Companion pipes video

All about pipe making
johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Re: Companion pipes video

Post by johara34 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks, fellas. I claim no responsibility whatsoever for the quality of the video, other than the ruggedly handsome subject matter, of course ;) The guys who put the video together did a really nice job and it suits the purposes for which they created it perfectly.

I'll tell you one thing, having no experience whatsoever in the film world, witnessing firsthand just how much work it takes to put together even a short video was kind of amazing. Just like with any other kind of craft, a well made finished product is a deception...as if it just appeared fully realized. I suppose pipes are no different now that I think about it. The best ones utilize grain and lines in such a way that it looks as though the pipe was excavated from the ground that way.

Whoa, I got deeper than I intended to there. Apologies...I'll try not to let it happen again. Let's get this train back on track...boogers, poop, toilet. Ah, now I feel better.
If I were to preach a sermon about Balaam it would be entitled, "The Man Who Was Rebuked by His Own Ass."

johara34
Congregation
Congregation

Post by johara34 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:06 pm
Welcome! I look forward to seeing some of your work posted on the forum; if you feel inclined to do so. I love seeing other maker's pipes! It keeps me pressing on through all of my beginner oopsies and AH :poop:'s.
I sure will at some point. Pushing through all of the early stages of neurological flatulence is the only way to get on the straight and narrow. It's the screw ups when you've gotten to the point of knowing better that really hurt.
If I were to preach a sermon about Balaam it would be entitled, "The Man Who Was Rebuked by His Own Ass."

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:52 pm

johara34 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm
. . . Pushing through all of the early stages of neurological flatulence is the only way to get on the straight and narrow. It's the screw ups when you've gotten to the point of knowing better that really hurt.
Click this > The secret to being a great artist.
"The more you immerse yourself in great art, the more you get a taste for great art. The more you get a taste for great art, the more you realize how much your art is NOT great."
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:09 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:52 pm
johara34 wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm
. . . Pushing through all of the early stages of neurological flatulence is the only way to get on the straight and narrow. It's the screw ups when you've gotten to the point of knowing better that really hurt.
Click this > The secret to being a great artist.
"The more you immerse yourself in great art, the more you get a taste for great art. The more you get a taste for great art, the more you realize how much your art is NOT great."
The Chicago show did that for me this year. Last year I left saying, "I can do that." This year I left saying, "I have a long road ahead." The great thing about art is that people's tastes are so diversified. What I would walk past as "ugly" the next guy in line will pick up and after much praise and admiration buy it. I wouldn't hang a Picasso in my house if you gave it to me, but I would hang an Albert Bierstadt (if I could ever afford it). While each new pipe gets better than the last I am still a novice. I'm finding what works and what definitely doesn't. Though I spend lots of time looking at pipes on google I'm trying to focus on my style and tastes rather than try to copy someone else.
I covet the advice of the good pipe makers willing to lend any morsel of experience to a beginner.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis