General Poker (Air passage)

All about pipe making
cbates55
Congregation
Congregation

General Poker (Air passage)

Post by cbates55 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 pm

Here's my question about the above design... Do any of you see any problems in how I have the air passage place between the chamber bottom and the shank?

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Re: General Poker (Air passage)

Post by JMG » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:33 pm

If I am looking at that correctly, it looks like you have a pretty large gap between the end of your tenon and your mortise wall. This will become a big moisture trap and you will hear a lot of gurgling. Unless you are going to make a legit reverse calabash I think that is a bad call. Also, it looks like you are drilling a 3/4" hole in the bottom of your pipe...???
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

cbates55
Congregation
Congregation

Post by cbates55 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 pm

JMG wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:33 pm
If I am looking at that correctly, it looks like you have a pretty large gap between the end of your tenon and your mortise wall. This will become a big moisture trap and you will hear a lot of gurgling. Unless you are going to make a legit reverse calabash I think that is a bad call. Also, it looks like you are drilling a 3/4" hole in the bottom of your pipe...???
What looks to be a gap really isn't one, it's the metal band around the shank at that point. The reason for the 3/4" hole drilled out is this is a blank MM General cob bowl that is being made into this pipe. So I planed on replacing the original hard wood plug in the bottom so I can slant the bottom of the bowl as shown.

JMG

Post by JMG » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:47 pm

cbates55 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 pm
JMG wrote:
What looks to be a gap really isn't one, it's the metal band around the shank at that point. The reason for the 3/4" hole drilled out is this is a blank MM General cob bowl that is being made into this pipe. So I planed on replacing the original hard wood plug in the bottom so I can slant the bottom of the bowl as shown.
If you are working with a cob then this is out of my area of know-how. Sorry.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

cbates55
Congregation
Congregation

Post by cbates55 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:51 pm

JMG wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:47 pm
cbates55 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 pm
JMG wrote:
If you are working with a cob then this is out of my area of know-how. Sorry.
No problem...

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:09 am

Here's my thought. . .

Give it a try and find out. It's a corn cob pipe FFS, just toss it out and try again if it doesn't work.

My second thought it that the vertical hole in the bottom of the chamber will get clogged with ash or a bit of tobacco and you'll not be able to clear it with a pipe cleaner.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 am

My first thought is its a great name. Like Sgt Slaughter of the Pittsburgh Police SWAT team. Please name your next pipe Col. Bat Guano.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:05 pm

JMG wrote:
What is considered a good gap between tenon and mortise wall? I have pipes in my collection with all kinds of gaps and can't decide what dimension lends to the best smokers.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

cbates55
Congregation
Congregation

Post by cbates55 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 am
My first thought is its a great name. Like Sgt Slaughter of the Pittsburgh Police SWAT team. Please name your next pipe Col. Bat Guano.
Not sure if your poking fun or what.... :?: