Meerschaum Liners

All about pipe making
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Meerschaum Liners

Post by joegoat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 am

I had an idea for a pipe the other day that, if it works out should be stunning and very unique. The execution will be tedious, but possible. It involves the use of a meerschaum liner. I found some liners made of pressed meerschaum and bought several because I can see a high rate of failure as I learn by experience. They are shaped, but not drilled. My question is, how are meerschaum lined pipes executed? I would assume the chamber is drilled after the meerschaum is in the stummel so it is supported, but is it soaked in water as it is for carving? Is pressed meerschaum more or less durable than block meerschaum? Any input on meerschaum will be helpful.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Meerschaum Liners

Post by UncleBob » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r5mAx2DjL0

All that carving waste in the video can be pressed meerschaum. It is soaked in water, pressed into whatever form, dried/cured, and voilà!
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am

How about posting a pic of the liners you have?

I was always very curious and suspicious about meerschaum lined briar pipes. I imagined that they smoked a bit like meerschaums but were as rugged as briar. However, we had African meerschaum pipes which were as rugged as briar pipes and smoked just like any other meerschaum. African meerschaum had probably been around for quite a while but it really took off when Turkey forbid raw meerschaum block export in the 70's. So I bought those rather than meerschaum lined pipes. I have no idea how the meerschaum lined pipes were made. I wondered but I never saw any answers. Vauen still makes them so you might ask them.

I do have a couple of pressed meerschaum pipes. The pressed meer calabash gourd pipes were plentiful and very inexpensive so I have one of those. And I also have a pressed meerschaum pipe. By comparison with block Turkish meer they're more resilient. They tend to gouge rather than crack with dents and bangs. I think they use a glue as a binder in pressed meerschaum.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:04 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am
How about posting a pic of the liners you have?

I was always very curious and suspicious about meerschaum lined briar pipes. I imagined that they smoked a bit like meerschaums but were as rugged as briar. However, we had African meerschaum pipes which were as rugged as briar pipes and smoked just like any other meerschaum. African meerschaum had probably been around for quite a while but it really took off when Turkey forbid raw meerschaum block export in the 70's. So I bought those rather than meerschaum lined pipes. I have no idea how the meerschaum lined pipes were made. I wondered but I never saw any answers. Vauen still makes them so you might ask them.

I do have a couple of pressed meerschaum pipes. The pressed meer calabash gourd pipes were plentiful and very inexpensive so I have one of those. And I also have a pressed meerschaum pipe. By comparison with block Turkish meer they're more resilient. They tend to gouge rather than crack with dents and bangs. I think they use a glue as a binder in pressed meerschaum.
This is the stock photo from the supplier. I did mention planning to lose a few, but this would be overkill, even for the streak of bad luck that usually looms over my head.
I've always heard some kind of glue is used when meer is pressed. I have two block meer's. One is a a basic, smooth bent billiard and the other is a gorgeous eagle claw (dream pipe from Mrs. Joegoat). I own one of the Pioneer calabash pipes with pressed meer for the bowl and a Pioneer poker that I'm fairly certain is pressed as well. The only difference in smoking qualities that I can detect are due to dimensional difference and unique design of the calabash.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis