Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:21 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:19 am
Moral dilemma:

Every few months I put myself on a budget with absolutely no funds for anything I can't put in my mouth (stop snickering Jocose) or gas tank. June is a 'no frills' month. But I want to buy tickets to see Los Lobos at a local festival in March and to reserve a camping spot near Copper Mountain to see The Mavericks at a free concert in September. I'm trying to convince myself that it's good stewardship to spend the money now (before they sell out or become more expensive) and really, the money should be allocated to the month of the events, not the month of the ticket purchase. Our Congress does this sort of financial gymnastics all the time so it's OK, right?
To hell with the budget. It's Los Lobos and The Mavericks, each at outdoor venues in the mountains!
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:01 am

FredS wrote:
Moral dilemma:

Every few months I put myself on a budget with absolutely no funds for anything I can't put in my mouth (stop snickering Jocose) or gas tank. June is a 'no frills' month. But I want to buy tickets to see Los Lobos at a local festival in March and to reserve a camping spot near Copper Mountain to see The Mavericks at a free concert in September. I'm trying to convince myself that it's good stewardship to spend the money now (before they sell out or become more expensive) and really, the money should be allocated to the month of the events, not the month of the ticket purchase. Our Congress does this sort of financial gymnastics all the time so it's OK, right?
You need a budget.

A budget can provide flexibility (Wack A Mole from categories with knowledge of impact to budget)-- and if you save up then you can make purchases when there is savings or a window of opportunity.

I can't comment on your discipline with a no frills month vs. your typical budget. I can comment that working with a zero sum budget has been beneficial for me and my household. I know where I stand on obligations, can make plans and save to them and adjust when new events and information comes in.

Good luck with the plans, FredS.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am

Hovannes wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:45 pm
I'm having In-n-out burger for lunch tomorrow.
Animal style? Try ordering animal style! Messy but wonderful.
Of course.
Delicious as always.

Had it for lunch right after landing in Vegas last week. Having it for lunch right before heading home today.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:28 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:01 am
FredS wrote:
Moral dilemma:

You need a budget.

A budget can provide flexibility (Wack A Mole from categories with knowledge of impact to budget)-- and if you save up then you can make purchases when there is savings or a window of opportunity.

I can't comment on your discipline with a no frills month vs. your typical budget. I can comment that working with a zero sum budget has been beneficial for me and my household. I know where I stand on obligations, can make plans and save to them and adjust when new events and information comes in.

Good luck with the plans, FredS.
This is the yute room, so in reply to your post . . .meh.

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." - St Paul

The 'secret' that St Paul and I know is to not get too twisted up over it no matter what the situation. When I was so focused on money and budgets, I forgot to look up once in a while to even notice if I was living in plenty or in want. I'm past that now so my self-imposed 'no frills' months are more about self-discipline than financial necessity.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:13 pm

...and besides, you bought a new flyrod in May! Score!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:13 pm
...and besides, you bought a new flyrod in May! Score!
That thing is sick! 11' long! I'm thinking of giving it a workout this evening.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Met up with a bro from my past today. We had somewhat of a falling out around 10 years ago. We were such great friends back then. Anyway. ....

I was a little nervous at first but after 2 mins we were giggling like school girls and it was great to catch up and be together again.

:mermaid:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:04 pm
Met up with a bro from my past today. We had somewhat of a falling out around 10 years ago. We were such great friends back then. Anyway. ....

I was a little nervous at first but after 2 mins we were giggling like school girls and it was great to catch up and be together again.

Yer an idiot and you have no idea what this thread is about.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:04 pm

I thought it was TNLP that was supposed to have come out....
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 pm

When Sid posted about his asymmetric bowl my first thought was, "hell, I'm asymmetric". And I am. I always adjust a pipe stem so that the bowl is cocked ever so slightly to my left. One of my arms is slightly longer, and one of my legs as well. I've always considered it an advantage.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 pm
That thing is sick! 11' long! I'm thinking of giving it a workout this evening.

"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Using wheelbarrows, a good friend and I moved 12 cubic yards of humus from my driveway to the back yard today.
Yeah.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Hovannes wrote:Using wheelbarrows, a good friend and I moved 12 cubic yards of humus from my driveway to the back yard today.
Yeah.
That sounds oddly corny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:58 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 pm
Hovannes wrote:Using wheelbarrows, a good friend and I moved 12 cubic yards of humus from my driveway to the back yard today.
Yeah.
That sounds oddly corny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny you should mention corn. I'm also anticipating fresh corn to go on sale at the local Ag University's Farm market in a few days.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:11 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Using wheelbarrows, a good friend and I moved 12 cubic yards of humus from my driveway to the back yard today.
Yeah.
Somebody has to ask:
Just to be clear, you do mean humus and not hummus, correct?
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:06 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:11 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Yeah.
Somebody has to ask:
Just to be clear, you do mean humus and not hummus, correct?
Humus, not middle eastern chick peas. :lol:

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:26 am

383 years ago today, after setting out from England and being a little over two months at sea, my ancestors first landed in Boston.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:30 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:26 am
383 years ago today, after setting out from England and being a little over two months at sea, my ancestors first landed in Boston.
Cool.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 pm

tuttle wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:26 am
That is cool. That's also a lot of Tuttles.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)