Our journey to better health through better eats

Want to share something posted on your blog, or the fact that you have a blog? Here's one for the bloggers.
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Our journey to better health through better eats

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:30 pm

As has been much discussed, our family has radically re-defined how we eat over the last year and half. We constantly get questions about it as more and more people are figuring out that their diets are unhealthy. So we've become "those people." The people we always used shake our heads at and chuckle at and tell them they take life too seriously. Interestingly enough we're also lighter and healthier in every way...

At any rate, Mrs. Gabriel started trying document our experiences in response to all the questions we've gotten. She ended starting a blog about it:

healthyeatsforus: our journey to better health thru better eats

If you're at all interested in food and health, or just our family's journey, stop by and check it out! She's posting a new post every few days.
Sola Deo Gloria

StatHaldol
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by StatHaldol » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Good advice! I'm 50 lbs lighter than I was this time last year. I've tried to eat healthier and become more active.

MyFitnessPal.com has helped me keep up with calories. My wife gave me a FitBit One 14 months ago and it's motivated me to become more active. It keeps up with the number of steps I make each day and I have a goal of taking more steps each day.

I work 7pm-7am and I found myself eating a lot of junk at work. I usually have a 20-something student working with me and that doesn't help.

He can eat a 12 inch "Sweep the Kitchen" pizza, cinnamon rolls and Twinkies all night...I cant :cry:
"Twas much, that man was made like God before, but that God should be made like man, much more". John Donne

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:56 pm

So.... Can I still motorcycle down to Flatland for a barbecue this summer?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

mrs_gabriel
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by mrs_gabriel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Del wrote:So.... Can I still motorcycle down to Flatland for a barbecue this summer?
you bet! we still eat :D , just differently.

you like quinoa burgers, right? :wink:

sleepinggecko
Pastor
Pastor

Post by sleepinggecko » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:03 pm

I saw the FB link the other day, just caught up on the new posts. Interesting stuff! This sort of writing on food habits is up there as some of my favorite non-fiction reading, and having a personal (internet) connection to the creators of the content is pretty cool!

Congrats on the progress along the journey, to the whole family!
Please pardon any typos...I probably typed this message one-handed while holding a baby.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:11 pm

mrs_gabriel wrote:
Del wrote:So.... Can I still motorcycle down to Flatland for a barbecue this summer?
you bet! we still eat :D , just differently.

you like quinoa burgers, right? :wink:
Del, don't pretend, NO ONE actually likes quinoa burgers. We still do the occasional BBQ with real meat. Just not as often as we used to. :)
Sola Deo Gloria

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:17 pm

Forsaking the MidWest "hot and brown and plenty of it"? Congratulations! Quinoa is tasty. :)

Ethell
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Ethell » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:33 am

What a great blog! Wow, it's like I'm reading about our family. Mrs. Gabe, you and my wife would just hit it off so well! It's like reading about our life over the last 5 years, including the lard rendering from pastured hogs!

So we've pretty well ended up with this same diet. Tons of symptoms from every member of the family have disappeared including symptoms we didn't realize were symptoms.

We were really attacking some issues in my wife's health and a couple of our children and we all ended up seeing changes that we didn't know were explained by inflammation, grains, bad fats, etc.

Now we raise as much of our own meat (chicken and beef) as possible and buy the rest from local, grass-based farms and we eat a TON of fat (coconut oil, EVOO, tallow, etc.). My 15 year old daughter LOVES what it has done to her skin. She was always a beanpole, but had lots of skin issues which stay pretty well in check with healthy oils and avoidance of grains (and potatoes :( ).

Thanks for putting the blog together. I look forward to sharing it with Mrs. Ethell later today.

All the best,
Ethell

mrs_gabriel
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by mrs_gabriel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:41 am

thanks for the encouragement, everyone! it has been a really good journey for us and having fun sharing it. it's awesome to know that the diet we landed on has been tried by others too, since it's such a mish mash of different thoughts. :) i have always had skin problems too! found out it's completely dairy related- who knew??

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 am

Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

If you haven't been following Mrs. Gabriel's blog, today would be a good time to jog on over! Today's post is a practical "how to get going on your new diet" sort of post. Written for those folks that want practical "how to" type direction.

Check it out!

healthyeatsforus - Implementation: A “How To”
Sola Deo Gloria