Woodworking, good grief!

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Woodworking, good grief!

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:33 pm

Well, a 1/2", 3/4" and 1" auger are joining the party. The 1/2" and 1" are NOS Irwins.
I also cut a 4"x3"x7" block of old wood (fir?) This will (if I don't mess up) become my mallet.
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun May 02, 2021 9:11 am

I'd like to axe a question (see what I did there?)
I want a hatchet with some beard for roughing green firewood---a hewing hatchet---but by all accounts I can get by with a camping hatchet that has some beard to it like an old Boy Scout or Hudson's Bay style. I'm thinking a broad ax would be near perfect, but these are pretty expensive and most I encountered are badly worn, so a question for you wood workers are, what do you see are my options?
I'd like to look for used but not worn out tools since new woodworking hatchets are out of my budget
FWIW, none of the imported camping hatchets I see at local shops have any beard.
I do have a roofing hammer, but then again, no beard.
I do have a full size Jersey pattern axe which has some beard---would a full size axe be too ungainly to use inside a shop?

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon May 03, 2021 10:38 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:11 am
I want a hatchet with some beard for roughing green firewood---a hewing hatchet---but by all accounts I can get by with a camping hatchet that has some beard to it like an old Boy Scout or Hudson's Bay style. I'm thinking a broad ax would be near perfect, but these are pretty expensive and most I encountered are badly worn, so a question for you wood workers are, what do you see are my options?
I'd like to look for used but not worn out tools since new woodworking hatchets are out of my budget
FWIW, none of the imported camping hatchets I see at local shops have any beard.
I do have a full size Jersey pattern axe which has some beard---would a full size axe be too ungainly to use inside a shop?
Why do you want to rough green firewood?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:38 am
Hovannes wrote:
To make a jointer's mallet. The seasoned wood I have is too lightweight

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 03, 2021 4:00 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm
FredS wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
So just one roughly 3" or 4' square chunk? Uhm - - - you got a hand saw?
I like buying tools as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd buy a hatchet for this one project. How many other times in your life have you needed a hewing hatchet?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon May 03, 2021 4:58 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:00 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm
FredS wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
So just one roughly 3" or 4' square chunk? Uhm - - - you got a hand saw?
I like buying tools as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd buy a hatchet for this one project. How many other times in your life have you needed a hewing hatchet?
Point taken. I gave my hatchet away decades ago. They scare me!