Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.

Choose the Greatest Thinker (ONE from each letter)

Poll ended at Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:32 am

A) Howard Hughes
9
10%
A) Winnie the Pooh
14
16%
B) DL Jake
16
18%
B) Goose
6
7%
C) coco
19
21%
C) mustangii
2
2%
D) CS Lewis
15
17%
D) GK Chesterton
8
9%
 
Total votes: 89

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 14084
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, thinkers and thunkers, THIS is the World's Greatest Thinker Showdown!

(I tried my darndest to seed these Great Thinkers in similar divisions. The "A" division was sort of the grab bag. The others are more cohesive despite the occasional overlap. Regardless...I think the first round, at least, will be brutal.)

READ THIS BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!

Thinkers are going head to head (hyuk, hyuk) in the bracket. (ie. Plato vs Aristotle) so choose one hero from each letter. (Choose ONE Thinker from the A) category, ONE Thinker from the B) and so on). If you mess up and pick two from the same category, you should be able to change your vote to correct it. Clear as mud? Ask if you have any questions.

Please use this forum to vote and to lobby for your favorite Thinkers above. Winners move on to Round 2

Your Thinkers battling it out for Round 1 (A) are:

A) Howard Hughes vs Winnie the Pooh

Image vs Image



B) DL Jake vs Goose

Image vs Image




C) coco vs mustangii

Image vs Image




D) CS Lewis vs GK Chesterton

Image vs Image
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23690
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am

Hughes was wildly intelligent and creative, however, I'm unaware of Winnie ever storing his pee in jars. This is a tough one.

User avatar
Jester
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by Jester » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:47 am

Voted!
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 14084
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by tuttle » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:56 am

Don't forget to vote!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13600
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am
Hughes was wildly intelligent and creative, however, I'm unaware of Winnie ever storing his pee in jars. This is a tough one.
As Hughes left no will I've often wondered who got the collection.
Facts should never get in the way of a good story.

User avatar
Del
Hot Legs
Hot Legs
Posts: 39113
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by Del » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm

CS Lewis achieved great height of brilliance, hanging from the shoulders of GK Chesterton.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25631
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Voted.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Posts: 6424
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: AL

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 am

Hmmmmm
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7054
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am
Hughes was wildly intelligent and creative, however, I'm unaware of Winnie ever storing his pee in jars. This is a tough one.
This was a hard one for me to decide.
Ultimately, I decided against pee and went with Pooh.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7054
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm
CS Lewis achieved great height of brilliance, hanging from the shoulders of GK Chesterton.
I have an Inkling you may be right.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19281
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm
CS Lewis achieved great height of brilliance, hanging from the shoulders of GK Chesterton.
I have an Inkling you may be right.
Well, this Baby is giving you the Bird for the recent quality of your jokes!
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23690
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am
Hughes was wildly intelligent and creative, however, I'm unaware of Winnie ever storing his pee in jars. This is a tough one.
This was a hard one for me to decide.
Ultimately, I decided against pee and went with Pooh.
<audible laughter> You should have been a nominee.

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7054
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm
CS Lewis achieved great height of brilliance, hanging from the shoulders of GK Chesterton.
I have an Inkling you may be right.
Well, this Baby is giving you the Bird for the recent quality of your jokes!

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am
Hughes was wildly intelligent and creative, however, I'm unaware of Winnie ever storing his pee in jars. This is a tough one.
This was a hard one for me to decide.
Ultimately, I decided against pee and went with Pooh.
<audible laughter> You should have been a nominee.

Ask anyone. The (poor) quality of my jokes is legendary. But at least I'm consistent.
You can get away with this stuff when your hair turns white and you smoke a pipe.

At least I think you can.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19281
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Del wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm
CS Lewis achieved great height of brilliance, hanging from the shoulders of GK Chesterton.
I have an Inkling you may be right.
Well, this Baby is giving you the Bird for the recent quality of your jokes!

JimVH wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am
Hughes was wildly intelligent and creative, however, I'm unaware of Winnie ever storing his pee in jars. This is a tough one.
This was a hard one for me to decide.
Ultimately, I decided against pee and went with Pooh.
<audible laughter> You should have been a nominee.

Ask anyone. The (poor) quality of my jokes is legendary. But at least I'm consistent.
You can get away with this stuff when your hair turns white and you smoke a pipe.

At least I think you can.
I love the jokes. Good clean fun.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop
Posts: 14084
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by tuttle » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:10 am

As of right now voting for bracket A is over! (I've already gathered info, anything that changes after this point is invalid)
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13600
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am

I'm more that a little ticked off over the trashing of Howard Hughes here.
Like you guys don't have a pee collection.
All jokes aside, I hate it that he is most remembered for some of his strange habits.
Last edited by Roadmaster on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Left a word out.
Facts should never get in the way of a good story.

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19281
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am
I'm more that a little ticked off over the trashing of Howard Hughes here.
Like you guys don't have a pee collection.
All jokes aside, I hate it that he is most remembered for some of his strange habits.
Who says I don’t have a pee collection? It’s just weird to collect your own.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13600
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am
I'm more that a little ticked off over the trashing of Howard Hughes here.
Like you guys don't have a pee collection.
All jokes aside, I hate it that he is most remembered for some of his strange habits.
Who says I don’t have a pee collection? It’s just weird to collect your own.
Maybe we could set up an exchange.
Facts should never get in the way of a good story.

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 16602
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by gaining_age » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am
I'm more that a little ticked off over the trashing of Howard Hughes here.
Like you guys don't have a pee collection.
All jokes aside, I hate it that he is most remembered for some of his strange habits.
Who says I don’t have a pee collection? It’s just weird to collect your own.
Maybe we could set up an exchange.
Remember what happened when we tried the pie exchange-- I'm afraid bad things would happen if this were tossed into the wind.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13600
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: Greatest Thinker Showdown! Round 1A

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:52 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 am
I'm more that a little ticked off over the trashing of Howard Hughes here.
Like you guys don't have a pee collection.
All jokes aside, I hate it that he is most remembered for some of his strange habits.
Who says I don’t have a pee collection? It’s just weird to collect your own.
Maybe we could set up an exchange.
Remember what happened when we tried the pie exchange-- I'm afraid bad things would happen if this were tossed into the wind.
The Yale Book of Quotations quotes Lyndon Johnson, saying about J. Edgar Hoover: “Better to have him inside the tent pxxxxxx out, than outside pxxxxxx in” (quoted in New York Times, Oct. 31, 1971). Johnson may well have been employing an already-existing expression.
Last edited by Roadmaster on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add quotation marks
Facts should never get in the way of a good story.

Post Reply