how much to setup shop?

All about pipe making
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

how much to setup shop?

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:45 pm

What kind of tools would a guy need to make his own pipes?
What kind of initial investment would I be looking at?

Thanks
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Re: how much to setup shop?

Post by coco » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:26 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:29 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:14 pm

coco wrote:Tyler on tools

This.....was especially helpful. Thank you. You most likely just saved me hundreds of dollars, and my gun collection.

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:42 am

Subscribed. If we get this house and I get a local gig, I'd like to try this out too.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:57 am

mont974x4 wrote:
coco wrote:Tyler on tools
This.....was especially helpful. Thank you. You most likely just saved me hundreds of dollars, and my gun collection.
It's a safe bet that Tyler - through the instructions on his old website and especially through The Pipe Makers Forum he started - has done more to help those interested in pipe making, or those interested in making a pipe than anyone. Ever. That's not just hyperbole, it's truth. Such is the power of the internet when it comes to sharing knowledge and practices.

Tyler is a nice guy. He's a CPS'er from way back. And he's making pipes again.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

revspipes
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by revspipes » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Tyler is one of the most warm, generous and humble people I have ever met. And an amazing pipe maker.

rev

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:19 pm

revspipes wrote:Tyler is one of the most warm, generous and humble people I have ever met. And an amazing pipe maker.

rev
+1

I've benefitted from his gracious attitude.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:20 pm

If this thread is going to be about Tyler... I was looking at his family Christmas pictures on FB and it occurred to me he's a lot like Jerry Gergich from "Parks and Rec."
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:26 pm

If I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the initial tools I tried to do it with and bought a floor drill press ($250) with a cross slide drill press vise (under $50), a 1/2 HP 3 phase sanding/buffing motor ($100), a 1/2 HP VFD ($100), hook and loop sanding pads and disc paper in 30, 80, and 220 grit. That's the major costs but if you buy second hand and watch out for deals you could get started for around $500 or so. You'll also need long 5/32" or 9/64" drill bits and tapered drill bits and long 1/16" drill bits for your airways. You'll want 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" drill bits for your mortise. You'll want a precision forstner to face your shank and stem. A coarse flat file with a safe edge and a round file are very handy for dialing in shapes. I would recommend using Delrin tenons with this setup to save a ton of heartaches.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

This thread is a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the kind words guys.

John-boy, having never seen Parks and Rec, I googled "Jerry Gergic". When I saw the result I thought, "OK, ouch, I could lose a few pounds I guess."

Then I googled, "Jerry Gergic family."

Ah ha! (It's true, you jerk.) :lol:

When the whole family is out in public, heads turn. (It doesn't hurt that daughter's 2 and 3 are over 6' tall.) When dear old dad gets noticed a lot of inquisitive looks result. In whispered voices you can hear, "He must be RICH."

Thankfully, my wife has powerful genetics.

But to the original question. The great thing about pipe making is it can grow with you. You can start for about $150 ( including a kit pipe, and if you own absolutely NO tools), and grow it up in small increments as you go. When the time comes for bigger individual purchases, you will know if you love making pipes, and you can sell pipes to fund it. You also don't need much space. It's a pretty perfect hobby, really. It has potential to actually make money. How many hobbies do that?!

fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by fiddlestix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:55 pm

It's true... Tyler's the man! He's a wealth of knowledge and he is incredibly generous in sharing it and his time.

This thread got me to wondering what I have invested in my shop to date. One disclaimer, I do have a good friend, locally who has been at this a year or two longer than I and I have been able to benefit from his shop investments. I am, however, now setup to the point that I don't have to rely on his equipment with the exception of his blast cabinet. Best I can figure with out digging out receipts, I'm sitting at about $500-600 and $300 of that (my metal lathe) was in trade, not cash. I did own a few hand tools and I was also able to scavenge my sanding motor (with my bosses permission, of course) from an old tool that was about to be thrown out at work. I watch craigslist religiously and have tried to be as resourceful as possible. Most of my expenditures have been $20-$30 here and there for small things like bits and sanding pads and such. I'm slowly adding to setup as I sell pipes. The VFD and 3 ph motor that Wayne mentioned are on my short list of future upgrades.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Cool!
Thanks guys!

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:31 pm

I picked up a set of small files, regualr files, and wood carving tools today. I also ordered a couple of pipe carving kits. My dad is going to give me his benchtop scroll saw when he moves back to town later this month. :chili:

I also got my small vise mounted to the work bench and my bench grinder setup.

I do have a question though. What are you using for a buffer and sanding wheel? Did you just put different wheels on a bench grinder?

fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by fiddlestix » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:13 pm

mont974x4 wrote:I picked up a set of small files, regualr files, and wood carving tools today. I also ordered a couple of pipe carving kits. My dad is going to give me his benchtop scroll saw when he moves back to town later this month. :chili:

I also got my small vise mounted to the work bench and my bench grinder setup.

I do have a question though. What are you using for a buffer and sanding wheel? Did you just put different wheels on a bench grinder?
Most bench grinders run at too high an rpm (3600 usually, I believe) for buffing. I suppose you could sand at that kind of speed, but I would think it would be too aggressive. I'm using a 1/2hp motor that runs at 1725 rpm. That's about as fast as you'll ever want to buff. I think some people might buff at faster speeds but with smaller diameter buffs, which keeps their surface speed down. I think there was a thread on pipe makers forum that discussed different rpm/buffing wheel diameter/surface speed senarios. I'm no mathematician, so I just stick to what's working for other folks.

Here's a pic of my setup, meager as it may be. The arbor is about $15, if I'm not mistaken, from Vermont Freehand. Sanding disk in the pic is a 5" padded sanding disk for angle grinder. ($4-5 bucks at Harbour Freight, if memory serves) For initial shaping I use a 7" angle grinder disk with a 36 grit rigid sanding disk. (Again, about $5 at HF.) I had to turn a little bushing to fit around the bolt that threads into the arbor to keep it from wobbling. I just bought a bunch of 2" x 3/8" bolts and installed them in my different sanding pads and buffing wheels so I could switch between implements quickly.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:44 pm

I'll second Mark that the speed of a typical 6" or 8" bench grinder (3500-3600 rpm) is too fast for buffing pipes. I've salvaged some treadmill motors and controls (one was free, one was $35) to use for sanding and buffing. I turned down the motor shafts to 1/2" diameter and used the adapter like Mark shows on my sanding motor and installed a jacobs type chuck on the buffing motor. Those babies run from 0-4500 rpm. I borrowed a tachometer from work and marked the control knob so I can rough sand at about 3500 rpm, finish sand at about 200 rpm (excellent control at that low speed), and buff at 1000 rpm.

But you can do both operations with a hand drill - who doesn't have one of those? The sanding disks, and backing pad are common items found in every hardware store in America. As fiddlestix said, 36 grit is commonly used for rough shaping. When you look at one, you'll think "That looks like rocks glued to a sanding sheet! Do I really need it that coarse?" Yeah, you do. Briar is hard and if you want to go quickly you want to start coarse. Control is more important than speed though so use a soft touch until you get the feel of it. Shaft mounted, 6" dia buffing wheels can be found in well stocked hardware stores or Harbor freight. This set-up is what I used to make my first four or five pipes.

BTW - Your 'woodcarving' tools probably won't get much use 'carving' your pipes. Briar is hard and it would take days or weeks to whittle a pipe out of a block. But maybe you can use them if you want to experiment with rustication. That's not what most people use, but when it comes to rustication tools, everyone sort of does their own thing anyway.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:26 pm

I figured the grinder is just for keeping my tools sharp. That's why asked about your sanding and buffing options. I like the idea of a treadmill motor. Being able to adjust the speed being key, I think.

The wood carving tools are pretty light. I bought a chunk of basswood too. My hope here is to encourage my 11 year to get into some carving. He often asks me to let him make stuff, but most of my tools are for rough work (framing, hanging drywall, etc), as opposed to finish work. Plus, the lighter tools and lighter wood might help me practice and develop some technique.