Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
neenjaoflove
Usher
Usher

Post by neenjaoflove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:18 pm

I could just pull your show off the air... I am the producer and all
*mumbling* space moron
Thou may'st break, but shalt not bend me

jrtigerfly
Sista of da Beets
Sista of da Beets

Post by jrtigerfly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:19 pm

colton wrote:
neenjaoflove wrote:well i guess i dont really use it much in typing, its more in spoken language
o well
The written word is the one place that itreallymatters, though. Inflection, facial expressions, gestures, and the like make up for poor grammar in speech, but grammar and punctuation are a writer's only tools for ensuring mutual intelligibility in print.
Not really. Some people talk with no inflection, facial expressions or gestures. I know this one guy you talks and he always sounds mad but he's not. Good usage of grammar can inflict emotions. So I say good use of grammar is what counts. Even then poor grammar can be useful. For instance, in Hawaii they talk in Pigeon speak (no not the bird). They have created their own language so to speak. It is poor and hard to understand if you don't live there. However, they created a Bible in Pigeon that helps them better understand it. In which case, grammar is poor but useful.
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam

Dewey
Weedy wed Dewy Ye
Weedy wed Dewy Ye

Post by Dewey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 pm

Nobody wants to visit me in my little cloud... I don't know why. Maybe "cuz I'm cutting" muffins.
Love Dewey.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 pm

neenjaoflove wrote:I could just pull your show off the air... I am the producer and all
*mumbling* space moron
Not after a blast from my power bands you won't.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:21 pm

colton wrote:
neenjaoflove wrote:Okay, I am now waving my white flag.
Ha-ha! Space Ghost has vanquished Moltar once more.
Moltar, from "The Ovens of Moltor?" I met your father once in a steel cage match. I wish you could've seen your old man! Weepin' like a woman after my patented piledriver! Yeah, your dad remembers me. Ooooh yeah!
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

neenjaoflove
Usher
Usher

Post by neenjaoflove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:22 pm

i thought he only blasted zorak? its been a long time since i have seen that show...

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:24 pm

Tag out! I'll rip his face off!
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm

jrtigerfly wrote:
colton wrote:
neenjaoflove wrote:well i guess i dont really use it much in typing, its more in spoken language
o well
The written word is the one place that itreallymatters, though. Inflection, facial expressions, gestures, and the like make up for poor grammar in speech, but grammar and punctuation are a writer's only tools for ensuring mutual intelligibility in print.
Not really. Some people talk with no inflection, facial expressions or gestures. I know this one guy you talks and he always sounds mad but he's not. Good usage of grammar can inflict emotions. So I say good use of grammar is what counts. Even then poor grammar can be useful. For instance, in Hawaii they talk in Pigeon speak (no not the bird). They have created their own language so to speak. It is poor and hard to understand if you don't live there. However, they created a Bible in Pigeon that helps them better understand it. In which case, grammar is poor but useful.
Oh wow, I was just giving neenja a hard time; I didn't mean to open up a debate on proper grammar.

In any case, I think we agree, but I'm speaking in a broad sense. Mutual intelligibility is the only reason for rules of any kind, so they're only important insofar as they advance that cause. In the written word, rules and convention are all an author has (even if it's the rules of a pigeon language), but a speaker has other tricks up his sleeve.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:32 pm

A_Morley wrote:Tag out! I'll rip his face off!
I have no idea what you're talking about, but it's hilarious when I imagine Charles Dickens saying it.

Neenja, Space Ghost only blasted Moltar in the adventure series; by the time he got his talk show, he was just blasting Zorak.

jrtigerfly
Sista of da Beets
Sista of da Beets

Post by jrtigerfly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:39 pm

colton wrote:
jrtigerfly wrote:
colton wrote:
o well
Oh wow, I was just giving neenja a hard time; I didn't mean to open up a debate on proper grammar.

In any case, I think we agree, but I'm speaking in a broad sense. Mutual intelligibility is the only reason for rules of any kind, so they're only important insofar as they advance that cause. In the written word, rules and convention are all an author has (even if it's the rules of a pigeon language), but a speaker has other tricks up his sleeve.
Not debating. there's a useless fact about me. i tend to always make people feel like i'm arguing with them.
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam

neenjaoflove
Usher
Usher

Post by neenjaoflove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:46 pm

oh... i was wondering how he would have blasted moltar from the other room... i always thought morley's avatar was charles darwin, but i didnt think he looked like that
now i understand

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:57 pm

neenjaoflove wrote: now i understand
At least now we're back onto the "Useless facts about myself" thread.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

neenjaoflove
Usher
Usher

Post by neenjaoflove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:58 pm

that cuts deep del...
wow i guess that too was on topic with the facts no one cares about lol

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:59 pm

colton wrote:
I have no idea what you're talking about, but it's hilarious when I imagine Charles Dickens saying it.

Neenja, Space Ghost only blasted Moltar in the adventure series; by the time he got his talk show, he was just blasting Zorak.
Shut your pie hole, Blip! Why, twenty years ago I woulda put your head in a half nelson, twisted it around, saying each letter of the alphabet on every turn, and then when I reached the first letter of my true love's name, it would be the lovely Elizabeth, I would yank your head clean off and roll it down the pike like a bowling ball!
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:01 pm

I've spent the last few days rearranging and repainting our apartment. I'm sure it'll look better when we're done, but for the moment there aren't two square feet of uncluttered floorspace anywhere to be found.

MacGuru
I'm a PC
I'm a PC

Post by MacGuru » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:04 pm

A_Morley wrote:
colton wrote:

Shut your pie hole, Blip! Why, twenty years ago I woulda put your head in a half nelson, twisted it around, saying each letter of the alphabet on every turn, and then when I reached the first letter of my true love's name, it would be the lovely Elizabeth, I would yank your head clean off and roll it down the pike like a bowling ball!
Be thankful his true love's name isn't Zola.
"If you get that you're cooler than MacGuru. And nobody's that cool."- LushMojo

Meh Meh Meh.

jrtigerfly
Sista of da Beets
Sista of da Beets

Post by jrtigerfly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:07 pm

I don't have normal fingernails on the pointer fingers.

colton
Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

Post by colton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:15 pm

My left pointer finger is thicker at the knuckle nearest the fingernail from where I broke it in third grade and it was never set because the doctor didn't think it was really broken. I used that finger to learn my right from my left because before that, I was always getting them mixed up.

dmbgg
Elder
Elder

Post by dmbgg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:40 pm

neenjaoflove wrote:oh... i was wondering how he would have blasted moltar from the other room... i always thought morley's avatar was charles darwin, but i didnt think he looked like that
now i understand
I knew it wasn't Darwin and it was an author, I had just forgotten.

neenjaoflove
Usher
Usher

Post by neenjaoflove » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:48 pm

neenjaoflove wrote:
oh... i was wondering how he would have blasted moltar from the other room... i always thought morley's avatar was charles darwin, but i didnt think he looked like that
now i understand

I knew it wasn't Darwin and it was an author, I had just forgotten.
Fine... I'll say it...
I'm your biotch