Never had a corndog taco shake

Re: Parenting my girls

Post by Thoth » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am

JMG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:56 am
Thoth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm
My daughter is barely 2 and I already had to deal with boyfriend issues. I can only imagine it will get worse...

I'd straight kill a kid. (I edited this commit.)
It is frowned upon at the daycare to punt a kid. Though the teachers saw the look on my face when the little punk ran up to my daughter and trying to kiss her, they mentioned it to my wife amused. Plus it really didn't help he has two mommies.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:05 am

Thoth wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am
JMG wrote:
Thoth wrote:
My daughter is barely 2 and I already had to deal with boyfriend issues. I can only imagine it will get worse...

It is frowned upon at the daycare to punt a kid. Though the teachers saw the look on my face when the little punk ran up to my daughter and trying to kiss her, they mentioned it to my wife amused. Plus it really didn't help he has two mommies.
Punt away, my friend.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 pm

JMG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:05 am
Thoth wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:01 am
JMG wrote:
Thoth wrote:

Punt away, my friend.
Or a good stiff arm to the forehead as you pick up your daughter and run would work too.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm

You guys seem to forget that Thoth lives in the real world. You know, where beating up a 2 year old kid is wrong. What in the world will you suggest he do when one of the little tikes bites his daughter? Or some of the girls exclude her from their games? Or she gets a bad grade from a lousy teacher? Or someone steals her lunch money? Or she gets hit by a pitch during a softball game? Or she gets dumped by a boy? Or she gets scolded by her boss at McDonalds? Or she's not accepted in to her preferred university?

Praying anew for J-B and the Dots.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 pm
You guys seem to forget that Thoth lives in the real world. You know, where beating up a 2 year old kid is wrong. What in the world will you suggest he do when one of the little tikes bites his daughter? Or some of the girls exclude her from their games? Or she gets a bad grade from a lousy teacher? Or someone steals her lunch money? Or she gets hit by a pitch during a softball game? Or she gets dumped by a boy? Or she gets scolded by her boss at McDonalds? Or she's not accepted in to her preferred university?

How I feel about something notwithstanding, hope to raise my daughter (and son) to be wise enough, tough enough, and resilient enough to deal with whatever life throws at her. For those God willing rare occasions she's not, we've got her back. (and I can make things look like an accident :twisted: )
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

JMG

Post by JMG » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 am

Thoth wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 am
FredS wrote:

How I feel about something notwithstanding, hope to raise my daughter (and son) to be wise enough, tough enough, and resilient enough to deal with whatever life throws at her. For those God willing rare occasions she's not, we've got her back. (and I can make things look like an accident :twisted: )
I may or may not have many firearms. Firearms not exactly registered. If I did happen to have such a firearm (strictly hypothetically) you would be welcomed to borrow them.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:19 am

JMG wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:27 am
Thoth wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 am
FredS wrote:

I may or may not have many firearms. Firearms not exactly registered. If I did happen to have such a firearm (strictly hypothetically) you would be welcomed to borrow them.
There's a deep, slow moving spot in the river I know. Legend has it that's where the big gators feed. They don't leave much behind.

Just sayin'.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 am

FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm
Being the scary dad just makes you a dick and neither your daughter or her boyfriend will be honest with you for long if you take that route. They just go on the down low and that's never a good thing. You can't pick who they love but you can be a good model and pray she holds out for a good dude.

Praying for the young couple.
I'm willing to be a dick if it keeps some ill intentioned boys away from my daughters. While they may roll their eyes and screech, "Daaaaaaaaad!" it's important that our daughters know we love them enough to want to protect them from ill intentioned boys. Whether we actually accomplish this is moot and probably unlikely anyway or at least the efforts net minimal results. I get that. Regardless, it's an important dad role, IMHO. My middle daughter tells me that some of the boys in her class don't bother her/tease her because they are afraid of me. When Abby (my oldest) told us she had a boyfriend, I jokingly told her I was going to knock him off our front porch when he came over and that, if he got back up and still wanted to date her, I'd let him. I was joking, of course, but she nor he knew that. It drove home the point that he will have to deal with me if he ever hurts her. That's a good thing for him to have in the back of his mind when interacting with her. Call me a dick or a neanderthal but the scary dad tactic seems to be relatively effective if you ask me. I'm not afraid to be a man and I refuse to let society convince me being so is a bad thing and I won't let you either.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 am

I see now. All the blustery talk on this page is just talk. To put 'the fear of god' in our daughters and those who may harm them. I suppose that's fine, but please don't be so naive to think that your children and their friends are stupid enough to think you'll actually punt, punch, or shoot them or feed them to the gators. (Well, maybe the punching part would be valid if it were really necessary.) They'll understand the hyperbole. But perhaps, it's more realistic to set a conservative age for dating, insist on meeting every boyfriend, set curfews, wait up every night 'till they get home so they and the boys know you're paying attention, ask questions every day, stay involved, have their back when bad things happen, and treat their mother with utmost respect. They'll get it. Keep them safe in the little things and they know you'll keep them safe in the big things when they go wrong.

Praying for the daughters of CPS.

(I have a story about Daughter #1 and an ill intentioned boy I might share sometime. Nobody was harmed but the message was sent without hyperbole. It stuck.)
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:56 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 am

...and grand daughters...

Praying now
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:21 am
I see now. All the blustery talk on this page is just talk. To put 'the fear of god' in our daughters and those who may harm them. I suppose that's fine, but please don't be so naive to think that your children and their friends are stupid enough to think you'll actually punt, punch, or shoot them or feed them to the gators. (Well, maybe the punching part would be valid if it were really necessary.) They'll understand the hyperbole. But perhaps, it's more realistic to set a conservative age for dating, insist on meeting every boyfriend, set curfews, wait up every night 'till they get home so they and the boys know you're paying attention, ask questions every day, stay involved, have their back when bad things happen, and treat their mother with utmost respect. They'll get it. Keep them safe in the little things and they know you'll keep them safe in the big things when they go wrong.

(I have a story about Daughter #1 and an ill intentioned boy I might share sometime. Nobody was harmed but the message was sent without hyperbole. It stuck.)
Sure it's all mostly a bluff. But planting the idea that maybe it's not is sometimes enough to keep our children safe. It teaches them to consider consequences. That fear of my parents wrath probably deterred me from doing a lot more stupid things than I did as a child. I think one problem with youth and soft parenting is that our children don't have a healthy fear of their parents wrath should they invoke it. To be clear, my children don't live in fear of me because I balance love, open communication, and, yes, sometimes anger/wrath. To omit that tool entirely as you suggest or to invalidate it is, in my opinion, foolish and bad parenting. YMMV. Sure there's some "beating of chests" going on in this thread but don't be so critical of a vital and natural dad instinct to want to protect their children and especially their daughters. It's okay to outwardly express your manhood, FredS. Don't buy into the feminist BS that manly behavior is all bad. Some of it is perfectly natural.
Wayne Teipen
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am
. . . It's okay to outwardly express your manhood, FredS. Don't buy into the feminist BS that manly behavior is all bad. Some of it is perfectly natural.
So you would beat up the 2 year old at the daycare? :chili:

Praying for John-Boy, the Dots, and 2 year olds everywhere.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:21 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am
. . . It's okay to outwardly express your manhood, FredS. Don't buy into the feminist BS that manly behavior is all bad. Some of it is perfectly natural.
So you would beat up the 2 year old at the daycare? :chili:

Praying for John-Boy, the Dots, and 2 year olds everywhere.
Two year old boys are jerks. :lol:
Wayne Teipen

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:23 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:51 pm
I'm assuming she said yes.
Proposal was this morning. She said yes. :dance: :dance:
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:17 am

:joy:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:20 am

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:23 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:51 pm
I'm assuming she said yes.
Proposal was this morning. She said yes. :dance: :dance:
Very cool. I'll add the bridal finance prayer to the parenting issue, too.

Been. There.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 pm

yeah :taco:

Winton
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll
Frozen Sing-A-Long Elsa Doll

Post by Winton » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:42 pm

Be sure to remind them that there are only four items required to get married, Bride, Groom, someone authorized by the state to marry, and other local requirements by law. Everything else is negotiable. But some things are more negotiable than others.

While planning our wedding, we found out that replacing the wedding cake with a cheesecake and toppings bar was not acceptable.

peter cornbriar
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor
Minister of Cob Questions, Resident Briar Rabbit, Sockpuppet Inquisitor

Post by peter cornbriar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:05 am

John Boy, you may want to consider speaking to your daughter's intended in a neutral place, like a coffee shop/house concerning finances, as in working his ass off,taking 2-3 jobs in order to have a little something to start off.Could have unintended side fx on any unintended spontaneous testosterone flooding,you know what I mean... too tired from working 2-3 jobs to give in to those pre-marital, carnal urges/temptations that can come up.
As a nurse and author of 4 young adult sons,just sayin'...
The glory of God is the nature of God - that God is good.He is unfailingly good.He never changes,He will always be good.God has called us to do what we cannot do,only He can do it.He has called us to live in His faithfulness,He has called us to live in His consistency,that He will come and do all the things that need to be done.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:47 am

Congratulations, JB!
And congratulations to the betrothed couple :joy:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."