All about pipe making
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Natural exposed plateau and pipe shape

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Cleon wrote:
JimVH wrote:Cut it into veneer. It would make some beautiful inlay into the top of a humidor.
Noooooo. Please no.

Jim, buddy, have you lost your mind? You're usually a voice of reason. :lol:

He should turn that puppy into a nice little billiard (and try to lose the natural plateau top).
Or leave just a little bit of it on the edge of the bowl. I like that look.
So, my opinion is that there are very few pipe shapes that look good with a naturally exposed plateau top\rim. Even partially. And definitely not on a straight billiard (my favorite shape). Here's why:

The billiard is a graceful but totally man made shape for a pipe. It's a great example of man taking dominion over nature and creating something beautiful that isn't "natural". Exposed plateau adulterates the graceful man made lines of a billiard even if it is sandblasted or rusticated and not a smooth. I suppose one could make the case that it offers contrast but nah, I don't care for that.

Now, the more organic the overall shape of the pipe the more the plateau naturally fits in. Like on a typical Preben Holm style freehand or maybe even horn/dublin shapes and some pokers.

Just my 2 cents.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Re: Natural exposed plateau and pipe shape

Post by gravel » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 am

I was ok with the veneer idea. I'm not ok with plateau on a billiard. Yech.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:19 am

Dang it. I put this in the wrong forum. Oh, well.

I think Jim was just kidding about the veneer. Hopefully. :wink:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 am

Cleon wrote:Dang it. I put this in the wrong forum. Oh, well.

Sorry, I answered in the other thread. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35827

I wasn't kidding. I saw that block as a woodworker, not as a pipe smoker.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

gravel

Post by gravel » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:33 am

JimVH wrote:

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
I like there are two threads to express how much of a mistake it would be to leave plateau on a billiard.

I'm still loving the veneer idea.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:33 am

JimVH wrote:

[pouts lips]Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.[/pouts lips]

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:32 am

This thread needs a poll.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:10 am

More newb questions here:

Is a tight, dense vertical grain pipe with birdseye at the bottom made from plateau briar?

And if so, are there certain special qualities, other than such a pipes ability to keep from souring, that this part of the burl has? I am thinking about maybe certain nutrients & minerals that are maybe taken up by the burl,... to impart a better flavor to such a pipe?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:10 am

Is a tight, dense vertical grain pipe with birdseye at the bottom made from plateau briar?

And if so, are there certain special qualities, other than such a pipes ability to keep from souring, that this part of the burl has? I am thinking about maybe certain nutrients & minerals that are maybe taken up by the burl,... to impart a better flavor to such a pipe?
Goose, do you know the "difference" between straight grain and birdseye? I'll give you a hint. Think perspective and a stalk of cut celery.

The last thing I'd say is nothat to confuse aesthetic preference with demonstrable superiority. In other words, you can have a beautiful pipe with the straight grain you prefer that is made from poor briar and smokes abysmally.

And I'm not putting down your preferences at all. You like a straight grain, I find them to be a testament to the carver's art but they leave me cold compared to a nice crosscut. Do either of our pipes smoke better because of our aesthetic preferences. My take is no.

Let's take your new hawkbill. It's a pretty pipe. But I don't like donkey nuts and would feel a fool hanging that out of my jaw. Doesn't mean it's a poor smoker, but I'd probably convince myself that it was in order to get rid of it for something that I liked better. Make sense? The pretty girl gets the dance.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:14 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:27 am
Goose55 wrote:

Goose, do you know the "difference" between straight grain and birdseye? I'll give you a hint. Think perspective and a stalk of cut celery.
Yes, I do. As in celery, the grain is in the stalk, parallel, and the end fibers are at the bottom of the bowl of this Pipa Croci.

This is actually a very desirable thing, for the vertical grain will not absorb excessive tars, moisture, etc., as the birdseye will. Such a pipe can be smoked "harder," or many times, and will not sour, and need less time to dry/ rest.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:25 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:14 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Yes, I do. As in celery, the grain is in the stalk, parallel, and the end fibers are at the bottom of the bowl of this Pipa Croci.

This is actually a very desirable thing, for the vertical grain will not absorb excessive tars, moisture, etc., as the birdseye will. Such a pipe can be smoked "harder," or many times, and will not sour, and need less time to dry/ rest.

This is the dumbest thing you could say for which you have no possible proof. I assume you read it in a book by a pipe manufacturer? Much of what you do is eclectic and harmless. Spreading this but of tripe as gospel truth is, I suppose, harmless; however, it is also foolish.

You want to buy straight grain pipes? Fine. You want to tell me they objectively smoke better, age better, out perform all other grain patterns? Goose poo.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:40 am

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:25 am
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

This is the dumbest thing you could say for which you have no possible proof. I assume you read it in a book by a pipe manufacturer? Much of what you do is eclectic and harmless. Spreading this but of tripe as gospel truth is, I suppose, harmless; however, it is also foolish.

You want to buy straight grain pipes? Fine. You want to tell me they objectively smoke better, age better, out perform all other grain patterns? Goose poo.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 am

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Drax, good buddy, what about Dawn + Straight Grain? Surely that must be the winning combination! Image

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I beg to differ. It is not foolish. And I did not read it in a pipe manufacturers book, but in Carl Ehwa's famous book, Pipes & Tobacco. If you will not hear me, maybe you will hear him. This is chapter 2, The Amiable Pipe, page 128. Do you have a copy of this book? If so, perhaps you should re-read it. It is a great book.....

And did you catch that last part about the importance of cleaning a pipe regularly, to remove tars and oils? At the bottom of the first page, and top of the second?

Hear, hear!

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I beg to differ. It is not foolish. And I did not read it in a pipe manufacturers book, but in Carl Ehwa's famous book, Pipes & Tobacco. If you will not hear me, maybe you will hear him. This is chapter 2, The Amiable Pipe, page 128. Do you have a copy of this book? If so, perhaps you should re-read it. It is a great book.....

[img]blob:http://imgur.com/0eedd86f-675c-4f23-a5f2-38fdf10b40f3[/img]
[img]blob:http://imgur.com/7c57824c-9dd3-463c-9f72-fb4bd4f2f8f3[/img]
Absolute and utter frogshit from start to finish. Quoting another man's opinions as proven facts you haven't bothered to verify is no way to convince anyone.

Rusty should have had you read Georges Herment's book first. You'd be lighting cherry wood pipe with coals you left in the bowl.

Get out there and experiment and get your own opinions.

Edit: Please know, Walt, I'm arguing with the theory, not denigrating the man. I like you very much. You have enthusiasm, guts, and a real talent for restoration. I think the theory is foolish, not the man. If I've given the opposite impression, I can only ask your forgiveness.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:12 pm

jruegg wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 am
Drax, good buddy, what about Dawn + Straight Grain? Surely that must be the winning combination! Image
One of the many reasons my pipes always smoke sweet, is because my stems are immaculate. Nearly after every smoke, as you may know--or obviously heard--they soak in a solution of water, with a bit of Dawn, and anti-bacterial soap.

My stems are immaculate, and this is part and parcel of a b-e-a-utiful pipe smoking experience. :signofcross:

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:14 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:30 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

Absolute and utter frogshit from start to finish. Quoting another man's opinions as proven facts you haven't bothered to verify is no way to convince anyone.

Rusty should have had you read Georges Herment's book first. You'd be lighting cherry wood pipe with coals you left in the bowl.

Edit: Please know, Walt, I'm arguing with the theory, not denigrating the man. I like you very much. You have enthusiasm, guts, and a real talent for restoration. I think the theory is foolish, not the man. If I've given the opposite impression, I can only ask your forgiveness.
No worries. We're still good. But Carl Ehwa's work is far from frogshit. Very very valuable knowledge, for everyone who loves the pipe.

Yet, still, we're good. I like you, too.
Last edited by Goose55 on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:12 pm
jruegg wrote:
One of the many reasons my pipes always smoke sweet, is because my stems are immaculate. Nearly after every smoke, as you may know--or obviously heard--they soak in a solution of water, with a bit of Dawn, and anti-bacterial soap.

My stems are immaculate, and this is part and parcel of a b-e-a-utiful pipe smoking experience. :signofcross:
I know buddy.... just a little bit of ribbing-in-love.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 pm

jruegg wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:16 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:12 pm
jruegg wrote:

I know buddy.... just a little bit of ribbing-in-love.
I'm fine with it. Being a CPSer is part of being tried in the furnace of affliction. But, truly, I have learned so much here, and owe a debt of gratitude to so many--I've lost count.

Did you see Wosbald's post (above) with the cartoon of the goose? That is first rate, classic. Broadened my Colgate smille.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:14 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:30 pm
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

No worries. We're still good. But Carl Ehwa's work is far from frogshit. Very very valuable knowledge, for everyone who loves the pipe.

Yet, still, we're good. I like you, too.
Good. I still think both you and Carl are wrong, though. :lol: But I don't think anyone anywhere can prove the subjectivity of their own pipe smoking preferences and proclivities, including me. It's a question of what works for the individual. Best pipe is pipe you love. The only absolute rule is that you put the stem in your mouth.