Where two or more are gathered....
Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Re: Pray For The Folks In Paradise, CA

Post by Goose55 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:31 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm
The Historic 140 year old Honey Run covered bridge E of Chico was lost to the fire today
The forecast for the area now is for devilish NE winds with gusts up to 50 mph continuing until tomorrow morning. As terrible as the results of this fire are, it could well become much worse.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 am

Pray in the hope that in God’s will it doesn’t.
Pray comfort for those who have lost so much.

I don’t generally post my prayers. Feel very queasy about public prayer.

Admonition from the Lord,

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.”

And the saints,

“The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the right thing for the wrong reason.”

I struggle with this.

But this morning.
This disaster.

This community.
And the wind building again.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:37 am

Four days after the devastation of the town of Paradise and there are still 231 people unaccounted for. 30 bodies--or bones and fragments--have been located. With 6500 homes destroyed it is feared that the number of fatalities will increase dramatically. And this has already become the deadliest fire in California history.

In this image of an incinerated car in Paradise, it appears the aluminum wheels melted in the heat of the fires....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:41 am

Sherrif's Dept has received calls about 1500 people that have not been heard from since last Thursday. That is not good. In addition to 13 coroner-led recovery teams working in the fire zone, 150 search-and-recovery personnel are due to arrive today, Tuesday.

I've got to get myself in to talk to someone because this is hard to shake off. My heart grieves. It feels like all my memories of the place are burned up, too.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:05 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:41 am
Sherrif's Dept has received calls about 1500 people that have not been heard from since last Thursday. That is not good. In addition to 13 coroner-led recovery teams working in the fire zone, 150 search-and-recovery personnel are due to arrive today, Tuesday.

I've got to get myself in to talk to someone because this is hard to shake off. My heart grieves. It feels like all my memories of the place are burned up, too.
I'm sorry to hear that, Goose. I've been praying for the town, of course, but I've been praying for you, too. You've mentioned that your memories are burning, too, and that concerns me. Is the town on fire in your memories? Like if you pictured a street or a place in your mind from when you were there, is that on fire?

I'm going to pray now, Goose. Then I'm going to give you a call.
Anser autem inimica mea, et ego audiam silentio beatus est.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:20 am

Praying
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:05 am
Goose55 wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, Goose. I've been praying for the town, of course, but I've been praying for you, too. You've mentioned that your memories are burning, too, and that concerns me. Is the town on fire in your memories? Like if you pictured a street or a place in your mind from when you were there, is that on fire?

Thank you. It was nice talking with you.

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:27 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:05 am
Goose55 wrote:

Thank you. It was nice talking with you.
Enjoyed it very much, sir. Thanks for taking the time.

Maggie (my cat) sends fraternal greetings to Lucy.
Anser autem inimica mea, et ego audiam silentio beatus est.

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am

It had been thought that 6700 homes & businesses had been destroyed but officials raised the loss of homes to nearly 8,800 Wednesday. Sheriff Kory Honea said the task of recovering remains had become so vast that his office brought in another 287 searchers Wednesday, including National Guard troops, bringing the total number of searchers to 461 plus 22 cadaver dogs. He said a rapid-DNA assessment system was expected to be in place soon to speed up identifications of the dead, though officials have tentatively identified 47 of the 56 so far found in the grizzly aftermath.

"This is one of the worst disasters I've seen in my career, hands down," Brock Long, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told reporters in nearby Chico.

The Paradise Fire also stands as one of the deadliest U.S. wildfires since the turn of the last century. More than 80 people perished in the Big Burn firestorm that swept the northern Rockies in August 1910, incinerating 3 million acres.

Another report I read this morning states that it is not 8800, but 10,300 structures had been destroyed

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am

Tally of missing in California's deadliest blaze surpasses 600 and the number of destroyed structures is now at 12,000.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/crews-search ... nance.html

According to the Associated Press, a PG&E customer who lives near the origin point of the fire reported receipt of an email from PG&E a day before the fire notifying her that power lines near or on her property were having trouble with sparks.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Air Control Board listed the air quality as Hazardous for my five county area.
The sunrises have been surreal looking.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Continued prayers.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:16 am

When the rains start they can be heavy rains, and continuous for a day or more. This could mean that the remains of most of the now over 1000 still missing may never be located. Washed away, back into the ground. Gruesome reality, but many/ most were reduced to ashes. The only ray of hope is that some of those 1000 left the area and don't know they are listed as missing.

And this is an alarming list. All of the most destructive California wildfires, with the exception of the 1991 Oakland fire, have happened since 2003. And the two most destructive fires happened in the past 2 years, with the number of structures destroyed totaling more than all the others combined......

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am

Folks burned out of their homes were tent camping next to the Walmart parking lot and told they had to leave (the order was rescinded, thankfully!) but rain is coming.
No FEMA trailers in sight. AFAIK they haven't opened the Co Fairgrounds as a shelter(I could be wrong about this, When I was in the biz, fair grounds were considered primary assets for dealing with disaster. Maybe the fair grounds burned as well? IDK)
A terrible situation for those who survived so much loss to have to deal with!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am
Folks burned out of their homes were tent camping next to the Walmart parking lot and told they had to leave (the order was rescinded, thankfully!) but rain is coming.
No FEMA trailers in sight. AFAIK they haven't opened the Co Fairgrounds as a shelter(I could be wrong about this, When I was in the biz, fair grounds were considered primary assets for dealing with disaster. Maybe the fair grounds burned as well? IDK)
A terrible situation for those who survived so much loss to have to deal with!
Thanks, Hov. I recently read that most of the 1000 plus missing are over 60 years old, but most in their 80s and 90s. I read this, this morning:

"Sheriff Kory Honea said it was within the "realm of possibility" that officials would never know the exact death toll from the blaze. He also questioned whether the search for remains could be completed by midweek when rain is forecast.

"As much as I wish that we could get through all of this before the rains come, I don't know if that's possible," Honea said.

"About 1,000 names remain on a list of people unaccounted for more than a week after the fire began."

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Praying

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 pm

I have so many mixed feelings having called Paradise, CA my home of many years. To me it seems eviscerated; wiped off the face of the map. People there worried about fires but nothing of this magnitude. There's nothing to come back to but charred remains.

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:22 pm

It's apparent how heavily this is weighing on you Goose. I'm praying for all those affected by this disaster, especially the one I know.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:18 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:22 pm
It's apparent how heavily this is weighing on you Goose. I'm praying for all those affected by this disaster, especially the one I know.
Thanks, Fred.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 am

As of this morning's news, 700 remain unaccounted for.