JimVH's stories of the "old rental house"

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

JimVH's stories of the "old rental house"

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:48 pm

JimVH wrote:I once dropped my wedding band into the toilet in an old rent house (I could fill a whole thread with stories about this house)
Get busy typing there, Texas.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: JimVH's stories of the "old rental house"

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm

The back door leaked badly in a heavy rain. I had to buy a wetvac to keep on stand-by for storms. One day we were cleaning house. Rita let out a modest scream and called for me to come to the back door. There were mushrooms growing in the carpet along the wall.

This is the second of many. More to come.

I'm sure many of you have rent house horror stories. Jump on in, the water's fine.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 am

My very first rental, after moving out, was a large house located at the end of a dead end street, and bordered by cow pastures. I was ~19, in college, and only stayed there a few months before finding another place.
For starters it was definitely haunted. I remember roasting a wild goose and preparing a big meal for some friends once. We kept hearing footsteps, and took turns answering the doorbell or knocks at the door and finding no one there or anywhere to be seen. Some of the guys finally got so rattled, they left before dessert.
The landlord actually warned me about that, and the rats. The largest rats I've ever seen, still to this day. I invited some friends over with their .22's one evening, and it was like a war zone throughout the house and attic. I forget how many rats we killed, but it was a miracle that no one was injured.
It was in the winter, which was particularly cold that year, and the wind literally blew through the windows and froze the walls. I taped around all of the windows with duct tape, which helped some.
The landlord was an old Cajun, and he had a small statue in his living room, of a kid with his pants down, holding his little pee-pee, taking a whiz. I never asked where the statue came from, or why it was there or anything. But I was glad to get out.

Anyway, thanks Jim, for sharing your thread.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:09 am

Years ago I had a rental house.

One time a tenant of mine threatened to sue me for him slipping on the front porch while it was icy. I asked him to show me the bruises on his back from the fall.

When he lifted his shirt I saw waffle prints of size 12 boots on his back. I just smiled as I took pictures from my phone.

It never went any further.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 am

The roof was in horrible shape. New leaks appeared and old leaks worsened every storm. I used cheap plastic funnels, cut-up old garden hose, nails, and duct tape to create an ever-growing network of channels to catch and redirect the water. I kept a five gallon pickle bucket filled with supplies in the attic at the ready. It became a game and was truly a wonder to be seen. With some dim light and a little imagination it looked like a giant water park.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 am

First rental was a first floor apartment in an old turn of the century two story house.

The first winter there I would frequently wake up in the middle of the night and the power would be out. Only ours. So I'd make my way to the basement and sure enough our fuse would be blown. I was newly married and going to college so money was tight and I was getting tired of buying fuses. One night when I went down I noticed that the brand of fuse in our circuit was different than what I had put in it. The next night I stayed up and I stayed clothed. When our power went out I immediately went to the basement fuse box and ran into the upstairs tenant, an Asian foreign exchange student. He was switching his fuse with mine. He'd been blowing fuse after fuse with all his space heaters. So, I'm yelling and screaming at him and he goes into this I-can't-understand-you-I don't-speak-English charade which makes me want to beat him to a pulp because I know good and well he can understand me and speak English. So, long story short, after some puppy dog like apologies on his part I never had to go to the basement to change my fuse again. But...

I did have to go to the basement to thaw the main sewer line that was located just a few inches from the broken basement widow as it left our toilet on its way out the house. Screaming western wind would come right through and freeze the line. Every time the immediate upstairs neighbor would flush or run water all their sewage would hit the block in the frozen line and come up through our tub, toilet, and sink and just really go all over the place. I spent hours cleaning that bathroom more than once. Ugh. I finally convinced the landlord to put a space heater in the basement pointed at the line.

Also, at the time, I was newly married and 19 years old. When my wife and I had the chance to "sleep" in, we would. A lot. The landlord or the maintenance guy would feel at liberty to enter our apartment any time they wanted. One Saturday morning we were "sleeping" in and the maintenance guy walks right in, stands there, gets an eyeful, then the wrath of my embarrassed wife, and turns and walks out. After that, they called to schedule for maintenance and my wife was completely paranoid until we left that place. Mornings were never the same after that.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:46 am
The roof was in horrible shape. New leaks appeared and old leaks worsened every storm. I used cheap plastic funnels, cut-up old garden hose, nails, and duct tape to create an ever-growing network of channels to catch and redirect the water. I kept a five gallon pickle bucket filled with supplies in the attic at the ready. It became a game and was truly a wonder to be seen. With some dim light and a little imagination it looked like a giant water park.
Sounds like something that you could nowadays take a photo of and post on twitter and it would go viral.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 am

Our first rental was a tiny home before tiny homes were cool. A small farmhouse with a bathroom so small you could sit on the toilet and wash your feet in the shower and your hands in the sink. Back then, coyote pelts were still worth the trouble so I kept a single shot 12ga leaned in the corner of the bathroom which was right next to the back door. Storing a gun in the bathroom is a bad idea.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe