Blog: The Catholic Gentleman

Want to share something posted on your blog, or the fact that you have a blog? Here's one for the bloggers.
Rusty
In Memoriam

Re: Blog: The Catholic Gentleman

Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:50 pm

Del wrote:I only just met Mr. Guzman last Friday. I could be way of....

But it seems to me that he is talking to young people who are already excited about their Catholic faith. We might call it "preaching to the choir" or "The Benedict Option."

But people still need development after that initial decision to take their faith seriously. They need a community to belong to. They need to know that there are other people out there who feel the same way. They want to be part of something bigger.

Pope St. John Paul II asked young people to use the new media to reach out to the world. The Catholic Gentleman is one man's response to that call. He seems to have become a distribution center for many of the leading writers and essayists, on topics of concern to young Catholics.

While the decrease in numbers / increase in fervor are topics that interest the readers of the blog, I don't see how these would change his chosen format. He is not leading a movement; he is reacting to one.
What movement is he reacting to? I suspect that young folks, like your sons, are cheering him but they're less likely to walk away from their faith. They're living in a Catholic culture. I would guess that simply encouraging people that are already within the fold is nice but there is a much larger picture that is threatening. The size of all faith groups, except the evangelists, are in a downward spiral and his generation has the largest proportion that are unmoved by religion. Their children are very likely to be less involved as has been the trend for every generation before the millennials. Their attitudes are following a trend established long before. For him to shore up the choir is not going to change anything. There is a much more needy mission than that. Surely this is about more than encouraging the existing faithful.

But rather than criticize you should invite him here and let him post his thoughts about these issues and the scope of his mission, if the word applies.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Catholic Beard Balm -- available in classic Catholic scents:
Chrism
The rich aroma of balsam, rose, and 50+ other scents all mix together to remind you daily of your baptismal promises.

Lectio
This blend is a subtle mix of sandalwood, amber, and vanilla to help you focus on making “scents” of scripture.

Franciscan
Our “unscented formula” smells very lightly of cocoa, nuts, and honey from the natural ingredients.

Holy Smoke
Our newest formula combines the aromas of Frankincense, Myrrh, and a touch of wood smoke to evoke the rich smells of incense.

Orthodoxy
We set out to craft a scent as an homage to the great G.K. Chesterton. The result contains light notes of hopps and pipe tobacco.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:04 am

Del wrote:Catholic Beard Balm -- available in classic Catholic scents:
Chrism
The rich aroma of balsam, rose, and 50+ other scents all mix together to remind you daily of your baptismal promises.

Lectio
This blend is a subtle mix of sandalwood, amber, and vanilla to help you focus on making “scents” of scripture.

Franciscan
Our “unscented formula” smells very lightly of cocoa, nuts, and honey from the natural ingredients.

Holy Smoke
Our newest formula combines the aromas of Frankincense, Myrrh, and a touch of wood smoke to evoke the rich smells of incense.

Orthodoxy
We set out to craft a scent as an homage to the great G.K. Chesterton. The result contains light notes of hopps and pipe tobacco.
So he responds with an ad... :? Spam will not advance anything.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:24 am

+JMJ+
Del wrote:Catholic Beard Balm -- available in classic Catholic scents:
Chrism

Lectio

Franciscan

Holy Smoke

Orthodoxy
Those sound like they'd also make nice snuff blends.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:55 am

Rusty wrote:So he responds with an ad... :? Spam will not advance anything.
He lacks your cynicism, Rusty.

The generation nearing retirement was as lukewarm as yesterday's coffee. Their children, in a sad combination of common sense and despair, have wandered away from faith in large numbers. Since it didn't really matter to the lives of their parents, why bother? This is the phenomenon that has captured your imagination.

Young Mr. Guzman and his friends have not noticed.

These young people are part a blooming springtime of new life. They are a phoenix rising. All they know is that their communities of ardent young Catholics are growing fast. Yet they are still small enough to know each other well, and young enough, and energetic. They want to be saints. They marry young, start having kids early, and hope to have many children. Their children play together after Mass. They laugh together.

And being young, they get a kick out of silly things like "Catholic Beard Balm." They don't even care if the rest of the world is too sad to enjoy the joke.

These guys can see a whole spiritual dimension caught up in their beards. They see God in everything.

http://www.catholicgentleman.net/2014/0 ... ven-world/

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:11 am

Del wrote:

The generation nearing retirement was as lukewarm as yesterday's coffee. Their children, in a sad combination of common sense and despair, have wandered away from faith in large numbers. Since it didn't really matter to the lives of their parents, why bother? This is the phenomenon that has captured your imagination.

These young people are part a blooming springtime of new life. They are a phoenix rising. All they know is that their communities of ardent young Catholics are growing fast. Yet they are still small enough to know each other well, and young enough, and energetic. They want to be saints. They marry young, start having kids early, and hope to have many children. Their children play together after Mass. They laugh together.

And being young, they get a kick out of silly things like "Catholic Beard Balm." They don't even care if the rest of the world is too sad to enjoy the joke.

These guys can see a whole spiritual dimension caught up in their beards. They see God in everything.

http://www.catholicgentleman.net/2014/0 ... ven-world/
They see God in everything. Even this?

I remember the hubbub this caused and I thought it was much more funny.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:15 am

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:17 am

The most ridiculous:

http://shipoffools.com/gadgets/fashion/256.html
Martin Luther was very probably wearing socks just like these when he delivered his defiant "Here I stand, I can do no other" speech before Emperor Charles V. His Mum would have made sure of it: "You're not going to see the Emperor without your best socks on."

Which is why it's so appropriate that the town of Wittenberg, where Luther lived, is now selling the Luther Sock, complete with his "Here I stand" speech, which he probably never made, spoilsport scholars say.

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:17 am

Anyhow, these young people do not think like Rusty expects that they should, wringing their hands in anxious worry over how to draw young people back to faith.

Their problem is how to involve all of the young people coming back to faith. These kids need apostolates!

http://www.catholicgentleman.net/2016/0 ... -catholic/

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:14 am

hugodrax wrote:My face is prepared. How's yours?
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:16 am

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:
I had been wondering how many had gotten that.

:cheese:

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 am

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
tuttle wrote:

Two, I'd say. Better than none. That line had a profound effect on me as a kid.

I feel bad starting this one. I was only picking on the sponsors products, not the message of the website.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:34 am

+JMJ+
Del wrote:

In addition, many young people (not limited to Catholics) are very interested in spirituality. They simply reject that Old-Time American Religion.

But as regard to Rusty's implication — that, in this rejection, the youngsters are thereby embracing that titanic project of noble Reason which has stood in opposition to western religion ever since the Enlightenment — well, that dog won't hunt.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:45 am

+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
wosbald wrote:
tuttle wrote:

I feel bad starting this one. I was only picking on the sponsors products, not the message of the website.
I suspect that UB got it, as well.

And don't sweat it. No biggie. Even though, I like the paracord rosaries. They seem both tasteful and sturdy. For outdoorsmen and tradesmen, they seem sweet. If I wasn't a girly-man, I might have use for one.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:55 am

hugodrax wrote:
wosbald wrote:
tuttle wrote:

I suspect that UB got it, as well.

And don't sweat it. No biggie. Even though, I like the paracord rosaries. They seem both tasteful and sturdy. For outdoorsmen and tradesmen, they seem sweet. If I wasn't a girly-man, I might have use for one.
No issues. I have a cheap little pocket rosary ring I carry that might be completely impractical for someone else.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:50 am

Del wrote:

In addition, many young people (not limited to Catholics) are very interested in spirituality. They simply reject that Old-Time American Religion.

But as regard to Rusty's implication — that, in this rejection, the youngsters are thereby embracing that titanic project of noble Reason which has stood in opposition to western religion ever since the Enlightenment — well, that dog won't hunt.
There was not any implication from me as to what is replacing orthodox religion. That isn't my interest in this topic. I think it is worthwhile understanding whether there are common themes in the complaints about organized religion from the recently unaffiliated. The Pew folks are pretty shallow on this so more info is needed. However, the declining spiral in attendees to churches means that each generation is more removed from involvement with the church. They no longer complain because there is nothing to complain about. They are not involved. While I may talk about churches my children never even mention them. That doesn't mean that they're solving differential equations on Sundays. They're not. LOL!

Guzman is engaging in marketing. He's marketing a lifestyle that is largely adherence to Catholic principles. He is recasting it as an appealing modern choice that has benefits of self esteem confidence etc. When the Pope asks people of faith to reach out using the new media it's also marketing. I'm interested in Guzman's marketing plan. All of it. Not to stomp it or discourage him. I have an interest in marketing. Whether he sees his efforts as marketing is not critical.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 pm

Christians were evangelizing, long before capitalism invented marketing.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Del wrote:Christians were evangelizing, long before capitalism invented marketing.
I thought Tetzel invented marketing

:twisted:
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Del wrote:Christians were evangelizing, long before capitalism invented marketing.
Yes, and that's fine but there is Religious Landscape out there that suggests that there is a very serious problem. The usual evangelizing is failing to even retain membership. Guzman may be addressing part of that problem in a new way and it would be great if you would invite him here to post about the landscape and the challenges together with his ideas and plans. There is no hostility in this. Put another way... as you know I'm sick of you and your stick. LOL! It would fascinating to see a different pov. Why not invite him to discuss the landscape and his efforts? We'll be extra-special nice.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Jocose wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Jocose wrote:Does his suit have button holes?
Every suit jacket does, super genius.
Oh yeah? Does he have a suit with no sleeve buttons and no lapel buttonholes?
I doubt that. One would have to have the suit custom made to avoid a lapel buttonhole, and seeing as a lapel buttonhole is a regular--if mostly vestigal--feature on nearly every suit made in the past eighty years, that would be an odd request. Nevertheless, hogleg did it, so it's not impossible.