Parenting my girls

Where two or more are gathered....
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: Parenting my girls

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:09 pm

2-dot's boyfriend came over to ask me permission to propose to her. I gave him my blessing.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:11 pm

Cool!

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Winton wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:11 pm
Cool!
Yep.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Congrats. Prayers for that young couple!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:51 pm

I'm assuming she said yes.

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:09 pm
2-dot's boyfriend came over to ask me permission to propose to her. I gave him my blessing.
As a dad of three girls, I need details, man. Spill it. What do you think about this guy? Why's he good enough for your girl? Is this the Dot that I sent an arrow to? How did this whole thing go down?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Sweet.
Praying for you all tonight.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 am

Jake wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 pm
Sweet.
Praying for you all tonight.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 am

Yes, what JMG said, details, as the now father of two girls I’m dreading this... granted I’ve got awhile. I’m thinking I’ll use the keep your friends close and enemies closer tactic and befriend every guy they bring through the door, how did you handle it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:34 am

Congratulations...it is a wonderful and dreadful and wonderful...Praying
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 am

JMG wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 pm
John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:09 pm
As a dad of three girls, I need details, man. Spill it. What do you think about this guy? Why's he good enough for your girl? Is this the Dot that I sent an arrow to? How did this whole thing go down?
JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 am
Yes, what JMG said, details, as the now father of two girls I’m dreading this... granted I’ve got awhile. I’m thinking I’ll use the keep your friends close and enemies closer tactic and befriend every guy they bring through the door, how did you handle it?
1-dot has the arrow. She's heading out this weekend to Greece to work with Syrian refugees... but that's another prayer request. This is 2-dot.

I think the guy is a good guy. We've known him for a number of years. We've also known that this was coming. 2-dot has shared that her/their plan is to move towards marriage. A few months ago the guy texted me and asked to drop by a little early, even though 2-dot wasn't home yet. They were going to be going to dinner and he was close to our place and didn't make sense for him to go home and come back. I thought sure he was going to ask me then. I cleaned up the place, put on clean clothes... turns out he was just coming over early. Though it's possible that he chickened out. Anyway. He scheduled this meeting about a week ago. He made it for a night he knew 2-dot was at a concert and gone for the evening. He also asked that I not tell 2-dot about the meeting because he wanted it to be a surprise. So this time I knew for sure.

He came over last night and after 1-dot and JackJack made themselves scarce he expressed he love for 2-dot and his desire to marry her. He talked a little about their faith and their shared desire to marry. My intent was to encourage him and bless him rather than make him suffer or have to prove himself, so my first response was yes, he had my and my wife's persmission. Our approach has been to talk openly and honestly about all this ahead of time, so there's no big surprises when nights like this come. I shared with him how when 2-dot was little there were times when for a variety of reasons she would throw a fit and be unconsolable. I remember some road trips as a family where I would sit in the back of the mini-van and just hold her until she calmed down. I told him that I'd already seen him providing that care for her now. See the car accident on page 1 of this thread. So I told him I respected him for including me and my wife and could see his love for the Lord and his love for 2-dot and was excited for their life to come. Then we talked about practical stuff about their plans, but not as hurdles for me to agree, just more about sharing what was going on.

I guess this is the best case scenario. We know and respect him. He loves the Lord. His family loves the Lord. They've welcomed 2-dot into their family. The guy is comfortable being with us and being a part of our family. He's not the kind of guy that seems to be taking my daughter away from her family. Etc. Etc.

I still feel pretty sad.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:55 am

he loves the Lord and loves your daughter. Praise be to God for his many blessings.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Congrats I guess.

This thread hits home for me. My 16 year old started bringing "the boy" around several months ago. He's a good kid and he and his family go to our church. That being said, I try to be the scary dad but it just doesn't work because I like him and he's stuck around despite my scary dad tactics. I suppose we will see. I really dislike this part of being a dad of daughters. I'm dreading the day a boy asks if he can marry my daughters. It's a great sign for you and your daughter that he asked your permission.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Oh gosh, just thinking about this makes me a little teary eyed, I can’t imagine, but you are lucky, seems like a nice guy! I pray for my two regularly even though we are a long way off, I know the day will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Being the scary dad just makes you a dick and neither your daughter or her boyfriend will be honest with you for long if you take that route. They just go on the down low and that's never a good thing. You can't pick who they love but you can be a good model and pray she holds out for a good dude.

Praying for the young couple.
Last edited by FredS on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JMG

Post by JMG » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 am
I guess this is the best case scenario. We know and respect him. He loves the Lord. His family loves the Lord. They've welcomed 2-dot into their family. The guy is comfortable being with us and being a part of our family. He's not the kind of guy that seems to be taking my daughter away from her family. Etc. Etc.

I still feel pretty sad.
Happy...and sad...for and with you.

Winton

Post by Winton » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 pm

My nephew recently started dating a girl. When he went to her house, her father was cleaning his gun. My nephew started asking questions about cleaning the gun and other details then he asked when he could go with the father to learn how to shoot. I think that was a good response.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

God bless and may He complete it.

You could have made him sweat a little, maybe just paused for a minute before replying. Things are/were little more formal for us cultural since both our fathers are very traditional; so my family went to hers for dinner to formally request that Mrs. Thoth be my bride. So my dad makes a request with lots of praise for Mrs. Thoth. Her dad then sat silent for what seemed an eternity but probably not more than 30 seconds, maybe a minute at most before replying, he was just thinking of an equally nice response. But at that time I literally broke out in a sweat and looked across the room at my wife with confusion and perhaps a little panic.

My daughter is barely 2 and I already had to deal with boyfriend issues. I can only imagine it will get worse...
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

JMG

Post by JMG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:56 am

Thoth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm
My daughter is barely 2 and I already had to deal with boyfriend issues. I can only imagine it will get worse...

I'd straight kill a kid. (I edited this commit.)

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 am

Praying
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS