ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Companion pipes video

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:00 pm

Beautiful video on pipe making.

https://vimeo.com/150292913

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Last edited by ReverendThom on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Re: Companion pipes video

Post by MrPiper » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:11 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:54 pm

MrPiper wrote:Great video. Thank you for posting it.
All of a sudden it clicked with my wife and she understood why I enjoy both smoking and trying to make pipes so much :)
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Cool video.

I'm jealous of all the room he has in his shop.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:57 am

I saw this a week or so ago. I thought it was too hipster to post. I first thought it a parody - seriously I did - before I realized it was for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:31 am

FredS wrote:I saw this a week or so ago. I thought it was too hipster to post. I first thought it a parody - seriously I did - before I realized it was for real.

Please tell me this is a parody.

I make artisanal firewood everytime I screw something up on the lathe.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Yes of course it's parody. But it's so close to the real hipstersexual handmade furniture-beer-coffee-sweater-brick oven pizza videos that it's hard to tell. That's what I thought about the pipe video when I saw it a while ago. I thought since pipe smoking was an out-of-fashion white guy thing the pipe video was a parody too.

I hate it when my hobbies are hijacked by youngsters. It happened to fly tying a few years ago when girls started putting feathers in their hair. The price of hackles shot through the roof and they were even hard find for a while there. I don't blame the suppliers - if you can sell you product for 10 times it's normal price due to a fad you better sell all you can while it's hot. One supplier that I know of didn't post their very best feathers on the net but held them in reserve and sent back channel emails to their fly tying customers advising what was in stock.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Companion pipes video

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:26 pm

JimVH wrote:
FredS wrote:I saw this a week or so ago. I thought it was too hipster to post. I first thought it a parody - seriously I did - before I realized it was for real.

Please tell me this is a parody.

I make artisanal firewood everytime I screw something up on the lathe.
I missed this! Isn't that great? This is That is a weekly radio show up here. Kind of like The Onion. Really gets a lot of people because it's in the national broadcaster, CBC, though. Listening to the call in reactions are the best.

e.g. Symphony of Fury (a little shot at hockey parents) http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/neil ... -1.3283147

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:09 pm

More power to the guy for loving pipe making, but I've never heard of him or seen his pipes.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:28 pm

Joshoowah wrote:More power to the guy for loving pipe making, but I've never heard of him or seen his pipes.
Now you have!

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:31 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:More power to the guy for loving pipe making, but I've never heard of him or seen his pipes.
Now you have!

Doubt I'll hear of him ever again.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Companion pipes video

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Now you have!

Doubt I'll hear of him ever again.
Lol ouch

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:31 am

I talked to Jesse ( the guy in the pipe vid) on the phone a few years ago. He's a good guy. We actually did a trade. I sent him a pipe and he made for me drawers for a wineador. He did an incredible job on the drawers.

I didn't know he was so active making pipes. Good for him. Cool video.

In other news, I'm disappointed I can't get some of that firewood. 8)

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:23 am

Tyler wrote:I talked to Jesse ( the guy in the pipe vid) on the phone a few years ago. He's a good guy. We actually did a trade. I sent him a pipe and he made for me drawers for a wineador. He did an incredible job on the drawers.

I didn't know he was so active making pipes. Good for him. Cool video.

In other news, I'm disappointed I can't get some of that firewood. 8)
You post far too less.

On a side note, his furniture is easier to find on the net than his pipes. He does some nice work on that front.

ImageImage

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:54 am

Cracked me up! Captured the whole "artisanal pretentiousness" really well.
Has anyone watched "Portlandia"? It's sort of like this.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:16 am

Okay . . .

Couldn't help myself.
I went to the Companion Pipes website and found this on the homepage :

"In 1929, when he was just thirty years old, Belgian surrealist painter Rene Magritte produced one of his most controversial paintings, The Treachery of Images. The simple oil on canvas painting presents the image of a traditional, half-bent billiard pipe on a flat background. Underneath the image are the words, Ceci n’est pas une pipe, scrawled in elegant cursive. The words translate pretty directly into English as: This is not a pipe.

"What Magritte was trying to do with the Treachery of Images was make a distinction between looking at a painting of a pipe and the reality of holding a pipe in your hand. While talking to Jesse O’Hara about his pipemaking, for some reason, Magritte’s painting kept coming to mind.

"What Jesse does with a small hunk of briar is not just pipemaking. And the objects created during his process are not just pipes. They are labors of passion, feats of technical skill and tiny marvels of artistic vision. Each pipe is a part of himself that he wants to share with those who also find passion in pipes. If that sounds a little sentimental, a little romanticized, we have no problem telling you with a straight face it is absolutely true. "

It's the gift that keeps on giving.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Post by johara34 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 am

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum here. A friend of mine keyed me in to your existence, and I'm so very happy to have found this place. What a wonderful idea to tie together these specific life elements...I look forward to many good conversations here.

So, I had to chuckle as I read this particular thread, as I happen to be the guy in the pipe making video. I'm glad that some of you enjoyed it and that some of you found elements of it hilarious, because those were my reactions to seeing it as well. By way of a short explanation, and in order to attempt to reclaim your first impression of me from the video, I should tell you that though I'm in the video, I didn't have much to do with it.

I started making pipes quietly a few years ago (Tyler, if you're reading this, thank you for those initial conversations...they were invaluable in both their content and encouragement), mostly for myself and friends as a way to learn and practice the craft. One of those pipes went to friend of a friend who happened to be tossing around the idea of opening a high end men's boutique in my city of residence. One thing led to another, and I agreed to produce small batches of pipes for them.

When their store opened, they asked if they could come to my shop to shoot a promotional video about the pipemaking process, as they believed (I think correctly) that their clients would find it interesting, and would impart perceived value on a handmade product.

All that is to say, the hipsterotica video that came out of that (and the, shall we say, slightly over dramatic write up) about myself and my pipes is absolutely perfect for the crowd they are selling to, but it's not really my style.

So, if you would kindly allow me to reintroduce myself here, then I would say that I'm a man of deep faith and conviction who has been blessed beyond measure with a great family, and the ability to pursue a passion for woodworking that grows each time I step into my shop. I'm just a dude...and I make pipes and furniture...and I love every second of it.

If all goes well, maybe you WILL hear about me again. But don't expect it too soon. For the most part, I'm still quietly making small batches of pipes and refining my process and skills. And these days, you're just as likely to find me doing artisanal diaper changes for my kids as you are to find me making dust in my shop. And you know what, that's just fine by me...

Best to all,
Jesse
If I were to preach a sermon about Balaam it would be entitled, "The Man Who Was Rebuked by His Own Ass."

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:05 am

Welcome Jesse. And thanks for understanding our pokes at the *hipsterotica video.

*hipsterotica - Did you coin that phrase? It's perfect.

Here's one my friend Doug made for some sort of deal at church. A mashup of modern dance and traditional woodworking.
https://vimeo.com/180475884

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 am

Huh. I haven't been to Lancaster in years. Decent, hardworking cheesemongers and purveyors of quilts and clear oak furniture, as I recall. I'm astounded by that video and the concept of that sort of shop there.

Welcome, Jesse. I'll put away the pitchfork and flaming torch for now. Hipster erotica is brilliant.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:05 am
Welcome Jesse. And thanks for understanding our pokes at the *hipsterotica video.

*hipsterotica - Did you coin that phrase? It's perfect.

Here's one my friend Doug made for some sort of deal at church. A mashup of modern dance and traditional woodworking.
https://vimeo.com/180475884
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ip9x-HlBsZY
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.