Greatest Hero of All Time! (Nominations)

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Greatest Hero of All Time! (Nominations)

Post by Goose55 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am

Andrew Jackson and the handful of men that fought beside him accomplished a miracle when they sent the British packing at the decisive Battle of New Orleans.

If anyone wants to read a great book that reads like a novel, borrow Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans from your library. Author: Kilmeade, Brian
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 am
I'm terribly....almost devastatingly....disappointed that Chuck Norris hasn't been mentioned. On CPS nonetheless! He doesn't even need an explanation. You guys have really let me down.
Norris is the only person hero-enough to have played the great Lone Wolf McQuaid.

So there's that.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 am
Andrew Jackson and the handful of men that fought beside him accomplished a miracle when they sent the British packing at the decisive Battle of New Orleans.

If anyone wants to read a great book that reads like a novel, borrow Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans from your library. Author: Kilmeade, Brian
While this event is remarkable, let us not forget his role in the Indian Remove Act of 1830.

Hosea - what a man he had to be to answer the call of God to marry an adulterer in order to be the living embodiment of the relationship between YHWH and Israel.

Jonathan, torn between his love for his best friend, David, and his father, Saul, he tread the line carefully, but in the end he died fighting alongside his father, even after having played a part in David's escape.

The Marys, any of them, who witnessed the resurrection of Jesus, something unheard of for the time period - women to bear testimony about something so grand? It's so ridiculous, culturally speaking, that the amount of courage they had to have, knowing they wouldn't be believed or taken seriously initially, is astounding, perplexing, and inspiring.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a faithful, devout Christian man, who was a part of the failed assassination plot of Adolf Hitler. He and his family saw Adolf for what he was long before Hitler took Western Europe by storm, actively speaking out against the Nazi regime, even though it cost him friends, jobs, and eventually his life. His prophetic voice in the wilderness of Nazi Germany is tantalizing to read about and examine, and it has greatly convicted me in my own faith reading about his own convictions.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 pm
SlowToke wrote:
I'm terribly....almost devastatingly....disappointed that Chuck Norris hasn't been mentioned. On CPS nonetheless! He doesn't even need an explanation. You guys have really let me down.
Norris is the only person hero-enough to have played the great Lone Wolf McQuaid.

So there's that.
And again I remind you that Bruce Lee beat him in the colleseium.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:59 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:38 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:15 pm
SlowToke wrote:

So there's that.
And again I remind you that Bruce Lee beat him in the colleseium.
You should really learn to let things go. The stress can eat you up.

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Shamgar killed 600 Philistines with an oxgoad.

Chuck Norris only had 102 on-screen kills, all movies combined.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:35 pm
Shamgar killed 600 Philistines with an oxgoad.

Chuck Norris only had 102 on-screen kills, all movies combined.
Shamgar doesn't do push-ups. He pushes the earth down.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 am

Nominations are closed. They closed on Friday. A tournament of Heroes shall be forthcoming.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 am
Nominations are closed. They closed on Friday. A tournament of Heroes shall be forthcoming.
Addendum:

Due to my inability to count in even numbers and as he was the next one nominated, Samwell Tarly has made the cut.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 am
tuttle wrote:
Addendum:

Due to my inability to count in even numbers and as he was the next one nominated, Samwell Tarly has made the cut.
Dagnabbit:

Due to my inability to create a good bracket, I'm going to allow two more entries. The committee has determined Andrew Jackson and Dietrich Bonhoeffer shall be entered.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 am
tuttle wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Addendum:

Dagnabbit:

Due to my inability to create a good bracket, I'm going to allow two more entries. The committee has determined Andrew Jackson and Dietrich Bonhoeffer shall be entered.
What about Spider-Pig?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggOZqQR0YVI
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 am

tuttle wrote:
tuttle wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Addendum:

Dagnabbit:

Bonhoeffer was not successful in killing Hitler where Captain America was. Lets hope they don't face off. Lets also not forget that Dr. Jones opted for Hitlers autograph instead of assassination at the book burning.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 am

Jester wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 am
tuttle wrote:
tuttle wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Addendum:

Dagnabbit:

Bonhoeffer was not successful in killing Hitler where Captain America was. Lets hope they don't face off. Lets also not forget that Dr. Jones opted for Hitlers autograph instead of assassination at the book burning.
Problem is, none of you numbnuts nominated Captain America.

But hey, who needs Captain America when you've got.... :yawn: Perry Mason.... :zzz:

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 pm
Goose55 wrote:

While this event is remarkable, let us not forget his role in the Indian Remove Act of 1830.
Conceded.
However, Professor Wingo at JSU regaled us with the story of the first assassination attempt of a US President. As a gaunt President Jackson walked the halls of the capitol after attending a funeral, the would be assassination's black powder pistol misfired at a range of about 10 paces. This energized the president who went from leaning on his cane to lunging at the assassin with cane raised. Another pistol was raised, trigger pulled, cap detonated but another misfire at now point blank range, as Jackson began beating him with the cane. Many accounts said the President had to be pulled off his would be killer.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 am
Joshoowah wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 pm
Goose55 wrote:

Conceded.
However, Professor Wingo at JSU regaled us with the story of the first assassination attempt of a US President. As a gaunt President Jackson walked the halls of the capitol after attending a funeral, the would be assassination's black powder pistol misfired at a range of about 10 paces. This energized the president who went from leaning on his cane to lunging at the assassin with cane raised. Another pistol was raised, trigger pulled, cap detonated but another misfire at now point blank range, as Jackson began beating him with the cane. Many accounts said the President had to be pulled off his would be killer.
Oh, I'm sure Jackson was a badass, no doubt, but there have been better, more heroic presidents.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage