My First Go at Rustication

All about pipe making
Post Reply
User avatar
SgtSmoke
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm
Contact:

My First Go at Rustication

Post by SgtSmoke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:34 pm

I bought this pipe on Ebay for 12 dollars including shipping with the Intent on trying my hand at rustication. Once I gave it a good soak in alcohol and a good sanding I notice the grain of the this pipe was pretty nice. A little bit of bird's eye, straight and flame. It had few fills in it, so I tried to create a design that would cover the the fills, but flow with the pipe. The first pic is what I started with and the last three are of the finished product. Let me know what you think. Thanks
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity
Posts: 10857
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Skeptopolis

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by Onyx » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Fantastic job. A new beginning for that pipe!

User avatar
SgtSmoke
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by SgtSmoke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by JMG » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:34 pm

I've never been a fan of partial rustication, but you did a fantastic job cleaning this pipe up.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
SgtSmoke
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by SgtSmoke » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks JMG

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 7913
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:55 am

That's a fine job and new life for an old worn pipe
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:55 pm

JMG wrote:I've never been a fan of partial rustication, but you did a fantastic job cleaning this pipe up.
Really? That may one of the first times you and I haven't agreed on preferences in pipe styling.

I may cry.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by JMG » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
JMG wrote:I've never been a fan of partial rustication, but you did a fantastic job cleaning this pipe up.
Really? That may one of the first times you and I haven't agreed on preferences in pipe styling.

I may cry.
Partial sandblast? Yes. Partial rustication? No...at least not in most cases. Sorry niafo.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:25 am

JMG wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JMG wrote:I've never been a fan of partial rustication, but you did a fantastic job cleaning this pipe up.
Really? That may one of the first times you and I haven't agreed on preferences in pipe styling.

I may cry.
Partial sandblast? Yes. Partial rustication? No...at least not in most cases. Sorry niafo.
Well, maybe it's best you're going back then. :P
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Sandlapper
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Suffolk, Virginia
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by Sandlapper » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:45 am

In my most humble opinion, and on this forum and on this subject my opinion is the most humble of all, I like it.
Sandlapper (not sandpaper)<br>"A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to put in his mouth."  C.S. Lewis

User avatar
SgtSmoke
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by SgtSmoke » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the kind words.

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 5910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by JMG » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
JMG wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JMG wrote:I've never been a fan of partial rustication, but you did a fantastic job cleaning this pipe up.
Really? That may one of the first times you and I haven't agreed on preferences in pipe styling.

I may cry.
Partial sandblast? Yes. Partial rustication? No...at least not in most cases. Sorry niafo.
Well, maybe it's best you're going back then. :P
I don't know how to post a meme, but this one properly expresses my emotional reaction to your statement. I haz a sad...

http://weknowmemes.com/2011/12/gorilla- ... -away-gif/
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33109
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:51 am

JMG wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JMG wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
JMG wrote:I've never been a fan of partial rustication, but you did a fantastic job cleaning this pipe up.
Really? That may one of the first times you and I haven't agreed on preferences in pipe styling.

I may cry.
Partial sandblast? Yes. Partial rustication? No...at least not in most cases. Sorry niafo.
Well, maybe it's best you're going back then. :P
I don't know how to post a meme, but this one properly expresses my emotional reaction to your statement. I haz a sad...

http://weknowmemes.com/2011/12/gorilla- ... -away-gif/
Oh my goodness, that was hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man, I sure am glad I got to meet you in person. One of the highlights of my year, without a doubt.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
Sid.Stavros
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:11 am
Location: Athens-Greece
Contact:

Re: My First Go at Rustication

Post by Sid.Stavros » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:28 pm

SgtSmoke: Well done,a very good start! What tool did you use?

Post Reply