Climate Change Deniers and Why It Doesn't Matter

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Climate Change Deniers and Why It Doesn't Matter

Post by Thunktank » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:25 pm

I’m not a fan of electric cars, YET. Their batteries are a problem with charging times, infrastructure, longevity and waste. There are a subset of people who love them. I know some. They enjoy the process of planning short communtes and the ever decreasing range their vehicles inevitably suffer. It’s gotten much better, but still a ways to go.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:15 pm
Jester wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm
https://www.forbes.com/sites/judeclemen ... c5165c2a37
But there's much more to the electric car story than what you might be hearing. The anti-fossil-fuel business tends to forget and/or ignore the fact that electric cars are, obviously, just that ... powered by electricity, a secondary energy source that is mostly generated by the combustion of coal and natural gas both here in the U.S. and around the world.
Still, electric cars can be greener than internal combustion-powered vehicles. But, like wind mills and hydroelectric generators, they're not the only answer and probably not the long-term answer. Contrary to what TNLP thinks, we're in a boom period for alternative energy exploration. We're like alligators that put everything in their mouth and spit it out if it ends up not being food.

Corn-based ethanol was a bad idea for the same reason cOrn cOb pipes are a bad idea. Corn is best used as food for us and the animals we want to eat.

Electric cars still use electricity produced by burning fossil fuels. Plus they're too expensive (even when production is scaled up) to gain widespread use.

Solar panels on the roof of your house are great, but they can't supply high density building like high rise apartments. And they sorta suck on rainy days.

We don't (much) use wood to generate power like our great grandparents did. They realized it was dirty, and besides, they couldn't grow enough trees to supply everyone, so they switched to coal, petroleum, and hydro. We can see the limits to those fules so we're revising our methods just like they did. I think our great grandchildren will use hydrogen to power their road vehicles and nukes to provide electricity for their houses. Those are the cleanest power sources we've yet discovered.
+1. Mini nukes FTW.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 am

+JMJ+
Cleon wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 am

… Mini nukes FTW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L951UPDh_CU