Blog: The Catholic Gentleman

Want to share something posted on your blog, or the fact that you have a blog? Here's one for the bloggers.
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Re: Blog: The Catholic Gentleman

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:26 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
hugodrax wrote:
wosbald wrote:
tuttle wrote:
hugodrax wrote:My face is prepared. How's yours?
I had been wondering how many had gotten that.

:cheese:
Two, I'd say. Better than none. That line had a profound effect on me as a kid.

I feel bad starting this one. I was only picking on the sponsors products, not the message of the website.
I suspect that UB got it, as well.

And don't sweat it. No biggie. Even though, I like the paracord rosaries. They seem both tasteful and sturdy. For outdoorsmen and tradesmen, they seem sweet. If I wasn't a girly-man, I might have use for one.
You couldn't imagine how many times I have repeated that exact phrase aloud before today.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:35 pm

Rusty wrote:
Del wrote:Christians were evangelizing, long before capitalism invented marketing.
Yes, and that's fine but there is Religious Landscape out there that suggests that there is a very serious problem. The usual evangelizing is failing to even retain membership. Guzman may be addressing part of that problem in a new way and it would be great if you would invite him here to post about the landscape and the challenges together with his ideas and plans. There is no hostility in this. Put another way... as you know I'm sick of you and your stick. LOL! It would fascinating to see a different pov. Why not invite him to discuss the landscape and his efforts? We'll be extra-special nice.
Well... It isn't difficult to read his blog and see the world through his eyes. You can see what interests him.

He is talking to young people who already want what Catholicism has to offer -- holiness, community fellowship, practical spirituality (how to live this faith).

We know that the number of young people seeking and finding is growing. Meanwhile, we also see that the world it turning more hostile against us. That is the "landscape," as you call it.

So there is some tension in the conversation. But we are not afraid: We are Catholic, and this is hardly the first time that the world has turned against us. It really doesn't matter -- we live with the same truth, either way. Maybe we can save the world again. Maybe we can save some. Maybe we have to go underground and struggle to survive.

But for now, we can enjoy the luxury of living our lives of joy out loud. Sam has decided to serve the segment of young Catholics who are discovering their faith with surprise and joy.

He posted this article by a guest-writer. It think it sums up his view of the "landscape" clearly:
http://www.catholicgentleman.net/2016/0 ... -catholic/
Last edited by Del on Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Del wrote:Christians were evangelizing, long before capitalism invented marketing.
That's true. But it seems that we always need yer money, for some reason.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:54 pm

UncleBob wrote:
There is work to do. It takes our time, talent, and treasure.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Yeah. But especially money.

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:25 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "time" and "talent" go hand in hand with "treasure" when it comes to all of those examples
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:29 pm

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "time" and "talent" go hand in hand with "treasure" when it comes to all of those examples
Perhaps. But which kingdom is getting built?

Also, I am not so sure that "volunteers" is the right word for some of those folks that worked on some of that.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:35 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

Perhaps. But which kingdom is getting built?
I don't know if I was making a statement comparing religions, rather I was simply pointing out that time and talent have equal due in respect to treasure regarding such works. You said 'especially money' and posted pictures as if more money was poured into those instead of time and talent. I'm gonna stay on the limb and say they're probably about equal parts. Money (or assumed expense) is just the most visibly obvious to most.

EDIT: maybe I'm lost. what does this have to do with the conversation. I'm looking back from Del's comment, to your comment, to Del's comment, yours, then mine...and I've lost where you're going. Evangelism? Buildings as art? Buildings as waste? Slave labor?
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:42 pm

Del wrote: He posted this article by a guest-writer. It think it sums up his view of the "landscape" clearly:
No, that's evangelizing for Catholicism or marketing in my terminology. We expect that on the blog. But if we were in his war room and he was talking strategy and goals we'd hear another story.

What I'm looking for is his strategic view. By asking him to address the Pew forum landscape article and his take on the piece of the problem that he wants to address we may see more. Focusing on millennials may be exactly the point where change is possible or it might just be his generation ie coincidence. Perhaps he believes that most millennials of any attitude will flock to Catholicism. In which it's only necessary to focus on Catholics; the world of millennials will catch up. Maybe he's just writing a Catholic blog, Maybe. That's not enough to be a saint, imo. There is a serious big problem that is looking for some good people to find a solution. And it's not apparent that anything will change without some real effort addressing the bigger problem. Is he rising to the bigger challenge or is he just bailing his corner of the boat?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Forget it, he's rolling.

I think he doesn't like religious buildings built with slave labor. No argument there, really. Apropos of nothing, of course, but this is CPS.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Oh, I love this conversation! Kudos to those who brought it up in the discussion of an unrelated topic!

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:03 pm

tuttle wrote: I don't know if I was making a statement comparing religions, rather I was simply pointing out that time and talent have equal due in respect to treasure regarding such works. You said 'especially money' and posted pictures as if more money was poured into those instead of time and talent. I'm gonna stay on the limb and say they're probably about equal parts. Money (or assumed expense) is just the most visibly obvious to most.

EDIT: maybe I'm lost. what does this have to do with the conversation. I'm looking back from Del's comment, to your comment, to Del's comment, yours, then mine...and I've lost where you're going. Evangelism? Buildings as art? Buildings as waste? Slave labor?
Del made the point that Christians have been converting long before capitalism. This is true but not really the point nor really honest. Christians have been buying and selling religious ephemera for a long, long time and religion has been an industry wwwwaaaaayyyyyy before capitalism (or Christianity, for that matter). I pointed out that religions sure seem to always need money. Now that can be in the form of money or slave labor or whatever but always seems to effect your salvation. Heck, for a time, indulgences were sold so it even took the more direct route and Prosperity Gospel preachers equate money with God's grace still today.

So Del's statement, while factual, was misleading to the overall conversation. Now I hate the idea of people selling religion, whether it is beard balm or indulgences or prayer cloths from the prayer tower. Doesn't matter. So I mock it because it deserves to be mocked. Doesn't mean the fellow that advertises on this site or the fellow that owns the site are evil or going to hell. They do deserve to be mocked, though.
Last edited by UncleBob on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onyx
Darth Onyx, Bringer of Unity

Post by Onyx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:06 pm

Rusty wrote:
Del wrote: He posted this article by a guest-writer. It think it sums up his view of the "landscape" clearly:
No, that's evangelizing for Catholicism or marketing in my terminology. We expect that on the blog. But if we were in his war room and he was talking strategy and goals we'd hear another story.

What I'm looking for is his strategic view. By asking him to address the Pew forum landscape article and his take on the piece of the problem that he wants to address we may see more. Focusing on millennials may be exactly the point where change is possible or it might just be his generation ie coincidence. Perhaps he believes that most millennials of any attitude will flock to Catholicism. In which it's only necessary to focus on Catholics; the world of millennials will catch up. Maybe he's just writing a Catholic blog, Maybe. That's not enough to be a saint, imo. There is a serious big problem that is looking for some good people to find a solution. And it's not apparent that anything will change without some real effort addressing the bigger problem. Is he rising to the bigger challenge or is he just bailing his corner of the boat?
Rusty, why are you pursuing this? The kid is not a strategist. He's in love. He's not trying to turn around Cathloc fortunes. He's just head over heels for it.
4. No more signatures that quote other CPS members.
-- Thunktank

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:07 pm

+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:This is true but not really the point nor really honest. Christians have been buying and selling religious ephemera for a long, long time …
Incarnation means there's no such thing as ephemera.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:08 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
UncleBob wrote:This is true but not really the point nor really honest. Christians have been buying and selling religious ephemera for a long, long time …
Incarnation means there's no such thing as ephemera.
How many teeth of St Peter have been bought and sold, do you think?

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:10 pm

UncleBob wrote:
tuttle wrote: I don't know if I was making a statement comparing religions, rather I was simply pointing out that time and talent have equal due in respect to treasure regarding such works. You said 'especially money' and posted pictures as if more money was poured into those instead of time and talent. I'm gonna stay on the limb and say they're probably about equal parts. Money (or assumed expense) is just the most visibly obvious to most.

Del made the point that Christians have been converting long before capitalism. This is true but not really the point nor really honest. Christians have been buying and selling religious ephemera for a long, long time and religion has been an industry wwwwaaaaayyyyyy before capitalism (or Christianity, for that matter). I pointed out that religions sure seem to always need money. Now that can be in the form of money or slave labor or whatever but always seems to effect your salvation. Heck, for a time, indulgences were sold so it even took the more direct route and Prosperity Gospel preachers equate money with God's grace still today.

So Del's statement, while factual, was misleading to the overall conversation. Now I hate the idea of people selling religion, whether it is beard balm or indulgences or prayer cloths from the prayer tower. Doesn't matter. So I mock it because it deserves to be mocked. Doesn't mean the fellow that advertises on this site or the fellow that owns the site are evil or going to hell. They do deserve to be mocked, though.
It's an open secret in the rock music scene that many of the top selling Christian bands are not believers at all. But it's a great gig if you want to earn a buck in music.
-- Thunktank

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Onyx wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Rusty, why are you pursuing this? The kid is not a strategist. He's in love. He's not trying to turn around Cathloc fortunes. He's just head over heels for it.
If your opinion is the case then that's fine. I wondered about the same question. Is he just another Catholic blogger?
It costs nothing to ask and I am very definitely fishing. Being wrong doesn't have any impact. We just fail to catch the fish, this time. That's ok. This is one of the great things about a discussion forum.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Onyx

Post by Onyx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Rusty wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Rusty wrote:

If your opinion is the case then that's fine. I wondered about the same question. Is he just another Catholic blogger?
It costs nothing to ask and I am very definitely fishing. Being wrong doesn't have any impact. We just fail to catch the fish, this time. That's ok. This is one of the great things about a discussion forum.
Yeah, cool. Del is excited too, he is also in love - which is a wonderful way to be. It might look a little tedious and predictable to a cynic like me, but I have to acknowledge that it's one of the great states of being.
-- Thunktank

Del

Post by Del » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:33 pm

tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

I don't recognize any of those buildings. The third one looks like a mosque.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Del wrote:
tuttle wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

I don't recognize any of those buildings. The third one looks like a mosque.
Very good! You get a cookie!
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.