TTCMA: Things That Chap My Ass

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: TTCMA: Things That Chap My Ass

Post by JimVH » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:31 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:27 pm

I just wanna listen to my records man.
You hit me right in the feels, bruh.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 pm

Off Topic
kind of interesting there are those here that are oh so way more whackado than i
DL Jake

You should see if they can recalibrate your internal clock forward a month. - Cleon

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Off Topic
kind of interesting there are those here that are oh so way more whackado than i
Anything to encourage a brother! :pipe3:
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:07 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:56 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:53 pm
Off Topic
Anything to encourage a brother! :pipe3:
:wavey:
DL Jake

You should see if they can recalibrate your internal clock forward a month. - Cleon

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Off Topic
I guess you should share your “pills?”
Gitty Up!

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:41 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
TTCMA - stuff that should be simple and aren't.

We've blown through two cheapo turn tables. They were plug and play and required no adjustment. The Sony had too many plastic parts inside and one of the gears busted. The other is one of those all in one units and the belt wore out. No way to replace.

Solution? Get a nice direct drive JVC. This thing is more temperamental than a cheerleader girlfriend (not that I ever had one but have heard stories). I can't keep the tone arm from sliding everywhere and the least little bit of dust causes skipping. The cheapo turn tables would play a record coated in concrete!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Is there an adjustable counterbalance on the tone arm? If not, you can always put a penny on the headshell. Just remember that too much downforce on the needle wears out your records.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:43 pm

MDPiper wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Off Topic
I guess you should share your “pills?”
:rotfl:
DL Jake

Sir Moose
CPS Curry Chef
CPS Curry Chef

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:35 am

Came back from a week away from work, expecting to play catch-up. But to make things fun, my computer got re-imaged while I was gone to fix an issue it was having, so everything had to be set up again. Oh...and they decided to reorganize the network drive so nothing was where I expected it to be. And there were tasks that had a deadline the same day I got back. And apparently, because some people retired/quit/moved on, I've been put in charge of some things that they handled, but nobody bothered to tell me, so I'm behind on tasks that I didn't even know that I had.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:19 am

coco wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:41 pm
AnungUnRama wrote:

We've blown through two cheapo turn tables. They were plug and play and required no adjustment. The Sony had too many plastic parts inside and one of the gears busted. The other is one of those all in one units and the belt wore out. No way to replace.

Solution? Get a nice direct drive JVC. This thing is more temperamental than a cheerleader girlfriend (not that I ever had one but have heard stories). I can't keep the tone arm from sliding everywhere and the least little bit of dust causes skipping. The cheapo turn tables would play a record coated in concrete!

Is there an adjustable counterbalance on the tone arm? If not, you can always put a penny on the headshell. Just remember that too much downforce on the needle wears out your records.
Yeah there are a ton of adjustments. I need to scare up a metric ruler so I can make sure the head unit is set up correctly. When I got it the one that came with it was damaged so I had to get a new one. I found the manual so I'll go through it. I cannot rule out eventually just selling it because I do not have the patience.
Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:37 am

Behaviorial assessments. Always at minimum wage jobs never at living wage jobs.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:13 am

AnungUnRama wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:19 am
coco wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:41 pm
AnungUnRama wrote:

Yeah there are a ton of adjustments. I need to scare up a metric ruler so I can make sure the head unit is set up correctly. When I got it the one that came with it was damaged so I had to get a new one. I found the manual so I'll go through it. I cannot rule out eventually just selling it because I do not have the patience.
In the meantime, penny on the headshell.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:37 am
Amen to that. Years ago I was trying to pick up some part-time seasonal work to make a few extra bucks during the holidays. I remember applying at grocery stores, Target, Starbucks - even Hollywood Video. In each place it was useless to speak to a mangaer - every place had me fill out some kind of online application that included their own version of a personality test.

These things always have trick questions. Stuff like "I have had conflict with co-workers in the past" [answer T/F]

So I'm thinking if I answer "True" then it looks like I'm problematic, but if I answer "False" then I'm a liar, because unless you work alone, or you have no employment history, chances are that at some point in your employment history there's been at least one person who you've had some kind of conflict with over something. I've got people who work under me who I've had to write up on occasion - does that qualify as conflict?

I wish I could remember some of the other things that I thought were trick questions. There are always a few of them. Anyway, I've never even gotten so much as a phone call let alone an interview from any prospective employer who required me to take any kind of personality test as part of the application process. The thing that really bites is when I see some of the lazy dolts with zero personality who got employed at some of these places (looking at you, Hollywood Video) and consider that THAT guy got hired, but they don't even want to interview me.

I've been with my current employer for +15 years, but apparently they started using these online tests a couple years ago too :-/

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:46 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 am
Fainn wrote:
Amen to that. Years ago I was trying to pick up some part-time seasonal work to make a few extra bucks during the holidays. I remember applying at grocery stores, Target, Starbucks - even Hollywood Video. In each place it was useless to speak to a mangaer - every place had me fill out some kind of online application that included their own version of a personality test.

These things always have trick questions. Stuff like "I have had conflict with co-workers in the past" [answer T/F]

So I'm thinking if I answer "True" then it looks like I'm problematic, but if I answer "False" then I'm a liar, because unless you work alone, or you have no employment history, chances are that at some point in your employment history there's been at least one person who you've had some kind of conflict with over something. I've got people who work under me who I've had to write up on occasion - does that qualify as conflict?

I wish I could remember some of the other things that I thought were trick questions. There are always a few of them. Anyway, I've never even gotten so much as a phone call let alone an interview from any prospective employer who required me to take any kind of personality test as part of the application process. The thing that really bites is when I see some of the lazy dolts with zero personality who got employed at some of these places (looking at you, Hollywood Video) and consider that THAT guy got hired, but they don't even want to interview me.
I've never gotten a phone call either.

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:46 pm
Adam Z wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:25 am
Fainn wrote:

I've never gotten a phone call either.
In my experience, landing a non minimum wage job is more about WHO you know, not WHAT you know. Once you get the job you keep it by earning it. I don't know if that CMA or not. That's just the way it is.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 pm

I applied for a music sales job that included a behaviorial assessment. It had a comment section at the end so I wrote:
Ah, the behaviorial assessment bullsh^t. Aren't you supposed to have a license to practice psychology?

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am

Fainn wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 pm
I applied for a music sales job that included a behaviorial assessment. It had a comment section at the end so I wrote:
Ah, the behaviorial assessment bullsh^t. Aren't you supposed to have a license to practice psychology?
Unless they have a sense of humor, you likely just torpedoed any sliver of a chance you might have had at getting that job. OTOH, it's a music store, so maybe they'll like your chutzpah.

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am
Fainn wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 pm
Unless they have a sense of humor, you likely just torpedoed any sliver of a chance you might have had at getting that job. True OTOH, it's a music store, so maybe they'll like your chutzpah. maybe but Doubtful.
The comment section at the end is the small window they give you, and is probably what the HR person or whoever looks at first, or may be the only thing they look at. If you've done your homework on the store or company or wherever you're applying, then it'll help you write exactly what you think they want to hear.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Deep, deep sigh. C'mon, Fainn. You have a family.

Unless it was at Guitar Center, in which case screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew them.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:00 pm

It is times like these that I tell my boys "just because it is true doesn't make it ok to say."

I personally get deeply offended that a hiring manager puts more faith in an AI engine than my ability to explain myself. This the dummification of America in full force.

That doesn't mean I put it all out there for a first impression.

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Today, it is work. All of it. Every dang piece of it. And Yes. I DO have a 4:30pm meeting just to round out the suck.
DL Jake