Pipe Tobacco TV Commercials Of The Past

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Goose55
Minister to Monster Truckers

Pipe Tobacco TV Commercials Of The Past

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:28 am

George Burns on Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe Tobacco

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Re: Pipe Tobacco TV Commercials Of The Past

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:28 am
George Burns on Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe Tobacco

Nice. Better than the cigars he used to smoke!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:03 pm

I only remembered him smoking cigars...as SWR fan that is double cool!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:32 pm

SWR is my daytime standard tobacco. I keep a few tubs in stock all the time. Easy stuff to smoke. SWR Aromatic is an abomination though in my opinion. Nasty. Smoking a cigar right at the moment though.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:50 pm

I was just thinking that we need a thread on "Best Smoke in the Shower."

I never thought about a good cigar.... I'll give it a try!
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:59 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:32 pm
SWR is my daytime standard tobacco. I keep a few tubs in stock all the time. Easy stuff to smoke. SWR Aromatic is an abomination though in my opinion. Nasty. Smoking a cigar right at the moment though.
That's funny.

I need to retry SWR. Years ago I found it an abomination but enjoyed the aromatic.

Might be an interesting experiment.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:59 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
That's funny.

I need to retry SWR. Years ago I found it an abomination but enjoyed the aromatic.

Different DNA. I like the way it smells in the tub, the cube cut, the way it's almost impossible to screw up packing the pipe. After a couple of lights it stays lit and I mostly just hold the pipe in my mouth and breathe the smoke from the bowl a little into my nose. Just a puff or two every once in a while. I like it during the day when I'm doing something because I can almost forget about it. In the evenings I like the good stuff like Pegasus or Haunted Bookshop and sometimes something with heavy latakia but lately, I've been on a aromatic binge smoking Lane Hazelnut, Black and Burley and RLP. Maybe that's why the SWR Aro tastes like junk to me. I think as I'm aging I don't like super heavy nicotine hits as much, still like them but just every once in a while. Also I think SWR is slightly higher (to me) in nicotine than Granger or Lane Ready Rubbed but that may be my imagination.

Finally, my Dad's career was a plant manager of Export Leaf Tobacco Co. which was a subsidiary of British American and processed the tobacco for SWR pipe tobacco and Raleigh cigarettes. He smoked Raleigh cigarettes when I was growing up and although it's a totally different organization now and the tobacco is different, it reminds me of my Dad. Nostalgia.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:31 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
That's funny.

Different DNA. I like the way it smells in the tub, the cube cut, the way it's almost impossible to screw up packing the pipe. After a couple of lights it stays lit and I mostly just hold the pipe in my mouth and breathe the smoke from the bowl a little into my nose. Just a puff or two every once in a while. I like it during the day when I'm doing something because I can almost forget about it. In the evenings I like the good stuff like Pegasus or Haunted Bookshop and sometimes something with heavy latakia but lately, I've been on a aromatic binge smoking Lane Hazelnut, Black and Burley and RLP. Maybe that's why the SWR Aro tastes like junk to me. I think as I'm aging I don't like super heavy nicotine hits as much, still like them but just every once in a while. Also I think SWR is slightly higher (to me) in nicotine than Granger or Lane Ready Rubbed but that may be my imagination.

Finally, my Dad's career was a plant manager of Export Leaf Tobacco Co. which was a subsidiary of British American and processed the tobacco for SWR pipe tobacco and Raleigh cigarettes. He smoked Raleigh cigarettes when I was growing up and although it's a totally different organization now and the tobacco is different, it reminds me of my Dad. Nostalgia.
It’s one of the few tobaccos that turn me green...others being Pegasus and Haunted Bookshop. Reckon I might not be much for burleys with the exception of Crooner and even then, not very often. I think my body chemistry just doesn’t agree with the stuff as rope tobacco gives me zero issues and I adore 1792.

If I see a pouch, I will retry it for no other reason than saying hello to your Dad.
—Marcus Aurelius

Goose55

Post by Goose55 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
That's funny.

Way back in 2016 JimVH sent me a gift package with pipes and tobaccos. Included was a partial pouch of SWR. I had been smoking only Captain Black White and my tongue was fried. Jim's gift of SWR saved me from abandoning the pipe again. It was as George Burns said, terrific.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
That's funny.

Way back in 2016 JimVH sent me a gift package with pipes and tobaccos. Included was a partial pouch of SWR. I had been smoking only Captain Black White and my tongue was fried. Jim's gift of SWR saved me from abandoning the pipe again. It was as George Burns said, terrific.
Sold. It's not easy to find anymore, though. I'll have to try the <gasp> competition.
—Marcus Aurelius

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:51 pm

"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:57 pm

"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:21 pm

For Hugo---

DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:45 pm