TTCMA: Things That Chap My Ass

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Re: TTCMA: Things That Chap My Ass

Post by Adam Z » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:59 pm
Chili season is coming up. I dread it because chili looks like puke. I have politely declined for years, but decided to be blunt this year because saying, "Well, you've just never had good chili" ain't gonna make it look less like puke.
You might be the only person I've ever met who cannot abide a good chili. So sad. :cry:
[Insert pithy quote here]

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:04 pm

Fainn wrote:Chili season is coming up. I dread it because chili looks like puke. I have politely declined for years, but decided to be blunt this year because saying, "Well, you've just never had good chili" ain't gonna make it look less like puke.
We named our booth Outhouse Chili one year at our work sponsored cookoff. We built a fake outhouse and served the chili out of it. We did not win

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:08 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:04 pm
Fainn wrote:Chili season is coming up. I dread it because chili looks like puke. I have politely declined for years, but decided to be blunt this year because saying, "Well, you've just never had good chili" ain't gonna make it look less like puke.
We named our booth Outhouse Chili one year at our work sponsored cookoff. We built a fake outhouse and served the chili out of it. We did not win
I had a team named 3G Chili: Greenhouse Gas Guaranteed
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:00 pm

Today's weekly Internal work call. Two different Department Managers with the full PM team. Eight Week Resource allocation discussions.

I got handed a flaming turd yesterday that i am ramming down the pipe because I can.

Today little miss snit starts questioning my projects needs. She is known as an often snitter. Starts doing her usual passive aggressive BS that I was not willing to deal with.

her: when does thing become officially confirmed? because blah blah.

me: thing officially is confirmed when the Project Manager says so.

her (stupidly): i think we should all be doing the same thing.

me': this call isn't for discussions of process improvement is it? (not waiting for a reply) Good. Let's move on.
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:04 am

The little country church that my Dad started out at has now been turned into a wedding/ music venue. They ripped out the baptistry and put in mood lighting.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:52 pm

The idea of God's will. Anytime someone has said they were going to pray God's will in my life, opportunities have been yanked from me. I also disagree that its God's will for people to suffer. Can you imagine telling a child sex trafficking victim that all the horrible things that happened to them were God's will. I think God is better than that.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Fainn wrote:The idea of God's will. Anytime someone has said they were going to pray God's will in my life, opportunities have been yanked from me. I also disagree that its God's will for people to suffer. Can you imagine telling a child sex trafficking victim that all the horrible things that happened to them were God's will. I think God is better than that.
So God, who is holy, and wiser than you or I has a will for you, but people shouldn’t pray that for you?

His thoughts and ways are higher than ours. If opportunities were “yanked” following people praying God’s will for you - then that was God’s will too, and he knows in the long run what is best for you.

It was God’s will for Job to suffer. Joseph sufferered when he was sold into slavery, and later when he was in prison. It was God’s will that entire Hebrew people suffered under Egyptian oppression, and later for 40 years in the desert, and later again under occupation and exile at the hands of the Babylonians. It was God’s will that many of the prophets suffered. It was God’s will that Jesus suffered for us. It was God’s will that the apostles all suffered.

God often uses suffering to grow us. Why should any of us think that God’s will for us should not include some kind of suffering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:03 pm
Fainn wrote:The idea of God's will. Anytime someone has said they were going to pray God's will in my life, opportunities have been yanked from me. I also disagree that its God's will for people to suffer. Can you imagine telling a child sex trafficking victim that all the horrible things that happened to them were God's will. I think God is better than that.
So God, who is holy, and wiser than you or I has a will for you, but people shouldn’t pray that for you?

His thoughts and ways are higher than ours. If opportunities were “yanked” following people praying God’s will for you - then that was God’s will too, and he knows in the long run what is best for you.

It was God’s will for Job to suffer. Joseph sufferered when he was sold into slavery, and later when he was in prison. It was God’s will that entire Hebrew people suffered under Egyptian oppression, and later for 40 years in the desert, and later again under occupation and exile at the hands of the Babylonians. It was God’s will that many of the prophets suffered. It was God’s will that Jesus suffered for us. It was God’s will that the apostles all suffered.

God often uses suffering to grow us. Why should any of us think that God’s will for us should not include some kind of suffering?

You know, dogma isnt much use to a drowning man.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:25 pm
Adam Z wrote:

Sometimes, I think we can be too quick with our answers in church: “Are you feeling sad? Life got you down? Well, that can’t be from God! Just pop on some K-love, ‘cause everything in the Christian life should be positive and encouraging all the time.”

But when you are experiencing depression, you don’t need a quick encouragement. You need a God who walks through pain with you.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,
casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:6-7

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. - Hebrews 4:15-16

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. - Romans 8:26-28

The greatest Christians in history were not those that God delivered from all pain and misery but those he delivered through their pain and misery. He is ready to walk with you through the darkness and do the same for you.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:57 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Adam Z wrote:

Sometimes, I think we can be too quick with our answers in church: “Are you feeling sad? Life got you down? Well, that can’t be from God! Just pop on some K-love, ‘cause everything in the Christian life should be positive and encouraging all the time.”

But when you are experiencing depression, you don’t need a quick encouragement. You need a God who walks through pain with you.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. - Hebrews 4:15-16

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. - Romans 8:26-28

The greatest Christians in history were not those that God delivered from all pain and misery but those he delivered through their pain and misery. He is ready to walk with you through the darkness and do the same for you.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. Words without engagement are simply words, regardless of their overwhelming truth.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:36 pm

"Hard to get" by Rich Mullins from the Jesus Record demos. Listen to it Fainn. It won't give you answers but my lands does it serve a purpose!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Adam Z wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Adam Z wrote:

I could never be reformed. Most of the points have merit, but I can't get on board with predestination. I also can't agree that you're not supposed to get angry at God when things go bad even though its supposedly part of his plan.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 am

Adam Z wrote:
It has been my experience that it comes from jealously. Not many people are willing to pray anything other than God's will if it means the person requesting prayer will have better opportunities than they do.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:16 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:00 pm
...I got handed a flaming turd yesterday that i am ramming down the pipe because I can.
Did you use your cob for this?
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:04 am

Fainn wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 am
Adam Z wrote:
It has been my experience that it comes from jealously. Not many people are willing to pray anything other than God's will if it means the person requesting prayer will have better opportunities than they do.
:confused:

Ok... I guess it's possible that there could be a situation in which that was true. Generally speaking, as one who has been prayed for and one who has prayed for others time and again - I don't think this is the case.

It comes to mind that when Jesus was asked by his disciples to teach them how to pray, he included in his prayer (that we now call the Lord's Prayer) the phrase "thy will be done". So if Jesus is teaching his followers to pray God's will, then I think we're on-point to do it as well :wink:

gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing

Post by gaining_age » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:16 am

Fainn wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:42 pm
Adam Z wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Adam Z wrote:

I could never be reformed. Most of the points have merit, but I can't get on board with predestination. I also can't agree that you're not supposed to get angry at God when things go bad even though its supposedly part of his plan.

Interesting side bar.

I like God's Providence. I like a few other items. I also think the logic of man can get limited by lack of information. I've tended to say I'm 3.5 point Calvinist-- which of the 1.5 points get the gap can vary depending upon the discussion.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:58 pm

TTCMA....

When I searched and searched for an item over the weekend and choose one partly based on availability for prompt delivery (next day!) and then the "tracking" information during that next day (Today!) shifts to showing "delivery by tomorrow 9PM"
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:04 pm

Traffic jams in every direction I had to travel today. Why? Nobody is in their offices. Couple that with covid making everybody a selfish bastige it was like a high speed demolition derby.

I'm not an aggressive driver. It's a pet peeve.
—Marcus Aurelius

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:12 pm

TTCMA... Grown men who can’t do 5th grade level math (or maybe it’s 4th grade?) to calculate sales tax on a given item. I’ve got 12 route drivers whose manifests I’m responsible for reconciling, and it’s amazing how many of them will call me while they’re making deliveries to get me to recalculate a total. Like, there’s 3 items on an invoice, and the customer refuses 1 item at the time of delivery, and the tax rate is 6.75%, then all you need to do to figure out the new total is take the price of the item being returned, multiply that by 1.0675, and subtract the result from the invoice total. I’m not a math wiz, and this isn’t algebra. I’ve got a guy who I even wrote out instructions for him on this, and he will still call me every time. They all have calculators on their smartphones too. :evil:

AnungUnRama
Vinyl Deejay
Vinyl Deejay

Post by AnungUnRama » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:27 pm

TTCMA - stuff that should be simple and aren't.

We've blown through two cheapo turn tables. They were plug and play and required no adjustment. The Sony had too many plastic parts inside and one of the gears busted. The other is one of those all in one units and the belt wore out. No way to replace.

Solution? Get a nice direct drive JVC. This thing is more temperamental than a cheerleader girlfriend (not that I ever had one but have heard stories). I can't keep the tone arm from sliding everywhere and the least little bit of dust causes skipping. The cheapo turn tables would play a record coated in concrete!

I just wanna listen to my records man.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Remember, if women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy.
- Red Green