican, Province of Saint Francis et Saint James in Mexico
Br. Rodolfo Ramírez De La Torre – Mexican, Province of Saint Francis et Saint James in Mexico
4 outta 10 ain't bad, I s'pose.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Been there, tried that.

Franciscans in the Holy Land are/were predominantly Mexican when I was last there, shortly after the Tel Aviv International SCUD skeet shooting tournament.
We discussed Mexican food.
Of course there was Texan in the works as well.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Been there, tried that.

Franciscans in the Holy Land are/were predominantly Mexican when I was last there, shortly after the Tel Aviv International SCUD skeet shooting tournament.
We discussed Mexican food.
Of course there was Texan in the works as well.
Cool.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm

DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Been there, tried that.

:chili:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Been there, tried that.

:chili:
It's alright.
Feeding the hungry is one of the Corporal Acts of Mercy

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 pm

So. This is it; is it?

No discussion [ Kerdy rage quit arguments ] on tortilla diameter to quantify what is and what is not Buritto. Yes, ID, it IS a size thing.

And minimal, pathetic, musing on what is and is not internal burroito glorp worthy.

Is a “wet” Burrito still a Burrito? Does the color of said wetness come into the equation? Or is it wimpy because it wet itself?

Where are the shart jokes?

WHAT IN THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO YOU PEOPLE?
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:58 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 pm
So. This is it; is it?

No discussion [ Kerdy rage quit arguments ] on tortilla diameter to quantify what is and what is not Buritto. Yes, ID, it IS a size thing.

And minimal, pathetic, musing on what is and is not internal burroito glorp worthy.

Is a “wet” Burrito still a Burrito? Does the color of said wetness come into the equation? Or is it wimpy because it wet itself?

Where are the shart jokes?

WHAT IN THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO YOU PEOPLE?
Good points!
A wet burrito isn't a fajita burrito, although a fajita burrito can be a "wet" burrito but then there is no dignified way to eat it by hand---wet burritos are kind of like enchiladas without a cheese overcoat, no?

Tortilla diameter sadly no longer means anything, I fear, since "down-sizing" became the norm. Certainly there is an architectural element necessary to avert a burrito calamity. My own take on it is go big or go home.

Breakfast burritos are another matter entirely but still easy to make at home and delicious!

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 pm

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 am