Welcome to Texas Thunktank!

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Re: Welcome to Texas Thunktank!

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:54 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:34 pm
BBQ does not need sauce. If it does just move along.
:lol:

Unless it goes in a bun.
It only goes on a bun if you are too young to cut your own meat or too old to chew.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:25 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:54 am
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:08 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:34 pm
BBQ does not need sauce. If it does just move along.
:lol:

Unless it goes in a bun.
It only goes on a bun if you are too young to cut your own meat or too old to chew.
Bahhh, the kiddos can’t handle the heat from the hot BBQ sauce that goes on it and the old men can’t taste it no more cuz they learnt to eat it young and it burnt off their taste buds.

I’m off to get oak chunks to bbq a tri tip Santa Maria style this afternoon. Better than bacon on a bun with hot BBQ sauce unless I’m in the mood for bacon on a bun with hot BBQ sauce or brisket smoked over oak. It’s all good.

One of these days we’re going to have to have a CPS BBQ cookoff at my house.
Last edited by Thunktank on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 am

If you find yourself in San Antonio, I hear that the natives are still talking about the time Del and I closed down the saloon at the Menger Hotel, across the alley from the Alamo. The bar tender will gladly point out the missing chunk of the bar ( if you ask nicely!)
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Is it true that moving to Texas, Thunktank raises the average IQ of both states?
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm
Is it true that moving to Texas, Thunktank raises the average IQ of both states?
No, only Texas. Texas desperately needs an attitude adjustment at the very least.

Texas is annoying me today.

Background In California today:

My kids 10 and 14 ride their bikes around. My 14 year old rides his all over three cities, alone or with friends. He spent the day at the beach with a friend of his who is a 15 year old girl. They rode their bikes seven miles, ate sushi for lunch, got a “balboa bar” on the island hung out at the beach (not the shopping center) then rode back to my house. This is normal and these kids are thin, happy and fit. My ten year old can’t wait until he’s old enough to be allowed to leave the neighborhood. Bicycles are part of the land scape here and drivers don’t harass or bother them, in fact they are used to watching out for them and sharing the rode. In 20 years I never got yelled at or honked at while riding a bike.

In conversation with a native Texan friend today:

Mrs. Thunk: How far is (the high school name) from your house?

Texas friend: Seven miles, why?

Mrs. Thunk: To see how far it is for ThunkJr to ride his bike there.

Texas Friend (paraphrased): Are you nuts? Cyclists are points here. Kids aren’t allowed to ride their bikes where you want him to go. If you want to ride a bike you go to the bike park. We run bikes over here that are on the street. It’s fun!

Thunktank (who overheard this conversation and getting flashbacks from serving with lots of Texan and southern men): #@%&#*$ backward Texans! They are the biggest friggin polluters in the country, the second worst water polluters in the world and they think hitting cyclists is a sport.

I’m probably nuts to even think about moving there, let alone leaving next week! Texans no doubt think I’m nuts simply because I’m from California. These two are head butting rivals in every way. I would be better off moving to Canada!

When ThunkJr heard about this he was petrified. Bikes are his transportation and freedom. He said, “I’m going to change Texas.” A that, I patted him on the back and said, “That’s my boy, you go give em hell. Just make sure you wear your helmet.”

:chili:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 am

Last night before bed while reading news on my IPad:

Thunktank: “Hey look! They have warning signs about alligators posted at the lake we’re going to live next to!”

MrsThunk: “You’re kidding.”

Thunktank: “Nope, See?”

MrsThunk (she looks with her eyes bulging from her eye sockets): “I’m never going anywhere near the water then.”

Thunktank: “But you swim in the ocean here with great whites and sting rays.”

MrsThunk: “I’m used to sharks and sting rays. I don’t like alligators.”

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 am

You just gotta jump in head first Thunk, and try to keep your lips buttoned for at least 6 months. People in different places operate differently for a reason and it's wise not to be too critical until you understand why the place works like it does. It's fun enough to joke about stereotypical differences but once you see what's going on behind the curtain those differences might make sense.

That said, alligators freak me the foodtruck out and that was my biggest surprise when we moved to SC 30 years ago. I didn't see a lot, but enough to know they were out there.

[EDIT] Also, I'm moving in the opposite direction as you regarding the bike deal. We just signed a contract on a house in Ft Collins and there are hundreds of miles of bike trails and bike lanes in town. One of the signs advertising our new neighborhood says "Ride your bike to the breweries!" as there are four breweries within a mile.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:53 am

"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:59 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 am
You just gotta jump in head first Thunk, and try to keep your lips buttoned for at least 6 months. People in different places operate differently for a reason and it's wise not to be too critical until you understand why the place works like it does. It's fun enough to joke about stereotypical differences but once you see what's going on behind the curtain those differences might make sense.

That said, alligators freak me the foodtruck out and that was my biggest surprise when we moved to SC 30 years ago. I didn't see a lot, but enough to know they were out there.

[EDIT] Also, I'm moving in the opposite direction as you regarding the bike deal. We just signed a contract on a house in Ft Collins and there are hundreds of miles of bike trails and bike lanes in town. One of the signs advertising our new neighborhood says "Ride your bike to the breweries!" as there are four breweries within a mile.
I'll keep my lips buttoned when you do. How's that? :lol:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:07 am

I don't think ThunkJr is aware how HOT it's going to be for a while when he gets there. He won't want to ride his bike there half the year. Instead he going to be asking me for Uber money all the time. I'm going to miss his bike. I can’t possibly take him everywhere he wants to go. He’s a non stop motion of energy. He needs to find a job.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:34 am

“Fred” wrote: Also, I'm moving in the opposite direction as you regarding the bike deal. We just signed a contract on a house in Ft Collins and there are hundreds of miles of bike trails and bike lanes in town. One of the signs advertising our new neighborhood says "Ride your bike to the breweries!" as there are four breweries within a mile.
I’m jealous. I lobbied hard for Colorado, btw. Sounds like fun. My parents got e bikes in PA recently and ride them about 8 miles every day. They are happy and feeling healthier than they have in a long time. The electric motors help them on the hills. Considering that my mother has had knee replacements and my dad had hip replacement, I’m elated to see how bikes are changing their lives around. But really, the summer weather in Texas is probably just too much, just wish they weren’t completely unfamiliar with bikes on the road. That’s the biggest issue right there. They just don’t think to watch. But if I had my way, bike safety would be taught in schools at a young age.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 am

Come to the Moonbase, Thunk. Everyone here rides a bike. There are even painted green boxes at intersections for bicycles only and painted green bike lanes on most city streets. It seems they get preferential treatment, even if most ride like a-holes.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 am
Come to the Moonbase, Thunk. Everyone here rides a bike. There are even painted green boxes at intersections for bicycles only and painted green bike lanes on most city streets. It seems they get preferential treatment, even if most ride like a-holes.
Our Dairy Queen has a place in their lot marked out for bicycle parking.

I'm in the market for a used cruiser with normal - not fat - tires and I've just started to look in to e-bikes. I've also started seeing a ton of those little 50cc scooters/bikes around here lately. No modercycle license and no plates required.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:45 am
I agree, there are way to many a-holes on bikes. I’ve actually considered becoming a certified bike safety instructor and lobby local schools to provide classes. There’s definately a right way and wrong way to drive a bike. Key idea is “share” the road. That’s the tough part some on both sides of the car door don’t seem to understand.

Also, I hate the green color they choose for bike signs and lanes. In fact, I don’t always like bike lanes.

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 pm
CodeMonkey wrote:
No, only Texas. Texas desperately needs an attitude adjustment at the very least.

My kids 10 and 14 ride their bikes around. My 14 year old rides his all over three cities, alone or with friends. He spent the day at the beach with a friend of his who is a 15 year old girl. They rode their bikes seven miles, ate sushi for lunch, got a “balboa bar” on the island hung out at the beach (not the shopping center) then rode back to my house. This is normal and these kids are thin, happy and fit. My ten year old can’t wait until he’s old enough to be allowed to leave the neighborhood. Bicycles are part of the land scape here and drivers don’t harass or bother them, in fact they are used to watching out for them and sharing the rode. In 20 years I never got yelled at or honked at while riding a bike.

Texas Friend (paraphrased): Are you nuts? Cyclists are points here. Kids aren’t allowed to ride their bikes where you want him to go. If you want to ride a bike you go to the bike park. We run bikes over here that are on the street. It’s fun!

Thunktank (who overheard this conversation and getting flashbacks from serving with lots of Texan and southern men): #@%&#*$ backward Texans! They are the biggest friggin polluters in the country, the second worst water polluters in the world and they think hitting cyclists is a sport.

I’m probably nuts to even think about moving there, let alone leaving next week! Texans no doubt think I’m nuts simply because I’m from California. These two are head butting rivals in every way. I would be better off moving to Canada!

When ThunkJr heard about this he was petrified. Bikes are his transportation and freedom. He said, “I’m going to change Texas.” A that, I patted him on the back and said, “That’s my boy, you go give em hell. Just make sure you wear your helmet.”

Give it time. If you will give it a chance you will find that some of the finest people living are in Texas. Don't quote me on that. I'm originally from Oklahoma and we're supposed to hate Texas, just like they are supposed to hate Oklahoma. I suppose some people actually feel that way, but as it has been said "You can't fix stupid."
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:35 pm

I commute to work by bike 4-5 days a week down here in Bryan. Have skateboarded to work but will wait until the temps drop to do that again.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 pm

Texans no doubt think I’m nuts simply because I’m from California.
I believe you're getting it.

Similar to this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mX2AyjVrrck

I wouldn't worry about the bike. I've been in Texas many times--have to burn my boots every time I head back north to Oklahoma, but I've been there--and it seems, from my observations, no worse for bicycles than Oklahoma. If that's a comfort.
If the American people ever really understand the Left, they'll boil them in oil.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:32 am
If you find yourself in San Antonio, I hear that the natives are still talking about the time Del and I closed down the saloon at the Menger Hotel, across the alley from the Alamo. The bar tender will gladly point out the missing chunk of the bar ( if you ask nicely!)
We told them that we would like to take home a souvenir...
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:25 pm
CodeMonkey wrote:

Give it time. If you will give it a chance you will find that some of the finest people living are in Texas. Don't quote me on that. I'm originally from Oklahoma and we're supposed to hate Texas, just like they are supposed to hate Oklahoma. I suppose some people actually feel that way, but as it has been said "You can't fix stupid."
I’m sure you’re right. I was writing with my obnoxious stereotyping sarcasm.

Some days I’m excited about it, others I wonder if perhaps I lost it. Probably pretty normal for anyone in my shoes. I’m lucky enough to be able to keep my house here in California. . .

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:30 am

Death of former councilman puts new focus on bicycle safety

A former City Councilman of Lubbock died last week when someone struck him while he was riding his bicycle.

Just sayin'
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain