Pipe Making Supplied

All about pipe making
ryland
More of this
More of this

Pipe Making Supplied

Post by ryland » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Where do you get your supplies from? Specifically, Is there a place to get preformed stems in bulk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: Pipe Making Supplied

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 am

Vermont freehand. Best place hands down

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:55 am

Vermont Freehand is virtually the only supplier left in the US. It's run by a good guy with everything you need.

J.H.Lowe may or may not still be in business. Their website has always been horribly difficult to use and I just looked there and most of the site is blank. It's run by Tim West and his phone number is listed so you could try calling him.

Of course you can also find stuff on ebay.

What type and how many stems are you looking for?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm going to try to carve three straight pipes this spring and prefer not to worry about the stem. I've shaped with a kit before and thought it went pretty well. I'm looking for three round stems. I looked up Vermont and it looks like they don't sell preshaped stems since they sell the tenon tool? I'll check ebay.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:31 pm

The only true 'pre-shaped' stems I've ever seen for sale are for c0B's. Everything else has to be machined and made to fit by the pipe maker. The problem is that your 5/16" drill bit in your drill press or lathe won't make the same sized hole as my 5/16" drill bit in my drill press or lathe. Even different drill bits in the same machine might make different holes. Seriously, the holes will vary by a few thousandths of an inch and that's enough to make a stem too loose or tight. The variable is the hole (mortise) diameter so you make the hole first and then turn the tenon on the stem to match.

I used to have one of those tenon turners and It worked supremely well. I could hold tolerances of +/-.001" easy, but I used to be a machinist and I know how to work around the backlash that is inherent in any adjustable tool. Unfortunately I gave it to someone here a few years ago.

Why not buy three more kits with stems already fit?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:14 pm

http://vermontfreehand.com/stems/

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:16 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:14 pm

Yes but these are still unfinished stems (at least with the vulcanite. Haven't purchased any bakelite or acrylic)
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:48 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:16 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:14 pm

Yes but these are still unfinished stems (at least with the vulcanite. Haven't purchased any bakelite or acrylic)
Well, you're going to want to sand them on your pipe anyways so that everything is truly flush. No? They're pre-shaped/formed like he wants . . . or am I confused at what's being asked for? That would not be surprising. :lol:

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:20 pm

I get the impression that ryland is looking for a stem that doesn't require additional work. One that has a finished tenon and sharp & square shoulder. He wrote that he looked at the ones at VFH and they aren't what he wants.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:29 pm

FredS wrote:I get the impression that ryland is looking for a stem that doesn't require additional work. One that has a finished tenon and sharp & square shoulder. He wrote that he looked at the ones at VFH and they aren't what he wants.
Ah. I thought he didn't see any stems at all.

I was a little surprised when I got my first stems from VF. I thought they'd be completely finished, but grew to like them quickly. They're 1000 times better than my stems will likely ever be.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 pm

I don't have the tools to cut the tenon on a stem. I think I can handle everything else.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 pm

I didn't realize they don't machine the tenons anymore. Sorry, I think I'm all caught up now.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Because tenons are different sizes, you won't likely find any with the tenon preturned unless they are already attached to a block of briar a la kit.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne