Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Roadmaster

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:06 pm
When I was a kid the news guys would talk about the White House hosting a State dinner. I thought they were saying steak dinner. I thought being president meant you got to eat steak all the time. It must have been really good steak to have made the news.
When I was a kid on the evening news they would announce how many shares were sold on the stock exchange that day. I thought they were saying chairs. I couldn't understand why anyone cared how many chairs were sold.
Mrs R thought it was 'The Long Ranger' and I hope she never finds it was posted here.
Never let yourself be persuaded that any one Great Man, any one leader, is necessary to the salvation of America. When America consists of one leader and 158 million followers, it will no longer be America.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 pm

CodeMonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:06 pm
When I was a kid the news guys would talk about the White House hosting a State dinner. I thought they were saying steak dinner. I thought being president meant you got to eat steak all the time. It must have been really good steak to have made the news.
When I was a kid on the evening news they would announce how many shares were sold on the stock exchange that day. I thought they were saying chairs. I couldn't understand why anyone cared how many chairs were sold.
You sit in chairs while you eat steak?

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 pm

Last day with students tomorrow - individual conferences with my capstone creative writing course students.
Then grading,
Then graduation.
Then posting grades
Then a couple of ceremonies.
And I’m done.

Then Summer!
Man, this year went fast.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:43 pm
Last day with students tomorrow - individual conferences with my capstone creative writing course students.
Then grading,
Then graduation.
Then posting grades
And I’m done.

Then Summer!
Done done? Or just done?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 am
durangopipe wrote:
Then grading,
Then graduation.
Then posting grades
And I’m done.

Then Summer!
Done done? Or just done?
Technically, done done.
My position was eliminated in a cost saving move.

But the President, and Provost who eliminated the position are leaving and my dean who recommended I be retained will be the new Provost. He said we would “revisit” this after they’re gone on July 1.

I’m not moving out of my office just yet.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:06 pm

I bought a tenoning jig today. I am glad I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:08 pm

I was offered a job selling beer at a two day long music festival.
Snoop Dogg is the headliner.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Then grading,
Then graduation.
Then posting grades
And I’m done.

Then Summer!
Done done? Or just done?
Technically, done done.

But the President, and Provost who eliminated the position are leaving and my dean who recommended I be retained will be the new Provost. He said we would “revisit” this after they’re gone on July 1.

There's too many pipes, tobaccos, books, flies, rods, watches, guns, knives, pens, ink, and so on and so forth to buy. You NEED that job. Have you ever had a custom hat made for yourself? :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm
FredS wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
Then grading,
Then graduation.
Then posting grades
And I’m done.

Then Summer!
Done done? Or just done?
Technically, done done.

There's too many pipes, tobaccos, books, flies, rods, watches, guns, knives, pens, ink, and so on and so forth to buy. You NEED that job. Have you ever had a custom hat made for yourself? :lol:
My sentiments, exactly.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

You know you have my prayers dp.

In other news, I've been bitten by a spider and now have that curious type of wound that looks like a crater on my arm. I'd like to put some neosporin on it but it would stain my shirt so I need a band aid to cover it. I've searched high and low in the house and can't find any. Evidently, neither Mrs FredS or I have needed a band aid since we moved six months ago. When we had kids around, we had partial boxes of band aids all over the house, but now I have to break open the first aid kit from one of our vehicles.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

In other news, I've been bitten by a spider and now have that curious type of wound that looks like a crater on my arm. I'd like to put some neosporin on it but it would stain my shirt so I need a band aid to cover it. I've searched high and low in the house and can't find any. Evidently, neither Mrs FredS or I have needed a band aid since we moved six months ago. When we had kids around, we had partial boxes of band aids all over the house, but now I have to break open the first aid kit from one of our vehicles.
Sheesh, please, get that looked at. Spider bites that turn into craters are a big deal. As you, ahem, get older - even more so.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:48 am

Avengers: Infinity War sucks.
Sam Machkovetch wrote:This Avengers sequel fails to make viewers care, or believe, that any of the heroes we invest in had true faith or hope in each other.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:49 am

Came home yesterday to find that one of the children didn't adequately close the freezer we keep in the garage...the one that holds all the meat...including a quarter of cow. Blood had pooled and then oozed out and across the floor.

This is just the latest of a pretty crap-hole week after having to replace a transmi$$ion a few days before.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:49 am
Came home yesterday to find that one of the children didn't adequately close the freezer we keep in the garage...the one that holds all the meat...including a quarter of cow. Blood had pooled and then oozed out and across the floor.

This is just the latest of a pretty crap-hole week after having to replace a transmi$$ion a few days before.
:(
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:49 am

bummer. just talk to the auto shop. Brake work will be $850. 8O
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:07 am

Praying, DP and Fred. I've been through all of that, cut-backs, re-orgs, spider bites. More than several times.

And JB, that must be one heck of a brake job.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:12 am

Cleon wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

Sheesh, please, get that looked at. Spider bites that turn into craters are a big deal. As you, ahem, get older - even more so.
It's only about the size of a dime and hasn't gotten bigger in the last day. I usually give these types of things three weeks. If it's not showing improvement by then I'll see a doc.

I recently had a leftover piece of an extracted tooth sticking through my gum. I argued with the insurance company for two weeks trying to get a visit to an oral surgeon approved as a covered medical issue instead of a not-covered dental need, and I'll be damned if my body didn't just push it out on it's own.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:04 am

Your bite kind of sounds like a Brown Recluse bite. We have them here and they can be a problem
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:04 am
Your bite kind of sounds like a Brown Recluse bite. We have them here and they can be a problem
We had them where I'm from too. Seems like everyone knows someone who's damn near lost a limb due to the skin rot those things cause. As a kid, you learn real quick to shake the s*** out of your work boots if you keep them in the garage or shed.

(Remind me and I'll show it to you tomorrow. 8O It's really not much as these things go. Neosporin is magic sauce.)

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:19 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:50 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:04 am
We had them where I'm from too. Seems like everyone knows someone who's damn near lost a limb due to the skin rot those things cause. As a kid, you learn real quick to shake the s*** out of your work boots if you keep them in the garage or shed.

(Remind me and I'll show it to you tomorrow. 8O It's really not much as these things go. Neosporin is magic sauce.)
My uncle always said, "Rub some dirt on it...you'll be fine"
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD