Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

The part of the church where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong in the youth room will be moved here.
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: Absolutely Useless Facts About Yourself, No One Cares About

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 pm
Looking at minivans. I actually have always liked them. They're kinda like a limo for your family. Heck yeah.
Seriously. Finally got a minivan recently after our old Pacifica died. It’s amazing, should have gotten one a long time ago.
Sola Deo Gloria

MDPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by MDPiper » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 pm

Thunktank wrote:I may get handmade cowboy boots for my anniversary. We shall see.
Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gitty Up!

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Only a few people have ever messaged m er. I guess I suck.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:39 pm
I may get handmade cowboy boots for my anniversary. We shall see.
So, when did you get a horse? :confused:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm
Thunktank wrote:
You know hov, one can get them with walking heels. Horse not required. However, my wife and I are considering the possibility of a horse when the kids leave the nest. We both enjoyed riding back in the day. Beyond that, western boots with a walking heel are comfortable, desireable at certain times and places and give off a vibe I feel at home with. They are something I can put into my rotation. I used to ride horses a lot and I rode bulls, I grew up with husbandry and I feel at home with western rural life and culture. I live in exile. I used wear ropers a lot. It’s a part of my style and history.

I suppose you’re of the mindset that only working cowboys should be wearing cowboy boots? I knew a few of those guys. :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
You know hov, one can get them with walking heels. Horse not required. However, my wife and I are considering the possibility of a horse when the kids leave the nest. We both enjoyed riding back in the day. Beyond that, western boots with a walking heel are comfortable, desireable at certain times and places and give off a vibe I feel at home with. They are something I can put into my rotation. I used to ride horses a lot and I rode bulls, I grew up with husbandry and I feel at home with western rural life and culture. I live in exile. I used wear ropers a lot. It’s a part of my style and history.

I suppose you’re of the mindset that only working cowboys should be wearing cowboy boots? I knew a few of those guys. :lol:
I wear them quite often and have since I was a kid. Fortunately, around here, they are welcome for business dress, casual, and all manner of social occasions. Having a custom pair sounds like great fun. I'm anxious to see the final product.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I wear them quite often and have since I was a kid. Fortunately, around here, they are welcome for business dress, casual, and all manner of social occasions. Having a custom pair sounds like great fun. I'm anxious to see the final product.
I saw a lot of it in Texas, even in the burbs north of Dallas it was common by the folks who would be willing to come in. I nearly bought a couple of pairs then, one work pair and one casual. I could pull the right boots off here for work, though along the coast they’re out of place. But I want a more casual pair to wear with jeans. They’re also very useful in high grass, especially with snakes. My ropers saved me once from one of those.

Btw, I’m still considering Texas in a few years. Along with Arizona and Nevada. I want out of California. I don’t want to be here forever. I just wasn’t sold on the burbs north of Dallas. It wasn’t Texas enough there. :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:30 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I saw a lot of it in Texas, even in the burbs north of Dallas it was common by the folks who would be willing to come in. I nearly bought a couple of pairs then, one work pair and one casual. I could pull the right boots off here for work, though along the coast they’re out of place. But I want a more casual pair to wear with jeans. They’re also very useful in high grass, especially with snakes. My ropers saved me once from one of those.

Btw, I’m still considering Texas in a few years. Along with Arizona and Nevada. I want out of California. I don’t want to be here forever. I just wasn’t sold on the burbs north of Dallas. It wasn’t Texas enough there. :lol:
No, no. You’re tainted. Infected. I’ve seen it so many times in my life where the city guy moves out to the country for peace and quiet, then decides he can’t live without city water, etc, etc, etc. You live in Disneyland for freaks. That means you’ve got freak incubating in your brain. You’re a one man plague waiting to happen.

Trade off is you can get a pair of boots and pretend you aren’t a Californian, but you have to stay there. Think of the children. :D :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:30 am
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

No, no. You’re tainted. Infected. I’ve seen it so many times in my life where the city guy moves out to the country for peace and quiet, then decides he can’t live without city water, etc, etc, etc. You live in Disneyland for freaks. That means you’ve got freak incubating in your brain. You’re a one man plague waiting to happen.

Trade off is you can get a pair of boots and pretend you aren’t a Californian, but you have to stay there. Think of the children. :D :D
You know what would go well with custom boots? A custom hat! That's right. Just do it already!!!! :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:22 am

Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I know that Ropers are popular with airline pilots---no spurs of course! A couple of cowboys I knew back in the day wore lace up Packers. The gent that made my saddle really appreciated the skills of boot maker Nudie. I have no idea if Luccasie (sp?) is still in business or if he makes customs anymore. Most boots these days feature exotic hides--something I'm not into (although Bull hide has great fang turning attributes it's not really thought of as exotic) The last custom boot maker I knew of in my town sadly passed away (murdered--blunt force trauma, he was over 80 years old)) a few years ago.
Cowboy boots are interesting.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 am

I've never had custom cowboy boots or a custom cowboy hat but I do have a custom saddle. I used to put about 10 hours a day in the saddle on searches and I tells ya, a comfortable custom saddle is worth it!

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 am

JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I got a pair of Tony Lamas on sale--cheap--as a joke. I couldn't believe how comfortable they are. So I have worn cowboy boots for 11 years now and they have saved me a snake bite before. But I don't like the slick leather soles so my boots have the tread.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 am

I fully support the booting of Thunk.

Wait.

I want him to get an awesome pair of boots with cool barrels.

Dont be afraid of elephant hide. Wears like iron and really sets off the right people.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:57 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 am
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I got a pair of Tony Lamas on sale--cheap--as a joke. I couldn't believe how comfortable they are. So I have worn cowboy boots for 11 years now and they have saved me a snake bite before. But I don't like the slick leather soles so my boots have the tread.
Ain't no shame in rubber soles. They grip better and wear longer than leather. I've got a pair of Ariat work boots with rubber soles that have been tortured for years.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:57 am
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Ain't no shame in rubber soles. They grip better and wear longer than leather. I've got a pair of Ariat work boots with rubber soles that have been tortured for years.
Round toes?
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 am
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Round toes?
Better'n square toes.

Thunk should get some of those super pointy toed boots with engraved silver tips. He can get 'em for, like $60 down in Tijuana.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:20 am

UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Round toes?
I'm a round toe guy, but my grand daughter is on me to 'update'. Her wedding is in April and she wants me in black with the broad square toe. I really want a pair of caiman belly, but they're just too darned expensive.

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:22 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 am
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Round toes?
Better'n square toes.

Thunk should get some of those super pointy toed boots with engraved silver tips. He can get 'em for, like $60 down in Tijuana.

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:34 am

The usage of "baccy", whether spoken or in print, is a pet peeve of mine.

I shared this in the Facebook group Corn Cob Nation yesterday and set off a firestorm. There was at least one guy who seemed more irritated about my sharing this than I am when I have to see/hear people using this word slang.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 am

Thunk should get a shade of brown handmade (not custom), cowhide, round toe classic western boots with a Goodyear welt, leather interior and lemonwood tacks. A good solid boot to wear with jeans. That’s what he should get.