Artistic Integrity vs. What The Buyer Wants

All about pipe making
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Re: Artistic Integrity vs. What The Buyer Wants

Post by Skip » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:19 am

GaryInVA wrote:I worked as a camera man in TV for several years. While I wouldn't actually call it art I was given a lot of freedom by my director when on live location shoots because he trusted my eye. In TV you do actually build up a video resume. If you apply for work elsewhere you will be asked to send them video. Sometimes they will say, "Send me video from March 10th and June 15th" so that you aren't just sending your best stuff you've saved for your vidow resume. So, in a way every shot I took needed to be as good as I could do artistically.
Exactly.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Tlr23
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Tlr23 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:34 am

nosferatu wrote:You, sir have talent.
Thanks I'm getting there. Unfortunately further knife making is on hold for a bit as we just moved and with money tight and young children I won't be able to get my equipment set back up until later this spring.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 pm

I am offering unique bent apple churchwardens for only $19.95 + S&H to members of the Cobbunist party wishing to branch out a bit.

I admit that I have zero artistic integrity, and I am only doing this for the money.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:21 pm

coco wrote:I am offering unique bent apple churchwardens for only $19.95 + S&H to members of the Cobbunist party wishing to branch out a bit.

I admit that I have zero artistic integrity, and I am only doing this for the money.
I'll do it for 19.90 + S&H! Now... S&H means "Scalping and Highjacking credit card info" right? :mrgreen:

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:23 pm

nosferatu wrote:
coco wrote:I am offering unique bent apple churchwardens for only $19.95 + S&H to members of the Cobbunist party wishing to branch out a bit.

I'll do it for 19.90 + S&H! Now... S&H means "Scalping and Highjacking credit card info" right? :mrgreen:
Maybe.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:15 pm

coco wrote:
nosferatu wrote:

Maybe.
For and extra $5, I'll carve a pipefish in the side.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

coco wrote:
coco wrote:
nosferatu wrote:

Maybe.
For and extra $5, I'll carve a pipefish in the side.
Why am I tempted to make one of those and smoke it for the camera right now? :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:06 pm

It would seem that you are at the beginning of your pipe making career, and nothing benefits those who seek to advance their craft more than the doing of it, that is, making pipes. If it were me, but it is not, as working with my hands is not my forte, I'd make any shape anyone would pay me to make. Moreover, I'd probably just carve to be carving.

At this point I don't think you can justifiably turn down work, no matter how good your reason.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:53 pm

I don't think this question is as difficult as it may seem. It sort of works itself out as you make pipes and face decisions. It pretty much boils down to this: if you need the money, then make the dang pipe. Artistic integrity, and all that, Is most strongly adhered to in the halls of the inexperienced and well fed. Most pipe makers aren't artists any way, so artistic integrity is a non-issue.

As for not having your name on a pipe you won't be proud of later? The only way to accomplish that is never put your name on a pipe.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Tyler wrote:I don't think this question is as difficult as it may seem. It sort of works itself out as you make pipes and face decisions. It pretty much boils down to this: if you need the money, then make the dang pipe. Artistic integrity, and all that, Is most strongly adhered to in the halls of the inexperienced and well fed. Most pipe makers aren't artists any way, so artistic integrity is a non-issue.

As for not having your name on a pipe you won't be proud of later? The only way to accomplish that is never put your name on a pipe.
Hmmm. Your input on this is questionable, since you've made pipes that I've held that I STILL can't believe how freaking awesome they were/are. :wink:
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:57 pm

Skip wrote:
Tyler wrote:I don't think this question is as difficult as it may seem. It sort of works itself out as you make pipes and face decisions. It pretty much boils down to this: if you need the money, then make the dang pipe. Artistic integrity, and all that, Is most strongly adhered to in the halls of the inexperienced and well fed. Most pipe makers aren't artists any way, so artistic integrity is a non-issue.

Hmmm. Your input on this is questionable, since you've made pipes that I've held that I STILL can't believe how freaking awesome they were/are. :wink:
Ha, well, thats the kindest discrediting I've ever received!

harkpuff
Usher
Usher

Post by harkpuff » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:50 pm

TimfromtheBurg wrote:
nosferatu wrote:As some of you may know, I hope to eventually make some pipes - if for no other reason than for the creative outlet and love of pipe smoking.

Anywhoo, I was talking with my wife about this desire recently and she asked me if I would ever make a pipe I don't like for myself (like a straight Dublin or a Liverpool). My initial thought was I would as it would be for the buyer and not myself, and that while I may not appreciate the shapes themselves I can appreciate the craftsmanship behind them. But then I started thinking further about artistic integrity and how one thing I appreciate about artisan pipemakers is how they all have their own thing and style: Grant Batson has his tormented blowfishes, Nanna Ivarsson has her squashed tomatoes and acorns with extra flow, Nate King has his Gearpunk pipes, Olie Sylvester has his Monstrosities, Wayne Teipen has his Mad Hatters, etc.

All this leads me to ask where does the line stand between what you like and what the customer likes - or in other words, at what point do you feel like you're selling out for the paycheck?
Simply this on commission pipes. If you have the skills and they have the bucks. Make the pipe! Don't overthink the psychology behind it. Just make it. Then.....on non-commission pipes...do what makes you giggle.