The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Re: Avatar

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:33 pm
I long to be the man who occupies my avatar. Only man who sits above on a higher plane is my father and I don't post his picture out of respect.
Is that Chesty Puller?
The one and only. A couple months ago I met a Marine that served under him in Korea.

As we used to say every night in boot camp before closing our eyes, "Goodnight Chesty, wherever you are."
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:27 am
Stanley76 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
I long to be the man who occupies my avatar. Only man who sits above on a higher plane is my father and I don't post his picture out of respect.
Is that Chesty Puller?
The one and only. A couple months ago I met a Marine that served under him in Korea.

As we used to say every night in boot camp before closing our eyes, "Goodnight Chesty, wherever you are."
That's cool. My Dad served on an APD in the Solomons and Philippines during WW II. They transported Raiders.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

GaryInVA
Minister of Brisket
Minister of Brisket

Post by GaryInVA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
Is that Chesty Puller?

That's cool. My Dad served on an APD in the Solomons and Philippines during WW II. They transported Raiders.
A lot of respect for your father and his service.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Y'all crazy

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:32 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:34 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
Is that Chesty Puller?

A lot of respect for your father and his service.
I asked my Dad once if the sailors on his ship ever fought with the Marines. "HECK NO", he said. I asked him why not? "Because they would KILL you", he said. Then he told me that on his ship (Crosby APD-17) and the other destroyer transports, they got along great with those Marines. I read later that the APD sailors thought of the Raiders as "their Marines" and did all they could for them. At times a sailor would go with them on recon missions. My Dad never told me about those but my Mom told me that his Dad had told her about one in which most of the recon team had been killed except my Dad. He never mentioned it though to me or her.

A story he told me was when he was sent out in a boat with some Raiders to pick up a downed Japanese "flier" as he called him. The man was alive in the water and was supposed to be interrogated but the Raiders killed him instead of capturing him. With a knife. My Dad told them they were going to be in trouble but they just laughed. They did not get into to trouble either. They did get into trouble one time when they threatened to cut the head off an Army officer who started chewing out my Dad when he bumped the dock with a ships boat on some island out there.

All in all, my Dad was full of awe and respect for the the Raiders. So am I. For all Marines for that matter. Semper Fi.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 pm

coco wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:59 am
I wish I were as godly as Herman Bavinck.
Ditto.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:46 pm

My favorite Chesty Puller quotes is when he was totally surrounded by the enemy he said we got them where we want them we can shoot in any direction and hit one of the bastards.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing
You married guys crack me up Oh wait...never mind
Jocose