Blog: The Catholic Gentleman

Want to share something posted on your blog, or the fact that you have a blog? Here's one for the bloggers.
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Blog: The Catholic Gentleman

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:My face is prepared. How's yours?
It has been predestined for beardness. In fact, the Beard has shown us the nature of manly beardness:

T - Total coverage of lip
U - Unconditioned beard hair
L - Limited trimming
I - Irresistible to the ladies
P - Perseverance of the beard
Uncomfortable with predestined beards. You near Catholic beard balm, pronto.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:57 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
It has been predestined for beardness. In fact, the Beard has shown us the nature of manly beardness:

L - Limited trimming
Hmm.. this puts that parody song "Pour Your Catholic on Me" in a rather different light.

:cheese:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Del wrote:
This is Sam Guzman:
I'll put any money on it - hogleg has never taken a photo like this.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:08 pm

Onyx wrote:
Del wrote:
This is Sam Guzman:
I'll put any money on it - hogleg has never taken a photo like this.
For all we know, that IS hog leg.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:26 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

L - Limited trimming
Hmm.. this puts that parody song "Pour Your Catholic on Me" in a rather different light.

You mentioned a predestined beard. I suggested Catholic beard balm. You are uninterested in a small experiment to see if your beard swims the Tiber? Not even a little curious to see if it truly is a miracle product? Don't worry, you could always argue it to death later if your beard converts.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:51 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

L - Limited trimming

You mentioned a predestined beard. I suggested Catholic beard balm. You are uninterested in a small experiment to see if your beard swims the Tiber? Not even a little curious to see if it truly is a miracle product? Don't worry, you could always argue it to death later if your beard converts.
If my beard converted, I would have argue it to death on principle. Otherwise, I would be my beard's "human" instead of it being MY beard.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

L - Limited trimming

If my beard converted, I would have argue it to death on principle. Otherwise, I would be my beard's "human" instead of it being MY beard.
That's sort of the joke about catholic beard balm, isn't it? How could it possibly work?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:10 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

L - Limited trimming

That's sort of the joke about catholic beard balm, isn't it? How could it possibly work?
No. The joke is that they are selling religion. Its not "Beard Balm" or "Captain Earl's Fancy Pants Beard Tamer" or whatever. They tied religion to it and I usually mock that--no matter what religion it is.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:46 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

L - Limited trimming

No. The joke is that they are selling religion. Its not "Beard Balm" or "Captain Earl's Fancy Pants Beard Tamer" or whatever. They tied religion to it and I usually mock that--no matter what religion it is.
And laughing at the efficacy of a purportedly catholic beard balm and asking if it can convert yout brard is not mocking it's sale as a religious product? Do I look like a tree stump to you?

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:02 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

L - Limited trimming

And laughing at the efficacy of a purportedly catholic beard balm and asking if it can convert yout brard is not mocking it's sale as a religious product? Do I look like a tree stump to you?
Dude. Chill. I think you should read that again. To clarify, I am mocking it--flat out laughing at it--and considering mooning it.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:22 pm

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:No. The joke is that they are selling religion. Its not "Beard Balm" or "Captain Earl's Fancy Pants Beard Tamer" or whatever. They tied religion to it and I usually mock that--no matter what religion it is.
Well, there's certainly nothing intrinsically wrong in preferring one's own in economic transactions. The "Catholic" appellation signifies this, especially when the product adds the additional cultural resonances (e.g. the "incensical" aromas of the beard balm). The Great Sandwich Wars also signify something similar, especially when the sandwich in question is as juicy and as flavorsome as the Original Chicken Sandwich™.

OTOH, the same tendency can also indicate a ghettoization, a retreat from cultural engagement.

This was all so much easier before the artificial dichotomy between Church and State.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:30 pm

http://www.shipoffools.com/gadgets/index.html

BTW--I submitted it for consideration.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:52 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

L - Limited trimming

Dude. Chill. I think you should read that again. To clarify, I am mocking it--flat out laughing at it--and considering mooning it.
I need to use more dancing chilis. I was only setting you up to say "yes, you look like a tree stump." Setting myself up for mockery.

Those sponsors all have me the heebies, if not the jeebies. In an emergency, where a cord was needed, is it kosher to cut a rosary made out of paracord?

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:[quote="hugodrax"]My face is prepared. How's yours?

L - Limited trimming

I need to use more dancing chilis. I was only setting you up to say "yes, you look like a tree stump." Setting myself up for mockery.

Those sponsors all have me the heebies, if not the jeebies. In an emergency, where a cord was needed, is it kosher to cut a rosary made out of paracord?[/quote]

The guy used pipe cleaners to make a field repair to his car. However, a paracord or metal chain rosary would have been even more manly.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:[quote="UncleBob"][quote="hugodrax"]My face is prepared. How's yours?

L - Limited trimming

Those sponsors all have me the heebies, if not the jeebies. In an emergency, where a cord was needed, is it kosher to cut a rosary made out of paracord?[/quote]

The guy used pipe cleaners to make a field repair to his car. However, a paracord or metal chain rosary would have been even more manly.[/quote]

Working as intended.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:28 pm

The guy is young. He thinks "Catholic Beard Oil" is fun. He likes to dress up for no reason. He smokes a pipe. He likes the Latin Mass.

I'm not going to judge him, or his millennial-guy readership, or what they enjoy. When I was his age, I thought I looked pretty cool in a leisure suit.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Del wrote:The guy is young. He thinks "Catholic Beard Oil" is fun. He likes to dress up for no reason. He smokes a pipe. He likes the Latin Mass.

I'm not going to judge him, or his millennial-guy readership, or what they enjoy. When I was his age, I thought I looked pretty cool in a leisure suit.
Was it one of those powder-blue polyester suits? If so, you might want to hold on to it. It'll be back in fashion soon.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Lots of criticism. And it's certainly on target at first glance. Lots of style, not much substance. But he's very young. That is both an inspiration but also a very serious handicap except that I think he's targeting his own generation. Does he come from a well connected political family? That would certainly make a difference in his favour esp. if he has a much older mentor in politics. Does he?

He's facing a very serious challenge in trying to recruit men to Catholicism from his generation. This is the least religious generation ever. And he has made choices about messages that may carry some weight. I don't know if it will really make any difference or why he thinks it will. Who is his audience? But I think you might ask him to take on the Religious Landscape findings from Pew Research and let's see what is behind his choices and how strategy maps to challenge. Did he have any other choices? He could do it here as an experiment. And then polish it for his blog.

That his message has a certain retro appeal that is echoed in the pipe smoking is interesting. Remember pipe smoking did undergo a tremendous revival. I'm not sure that anybody understands why and the mechanics behind it. Christianity could be seen as retro. He's really saying that in the values statements. So it's an interesting campaign.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:38 pm

I only just met Mr. Guzman last Friday. I could be way of....

But it seems to me that he is talking to young people who are already excited about their Catholic faith. We might call it "preaching to the choir" or "The Benedict Option."

But people still need development after that initial decision to take their faith seriously. They need a community to belong to. They need to know that there are other people out there who feel the same way. They want to be part of something bigger.

Pope St. John Paul II asked young people to use the new media to reach out to the world. The Catholic Gentleman is one man's response to that call. He seems to have become a distribution center for many of the leading writers and essayists, on topics of concern to young Catholics.

While the decrease in numbers / increase in fervor are topics that interest the readers of the blog, I don't see how these would change his chosen format. He is not leading a movement; he is reacting to one.

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:41 pm

He's in love.