The ShopSmith Mk I lives again

All about pipe making
Pepik
Working as Intended

The ShopSmith Mk I lives again

Post by Pepik » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:18 pm

So I've luckily inherited my Grandfather's ShopSmith Mk I through my Dad (Mom and Dad downsized their living arrangements some years ago - I had a full basement and interest, etc). We recently cleaned and lubed it up, replaced the drive belt that's far older than I am, and are acquiring the correct Live tail end adapter (since the original Mk I presupposed if you were turning wood, your let the static pin spin inside the wood itself, which of course always scorched the contact point so you had to include for extra wastage and potential heat-cracking through the center-line of the piece) for the Buffing Mandrel I asked for and received for my recent B'day.

Now that things are coming together nicely, I'm starting to look forward into acquiring a self-centering Chuck that would fit the drive shaft of the Mk I (which is damn close to the current Mk V/VII). I have aspirations to take things one step further than merely restoring/buffing estate pipes.

Something to look into at the Chicago Show I'm quite sure. I may need to inquire with one of our Artists if I could get some blasting done on spec for my far-flung-future-project of turning some Morta into a purty ole pipe, or two...

Given this activity, and the soon to kick-off new Train-set build out, I think I'll have enough wood scraps to build that enclosure for the Ionizer I picked up to remove the ghost aromas/sanitize some of those Estate pickups I snagged off of eBay. My Hobby to-do list overfloweth, and that's good I think.

In the immortal (immoral?) words of I-D: We Shall See.
Rgrds,
Joe

"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: The ShopSmith Mk I lives again

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:23 pm

Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Got wrapped up in including URL references, forgot to mention I'll be including pictures anon. I still need to find where I put the original Chuck when I get home from work later tonight, and move the current train set out of the way to get a decent snap of the rig. Perhaps tomorrow when I'm cleaning up the basement a bit more to make space for the 18' x 14' layout and get the rest of XMas decorations down inside the house.
Rgrds,
Joe

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Pepik wrote:... I'm cleaning up the basement a bit more to make space for the 18' x 14' layout...
Will there be a thread for this?
Praying - coco
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:14 pm

My grandfather and I built a lot of stuff in his shop which was build around his ShopSmith Mark I. I was the only one in the family who ever worked with him in his shop, but when he died, my uncle took all his stuff (I'd moved away) and sold it and never even had the courtesy to offer any of it to me. For sale or free.

I hope you get many years enjoyment out of piddling with yours.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:16 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Pepik wrote:... I'm cleaning up the basement a bit more to make space for the 18' x 14' layout...
When I have something to show - of course.
Rgrds,
Joe

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Pepik wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Baseline the project, baby.
Praying - coco

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:09 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Pepik wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
So I've co-opted the original Model Train thread here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36826&p=1028515#p1028515

"nuff said on this thread 'bout it.
Rgrds,
Joe

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:10 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Pepik wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
John Boy is one of those guys who makes lists just because he enjoys the thrill of checking things off. Even if the only thing he checks off is "1. Make List" he feels like he made progress.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:16 pm

FredS wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
Pepik wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
John Boy is one of those guys who makes lists just because he enjoys the thrill of checking things off. Even if the only thing he checks off is "1. Make List" he feels like he made progress.
Praying - coco

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:22 pm

Man, I am jealous. I always have wanted a Shopsmith model 10ER.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Pepik
Working as Intended

Post by Pepik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Got the right ends for the Mandrel - used it to some success on an estate pipe cleaning it up and polishing.

/edit - hmmm - looks like I took some terribly, terribly out-of-focus shots.
Rgrds,
Joe

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 am

Nice. Let's see the pipe.
Praying - coco

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:33 am

This thread gives me a tingle. More pics of the machine, please.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:39 pm

they do take up space...but what a cool tool to have. I agree I would love to see pics of the pipe and pics of the entire unit
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:51 pm

FredS wrote:My grandfather and I built a lot of stuff in his shop which was build around his ShopSmith Mark I. I was the only one in the family who ever worked with him in his shop, but when he died, my uncle took all his stuff (I'd moved away) and sold it and never even had the courtesy to offer any of it to me. For sale or free.

FredS, this is truly a sad story! I felt emotions of sadness and anger imagining what you must have felt like. How insensitive of your uncle to not even ask if you wanted the equipment. Surely he knew you worked with your grandfather!

"O would some pow'r the gift te giee us, to see ourselves as ithers see us. It would fra many a blunder free us . . and foolish notion."

I am truly sorry for this loss...........more the sentimental and love you would feel each time you used it, than the mere possession. :(
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Tatanka wrote:
FredS wrote:My grandfather and I built a lot of stuff in his shop which was build around his ShopSmith Mark I. I was the only one in the family who ever worked with him in his shop, but when he died, my uncle took all his stuff (I'd moved away) and sold it and never even had the courtesy to offer any of it to me. For sale or free.

FredS, this is truly a sad story! I felt emotions of sadness and anger imagining what you must have felt like. How insensitive of your uncle to not even ask if you wanted the equipment. Surely he knew you worked with your grandfather!

"O would some pow'r the gift te giee us, to see ourselves as ithers see us. It would fra many a blunder free us . . and foolish notion."

I am truly sorry for this loss...........more the sentimental and love you would feel each time you used it, than the mere possession. :(
I truly don't want to hijack Pepiks thread, but. . .
I learned a valuable lesson over this deal when I was just 21 years old. Since I left home at 17 I've understood that my parents, my grandparents, my brothers, nor anyone else owes me a thing in this world. If they die and leave something to me then that'd be great, but it's fine if they don't. I can't lose what I never had. I've seen families damaged (sometimes beyond repair) in squabbles over estates left behind. There's never been a lot of money in my family, and my 75 year old father is the only ancestor still alive. And he's already given most of what is valuable to us boys, so I don't expect any issues when he kicks it.

Also, I do have an old Montgomery Wards scroll saw that belonged to grandpa. I swiped the motor and flex shaft off of it a few years ago to use for the spindle motor of an engraving pantograph I made. I think of him every time I engrave a pipe.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:00 pm

WANTED

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Does anyone else here own a Shopsmith?

Someone in Lubbock is selling this:

They want $1200--too dang high! But it is sweet!

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:49 pm
Does anyone else here own a Shopsmith?

Someone in Lubbock is selling this:

They want $1200--too dang high! But it is sweet!
No, I don’t have one, but they’re intriguing. The guy I bought the DIVCO from had one and tried selling it to me for about the same price that one is asking for. I don’t know which is better for me, one multi tool like that or my current system of individual power tools stored on shelves. I tried the radial arm saw for a while, but way too inconvient to set up for most jobs.

I’m planning to acquire a three car garage in McKinney in a year or two, I might want one in the third garage. Maybe by then he’ll come down in price.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle