It's no wonder why Congress can't write coherent laws

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

It's no wonder why Congress can't write coherent laws

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 am

"Democrat representative Emanuel Cleaver caused a stir online after he ended his congressional prayer with the words “amen and awoman.”

Mr Cleaver was invited to deliver the prayer opening up the 117th Congress on Sunday, when he decided to introduce a gesture towards gender neutrality." ---Independent.co.uk

If Pastor Cleaver had left out _men and _women it would have left him with a which would have obviously been a stab at Canadian cultural appropriation, eh?
DEUS VULT!

TheShepherd
Congregation
Congregation

Re: It's no wonder why Congress can't write coherent laws

Post by TheShepherd » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 am
"Democrat representative Emanuel Cleaver caused a stir online after he ended his congressional prayer with the words “amen and awoman.”

Mr Cleaver was invited to deliver the prayer opening up the 117th Congress on Sunday, when he decided to introduce a gesture towards gender neutrality." ---Independent.co.uk

If Pastor Cleaver had left out _men and _women it would have left him with a which would have obviously been a stab at Canadian cultural appropriation, eh?
The root of the word "amen" has nothing to do with sex; this was pretty silly and stupid:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/amen

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 am

I've met the good reverend Cleaver a couple times. He was mayor of KC MO before being elected to the US House of Representatives. He's as liberal as this story makes him seem.

Holy gerrymandering Batman! Rev Cleavers district is shown in green. It's urban and rural poor-ish. I lived in Lee's Summit - the "upscale" white (on this map and in reality) island in the middle.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:55 am

I was not expecting Wosbald to look like that. :clown:
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 am
I've met the good reverend Cleaver a couple times. He was mayor of KC MO before being elected to the US House of Representatives. He's as liberal as this story makes him seem.

Holy gerrymandering Batman! Rev Cleavers district is shown in green. It's urban and rural poor-ish. I lived in Lee's Summit - the "upscale" white (on this map and in reality) island in the middle.
Right below that green line. Pleasant Hill, land of the free.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm

It's not a Christian prayer so a nonsense ending to a nonsense god seems about right.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:35 pm

One of our scouts told his mom this story and she scolded him to get his facts straight before spreading rumors.
Then she checked the facts and has to apologize for her son :lol:
DEUS VULT!

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:18 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 am

This is worse than terrible awful. This execrable piece of human waste represents Saline County????? MY MOTHER STILL LIVES THERE!

I grew up in Marshall -- it's right there, on the map, just before you get to Slater.

That district swallowed up a huge chunk of Missouri's Trump Country, and overwhelmed it with folks who think that Witless Cleaver is capable of leading or representing real people.

Please don't tell my Mom. It'll break her heart.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:07 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm
It's not a Christian prayer so a nonsense ending to a nonsense god seems about right.
I was thinking something similar, but you worded it better.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:13 pm

DEUS VULT!

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:06 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 am

Mr Cleaver was invited to deliver the prayer opening up the 117th Congress on Sunday, wanhen he decided to introduce a gesture towards gender neutrality." ---Independent.co.uk

Ahh! This is good. More appropriate in my opinion, than the stupidity he revealed. He doesn't even know the meaning of the word "Amen"? And he is brazen enough to say yes to "will you offer the prayer?" This was SO STUPID, SO fixated on political correctness and this ridiculous gender neutrality garbage....it just angered me!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:13 pm
Womanipulation
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH