Woodworking, good grief!

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Woodworking, good grief!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:59 pm

I had a few small projects in mind. I haven't done any wood working in quite a few years since my band saw, drill press and miter saw wore out.
I toyed with a few handsaws I picked up at junk stores and swap meets, mostly out of curiosity and cheap thrills, cleaned them up and found them, well, fun!
I recently replaced the band saw, drill press and miter saw and even dragged out some classic old hand tools out of the garage to restore and possibly use, so I went to YouTube and searched wood working videos to learn how to restore old woodworking tools..
Oh. my!
What a rabbit hole I've fallen into! 8O
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Re: Woodworking, good grief!

Post by JMG » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:06 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:59 pm
I had a few small projects in mind. I haven't done any wood working in quite a few years since my band saw, drill press and miter saw wore out.
I toyed with a few handsaws I picked up at junk stores and swap meets, mostly out of curiosity and cheap thrills, cleaned them up and found them, well, fun!
I recently replaced the band saw, drill press and miter saw and even dragged out some classic old hand tools out of the garage to restore and possibly use, so I went to YouTube and searched wood working videos to learn how to restore old woodworking tools..
Oh. my!
What a rabbit hole I've fallen into! 8O
Down, down, down the rabbit hole goes.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 am

What sorts of projects are you thinking about?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 am
A folding neck tie rack is how this started. I had a circa 1930s-1940s one made out of celluloid that finally broke and couldn't be repaired so I wanted to replace it with wood.
Then one thing led to another,
and Paul Sellers and Rex Kreuger showed up :facepalm:
I found a piece of flat granite countertop that's been sitting outside that I want to clean up and use for sharpening chisels and plane irons,
Then I'll need a mallet for the chisels
And a work bench
And a leg vise
And a.... :egor:

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 am
FredS wrote:
A folding neck tie rack is how this started. I had a circa 1930s-1940s one made out of celluloid that finally broke and couldn't be repaired so I wanted to replace it with wood.
I found a piece of flat granite countertop that's been sitting outside that I want to clean up and use for sharpening chisels and plane irons,
And a work bench
And a leg vise
I want one too.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:33 am
FredS wrote:
And a work bench
And a leg vise
I want one too.
You two should get together and make some. One guy makes the wood parts, one makes the metal.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:19 pm

I may have found a lead on some auger bits for my brace :chili:

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Sharpening chisels and plane irons are a big part of the program. There are a few ways to do this but most involve putting together a sharpening station of flat glass or stone for sandpaper, or something like MDF for diamond plates or stones.
I found a cigar box or old stones, but I have no idea what grit they are, I also have a scrap of granite countertop that's rough on two sides.
So sharpening with sand paper it will be for now, but I need to make straight the two sides so out comes my tile saw with a diamond blade.

One side cut smoothly :D but 6" shy of the other side she stopped cutting. The diamond blade is dulls-ville.
I had used this blade quite a bit before putting the saw away, so it doesn't surprise me, but :poop: now I should get a new diamond saw blade and they ain't cheap.
For 6" of granite.
To make it more distasteful, this is my last piece of stone, so it is doubtful I'll be cutting any more of anything requiring a diamond blade.

Maybe Harbor Freight has a deal with a coupon so I can get this disaster off our patio table :(

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:49 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:32 pm
Sharpening chisels and plane irons are a big part of the program . . . I found a cigar box or old stones, but I have no idea what grit they are,
Ya use what ya got. Surely you can sort them coarse, medium, fine. Or even just coarse and fine.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:49 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sharpening chisels and plane irons are a big part of the program . . . I found a cigar box or old stones, but I have no idea what grit they are,
Ya use what ya got. Surely you can sort them coarse, medium, fine. Or even just coarse and fine.
I've gone to using just a plane of glass with various grit sandpaper. Maybe some compound on a cloth at the end. Does a fair job.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 pm

JMG wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:16 pm
FredS wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
I've gone to using just a plane of glass with various grit sandpaper. Maybe some compound on a cloth at the end. Does a fair job.
I have a 12x12x2 grade A granite plate that's fantastic for honing tools or sanding dead flat surfaces on metal or wood. I think I only paid about $60 for it 15 or 20 years ago. That's certainly more than a recycled pane of glass or counter top but it's handy. Thing probably weighs 40-50lbs so it doesn't move around when I'm working on it. Truth be told though, I'm not a guy who keeps his woodworking tools hair-popping sharp. I'm more of a those-burrs-the-belt-grinder-leaves-act-like-really-fine-teeth-and-cut-good-enough kind of guy.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:50 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:25 pm
JMG wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:16 pm
FredS wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
I have a 12x12x2 grade A granite plate that's fantastic for honing tools or sanding dead flat surfaces on metal or wood. I think I only paid about $60 for it 15 or 20 years ago. That's certainly more than a recycled pane of glass or counter top but it's handy. Thing probably weighs 40-50lbs so it doesn't move around when I'm working on it. Truth be told though, I'm not a guy who keeps his woodworking tools hair-popping sharp. I'm more of a those-burrs-the-belt-grinder-leaves-act-like-really-fine-teeth-and-cut-good-enough kind of guy.
I haven’t gotten anywhere near the skill level that requires those crazy sharp, mirror polished finishes, but I find sharpening a really relaxing thing to do...especially at night after everyone else goes to bed.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:11 pm

I went to two Harbor Freights and between the two there was only one 4-1/2" diamond saw blade left for $27 8O
i went home, reinstalled the old dull blade and took it real slow and had a few kick backs, but
it finished the cut :D
Then I threw that old blade away.
My 16"x12"x1" granite tile is ready for work :chili:

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:40 pm

I found two planes in the garage, a Stanley Bailey #5 and a smaller plane which I assumed was an incarnation of a #4.
Since #4s are the darlings of internet woodworking blogs, I opted the restore the #4-oid first.
Yikes! 8O
There is no name and the only foundry marks are a 5, and 8, a U in a circle and Made in the USA
The frog is stamped sheet metal held on with two screws, but the proper sized screwdriver blade for those screws do not fit in the slots in the frog---I had to use a cabinet screwdriver for the job. Fortunately it didn't booger the screwheads. Then the heel is askew to one side and is quite noticeable after I took off the tote. A pretty good grinding job, but why? What's that all about?
Also one of the cheeks was apparently polished and rusted(which I expected) but the cheek on the opposite side looks japaned. :egor:

I think I'll put this one aside and start working on the Stanley instead.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:42 pm

It's been four days and I've yet to touch a single piece of wood. :lol:

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:40 pm
I found two planes in the garage, a Stanley Bailey #5 and a smaller plane which I assumed was an incarnation of a #4.
Since #4s are the darlings of internet woodworking blogs, I opted the restore the #4-oid first.
Yikes! 8O
There is no name and the only foundry marks are a 5, and 8, a U in a circle and Made in the USA
The frog is stamped sheet metal held on with two screws, but the proper sized screwdriver blade for those screws do not fit in the slots in the frog---I had to use a cabinet screwdriver for the job. Fortunately it didn't booger the screwheads. Then the heel is askew to one side and is quite noticeable after I took off the tote. A pretty good grinding job, but why? What's that all about?
Also one of the cheeks was apparently polished and rusted(which I expected) but the cheek on the opposite side looks japaned. :egor:

I think I'll put this one aside and start working on the Stanley instead.
I bought a filing cabinet at a Goodwill type store last week or so, and the owner kicked in an old Stanley No. 4 for free. It needs a fair share of restoration, but all the parts are there. The handle has a split in it. I will probably glue it back together and shouldn't be noticeable, but I'm tempted to make a new and a front knob from something cool.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:32 am

Cool!
Planes are interesting to work on.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:58 pm

I was taking a bunch of stuff out of the garage to donate to the Restore and came across a Stanley try square,
It looks just like this:Image
This should come in handy :D

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:34 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:42 pm
It's been four days and I've yet to touch a single piece of wood. :lol:
Affers will chime in in 1 - 2 - 3 -