Death and Taxes

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Death and Taxes

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 am

Some things are as sure as death and taxes:

I found a switchblade pocket knife while walking the dogs the other day. Knife laws are so varied from state to state I have no idea whether this thing is legal or not. The place I found it makes me think someone tossed it. Anyway, it's impossible for me to have a switchblade within reach without flicking it open. I washed the mud out of this one and left it lying on the kitchen counter. Every time I've walked by it for the last week I've given it a couple of flicks.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33732
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:58 am

Bloodhound should be able to give you the legal 411 on that.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21069
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by JimVH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am

I couldn't leave it alone.
KnifeUp wrote:In Colorado you can own almost any knife as long as it is not a gravity knife, switchblade, or ballistic knife. All legal knives can be carried in the open. It is illegal to carry concealed a knife that is larger than 3.5 inches unless it is a fishing or hunting knife.
http://www.knifeup.com/colorado-knife-law/

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 am

I'm sorry I confused with my writing. Instead of writing "I have no idea whether this thing is legal or not", I should have wrote "I don't care if this thing is legal or not."

When I was perhaps 13 or 14 years old, my family visited my grandparents in southern AZ for Christmas. During our visit we drove to the border and walked over to Nogales Mexico. While there I bought a cheap switchblade even though I knew it was illegal back home. When we came back across the border we had to wait in line and I noticed that some people were taken aside for questions and searches. I surreptitiously slipped my knife in to my mothers purse, but as luck would have it, my family was waved through without incident. So no, knife laws have never stopped me from owning whatever knife struck my fancy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:34 am

But really, my intent of this thread was to share things that we find impossible to resit. Things that are as inevitable as death and taxes.

When making oatmeal or chocolate chip cookies, I'll eat a few cookies from each batch that comes out of the oven. So many that I'll inevitably get an upset stomach.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14314
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by Cleon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Well, I can't resist picking a hangnail.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole
Posts: 9525
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by OldWorldSwine » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:59 pm

It takes an act of willpower for me not to buy cool old pocketknives in the antique shops. There is something awesomely great about pocketknives. I even did a painting of a few. I would be more driven to collect pocketknives than pipes, if I took a notion to start collecting.
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21069
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by JimVH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Pipes, knives, and if you ask Rita, kayaks.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:01 pm

If I see money on the ground I'll pick it up. Even a penny. If it's a penny face up I'll give it to someone for good luck. If it's face down I still pick it up because, hey, it's money.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:06 pm

I honk when driving through tunnels. Not underpasses, only legit tunnels.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:20 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 am
I'm sorry I confused with my writing. Instead of writing "I have no idea whether this thing is legal or not", I should have wrote "I don't care if this thing is legal or not."

When I was perhaps 13 or 14 years old, my family visited my grandparents in southern AZ for Christmas. During our visit we drove to the border and walked over to Nogales Mexico. While there I bought a cheap switchblade even though I knew it was illegal back home. When we came back across the border we had to wait in line and I noticed that some people were taken aside for questions and searches. I surreptitiously slipped my knife in to my mothers purse, but as luck would have it, my family was waved through without incident. So no, knife laws have never stopped me from owning whatever knife struck my fancy.
What a man.





Asterisk. Me either, with one proviso: I sure as hell won’t carry a switchblade. It’s legal to own them as part of a collection, illegal to carry about the person.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21069
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by JimVH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 pm

I point-out every cow I see to all of my passengers when driving. Tractors, too.

And I'm not above mooing.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20499
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:20 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 am
I'm sorry I confused with my writing. Instead of writing "I have no idea whether this thing is legal or not", I should have wrote "I don't care if this thing is legal or not."

When I was perhaps 13 or 14 years old, my family visited my grandparents in southern AZ for Christmas. During our visit we drove to the border and walked over to Nogales Mexico. While there I bought a cheap switchblade even though I knew it was illegal back home. When we came back across the border we had to wait in line and I noticed that some people were taken aside for questions and searches. I surreptitiously slipped my knife in to my mothers purse, but as luck would have it, my family was waved through without incident. So no, knife laws have never stopped me from owning whatever knife struck my fancy.
What a man.





Asterisk. Me either, with one proviso: I sure as hell won’t carry a switchblade. It’s legal to own them as part of a collection, illegal to carry about the person.
I did some pretty slimy things as a young man.

And FTR, I don't carry automatic knives. Switchblades are cool for showing off to your schoolmates, but really, an assisted opener is just as fast if you're ever backed in to a corner. Truth is, I rarely even carry a knife over 1.5" long unless I'm headed to the 'outdoors' where a man-sized chopper might be required.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3558
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: USA, USA!!!

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:39 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 pm
I point-out every cow I see to all of my passengers when driving. Tractors, too.

And I'm not above mooing.
When driving if I see hay bales or stacks in the fields I'm passing I'll say very loudly as I point to it, "HEY!!!!!"
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:35 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:15 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:20 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:30 am
I'm sorry I confused with my writing. Instead of writing "I have no idea whether this thing is legal or not", I should have wrote "I don't care if this thing is legal or not."

When I was perhaps 13 or 14 years old, my family visited my grandparents in southern AZ for Christmas. During our visit we drove to the border and walked over to Nogales Mexico. While there I bought a cheap switchblade even though I knew it was illegal back home. When we came back across the border we had to wait in line and I noticed that some people were taken aside for questions and searches. I surreptitiously slipped my knife in to my mothers purse, but as luck would have it, my family was waved through without incident. So no, knife laws have never stopped me from owning whatever knife struck my fancy.
What a man.





Asterisk. Me either, with one proviso: I sure as hell won’t carry a switchblade. It’s legal to own them as part of a collection, illegal to carry about the person.
I did some pretty slimy things as a young man.

And FTR, I don't carry automatic knives. Switchblades are cool for showing off to your schoolmates, but really, an assisted opener is just as fast if you're ever backed in to a corner. Truth is, I rarely even carry a knife over 1.5" long unless I'm headed to the 'outdoors' where a man-sized chopper might be required.
Oh, I wasn't saying anything bad about your younger self--That's a very typical kids reaction--they'll believe Mama.

No, I was grinning at the I buy whatever damned knife I want and screw you Mr. Lawman...than I realized I do the same thing.

That's all. Sorry.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17121
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 am
Some things are as sure as death and taxes:

I found a switchblade pocket knife while walking the dogs the other day. Knife laws are so varied from state to state I have no idea whether this thing is legal or not. The place I found it makes me think someone tossed it. Anyway, it's impossible for me to have a switchblade within reach without flicking it open. I washed the mud out of this one and left it lying on the kitchen counter. Every time I've walked by it for the last week I've given it a couple of flicks.
I hope you washed off the prints, too. :lol:

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17121
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:48 pm

I cant resist waking up the copier from its eco-friendly sleep mode every time I pass it. I just smack that big green button and keep on moving.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7039
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Wait...what is going on here...nevermind I have flys to tie
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21069
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by JimVH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:48 pm
I cant resist waking up the copier from its eco-friendly sleep mode every time I pass it. I just smack that big green button and keep on moving.
I get it. Our offices have motion sensitive light switches. I swing my arm into every dark office I walk by.

User avatar
Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am
Location: NW Washington
Contact:

Re: Death and Taxes

Post by Sir Moose » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 pm

I drive aggressively through mud puddles whenever possible to get a good splash (although I avoid splashing people).

Apparently it's rubbed off on some of my kids. My daughter told me that she did it a few weeks ago with a friend in the car. The friend thought she was weird. My daughter didn't even realize she'd done it until her friend said something.

My son, who is learning to drive, told me that he can't wait until he doesn't have to worry about his upcoming driving test anymore so he can start splashing puddles without worrying that he might do it while taking the test.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Post Reply