Restored Brigham pipe

All about pipe making
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Restored Brigham pipe

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:00 pm

I was given a shoe box of old pipes in rough shape last year. Finally was able to finish restoring one. A Brigham 149. It had no stem but otherwise wasn't it too bad of shape. Reamed it, light sanding, and made a stem.
Went way too thin on the button and need to still learn patience on sanding stems.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Restored Brigham pipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Sweet pipe, Rev!
Nice job.

That's a very nicely shaped stem.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 pm

The stem work looks great! Button schmutton. A short (measured from the end of the stem) thick button does look great on a pipe, but I find a slightly longer thin button, just thick enough and sharp enough to catch a tooth, to be more comfortable. Function over form is usually the best way to go.
The pipes you put that much effort into restoring alway seem to smoke just a little sweeter for some reason. I dare say it's the elbow grease soaked into them.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:50 am

Have you ever used any of these "Micro Mesh" pads? If you don't have a buffing wheel, they work great for polishing all the way to 12,000 grit...

http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdet ... &campaign=
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:24 pm

I would get old micromesh kits from work. People would pull them from stores to blend a scratch out of a window and then throw them away. I'd go dumpster diving and pull them out. I polished many an estate pipe by hand before I broke down and bought a buffing wheel.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Do you have a pic of the original, even if nestled in with others?

That's the old grading system. Shape #49 in a 1-dot. That's what the 149 stamping means. And the stem had a single brass dot on the left side (from the smoker's pov). Price in the early 70's was C$9.95.

I think you made it a pipe again, and it looks nice, but the finish on 1-dot Brighams of that era never looked like that. So I think you refurbished it to become a Thom that had a previous life as a Brigham. Calling it a Restored Brigham is misleading because it simply doesn't look like a Brigham anymore. Brighams had a very specific look and you couldn't walk by one and not recognize it as a Brigham at a glance. Not true anymore.

Call it a Thom.

Just for you... a pic of a few of my Brighams purchased brand new in 1973, but photographed 15 min. ago.

Left Norseman 9W4
Bottom Squat Straight Rhodesian 325
Top Long Shanked Bulldog 667
All three Made in Canada (Toronto).

Note the finish on the pipes. I didn't polish them or anything. I just pulled them out of their socks and placed them outside on my books. They're 44 years old and I haven't had them buffed or anything since the late 70's. Once was too much.
That's what keeping them in their pipe socks and keeping them in the dark will do. That's the original pristine finish on stem and wood. No buffing, no sanding, nothing but smoking ever since. I rest my case. :D
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

That's the old grading system. Shape #49 in a 1-dot. That's what the 149 stamping means. And the stem had a single brass dot on the left side (from the smoker's pov). Price in the early 70's was C$9.95.

I think you made it a pipe again, and it looks nice, but the finish on 1-dot Brighams of that era never looked like that. So I think you refurbished it to become a Thom that had a previous life as a Brigham. Calling it a Restored Brigham is misleading because it simply doesn't look like a Brigham anymore. Brighams had a very specific look and you couldn't walk by one and not recognize it as a Brigham at a glance. Not true anymore.

Call it a Thom.

Just for you... a pic of a few of my Brighams purchased brand new in 1973, but photographed 15 min. ago.

Left Norseman 9W4

Note the finish on the pipes. I didn't polish them or anything. I just pulled them out of their socks and placed them outside on my books. They're 44 years old and I haven't had them buffed or anything since the late 70's. Once was too much.
That's what keeping them in their pipe socks and keeping them in the dark will do. That's the original pristine finish on stem and wood. No buffing, no sanding, nothing but smoking ever since. I rest my case. :D
I was hoping you'd chime in. That's helpful as I'd been searching for a 149 and striking out.

I didn't take pictures before - just some old cake and no stem, so didn't bother.

I love that Rhodesian on the bottom!
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Call it a Thom.

Left Norseman 9W4

Wait: I just remembered ... It's at the bottom of the pic. Looks like you were right about the Brigham pipes :)
Rusty wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:47 pm
ReverendThom wrote:I got wood! Went to Lee Valley and picked up some blanks. As I'm walking out an employee I've talked to a few times says, "Hey, wait right here!" He comes back and gives me a box full of bowls and an unfinished hobby block. Score!

sent from Tapatalk on my phone cuz the computer is way over there
Some of those bowls look uncannily like Brigham Sportsman.... And they look smoked. Did you light up before hitting the cash register?
We want an inventory list.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm

These 3 are also marked Brigham and made in Canada, but no numbersImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 am

I think Rev may soon be an artisan pipe maker.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 am
If he starts throwing stummels out in the snow you know whom I'm going to blame, right?
ReverendThom wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm
I love that Rhodesian on the bottom!
That one stood out because the stain on the rusticated part is odd. I liked the shape but the motivation for buying it was the unique (AFAIK) stain colour combination. The others on display, in the same shape, were the usual stains. I'm not sure whether it was a mistake or what? Brigham usually used a warm black stain over orange or red but on that it is definitely a mid-brown stain.

You would have been blown away by the size and prevalence of Brigham pipe displays in Canadian tobacconists in the 70's. There were walls of them. All the department stores had pretty good tobacco departments also with big Brigham displays. This and their good prices were why they dominated the Canadian pipe market.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 am
If he starts throwing stummels out in the snow you know whom I'm going to blame, right?
Only the plenteous Arizona sunshine can speed dry/ sweeten a stummel.