Where two or more are gathered....
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

RIP GHW Bush

Post by wosbald » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:48 pm

+JMJ+

Former President George H.W. Bush Dies At 94
George H.W. Bush, the 41st president of the United States, speaks at a fundraiser in Dallas in 1991. (Credit: Marcy Nighswander/AP)

George H.W. Bush was the definition of establishment success: Yale graduate. Prosperous business career. Forty-first president of the United States.

But to one admittedly biased observer, the elder Bush has always been shortchanged.

"As a result of him being a one-term president, historians hadn't paid much attention to him," George W. Bush told NPR in a 2014 interview. He called his father "one of the greatest one-term presidents in the nation's history."

George Herbert Walker Bush died Friday at the age of 94.

George W. Bush released a statement, saying for himself and his siblings, "Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died."

"George H.W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for," he said. "The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41's life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens."

[…]

Whatever the senior Bush's political shortcomings, hindsight has cast his presidency in a kinder, gentler light.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: RIP GHW Bush

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:57 pm

An incredible life of service.
God bless his soul.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:57 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:57 pm
An incredible life of service.
God bless his soul.
Amen. Prayers for his family.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 am

I saw then President Bush speak once. He stood on a softball diamond in an impoverished part of town where, earlier in life, he had volunteered as a softball coach for at risk youth. He was humble, sincere, and as down to earth as any person I'd ever stood before. I can't count the number of times I saw him make a difference in my community and I personally know people who benefitted from his silent generosity and kindness. Whether or not I agreed with him politically from time to time meant little to me because I always knew he was a decent, good man.

I pray he's hand in hand with Barbara now.

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 am

RIP :(
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:21 am

JimVH wrote:I saw then President Bush speak once. He stood on a softball diamond in an impoverished part of town where, earlier in life, he had volunteered as a softball coach for at risk youth. He was humble, sincere, and as down to earth as any person I'd ever stood before. I can't count the number of times I saw him make a difference in my community and I personally know people who benefitted from his silent generosity and kindness. Whether or not I agreed with him politically from time to time meant little to me because I always knew he was a decent, good man.

Amen

What a eulogy. A life of service, that’s inspiring. If only we had more politicians who were good people that I disagree with politically, it’s quite the opposite with the current president for me at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 am

JimVH wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 am
I saw then President Bush speak once. He stood on a softball diamond in an impoverished part of town where, earlier in life, he had volunteered as a softball coach for at risk youth. He was humble, sincere, and as down to earth as any person I'd ever stood before. I can't count the number of times I saw him make a difference in my community and I personally know people who benefitted from his silent generosity and kindness. Whether or not I agreed with him politically from time to time meant little to me because I always knew he was a decent, good man.

^^^this^^^
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:32 am

He visited Cherry Point NC where I was stationed. It was my privilege to be part of the welcoming jarheads that lined the road and saluted him as he was driven by.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:06 am

A thousand points of light to ya....

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:39 am

:signofcross:
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 pm

An honorable servant for sure.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:04 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 pm
An honorable servant for sure.
Indeed.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:15 pm

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:26 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:15 pm
Yeah, I saw that he played on the Yale Baseball Team, as a 1st baseman and had been in a ceremony with his meeting Babe Ruth.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:18 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 am

The Bushes were popular in Houston. When I worked downtown our manager would occasionaly spring for lunch at a BBQ place a short drive from there that he claimed was the Bush's favorite BBQ place. It may have been Otto's, but I can't remember. There were several BBQ joints in town that made that claim, and I suspect that the Bush family sort-of spread their business around.

They had seats at Astros home games behind Homeplate, and one game I happened to have seats near enough to see them. They left early, and as he was being pushed out in a wheelchair the game paused and everyone in the stands stood and applauded, and he and Barbara acknowledged the crowd with smiles and waves. It was a very small moment that I'll never forget.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am

A great and worthy statesman, the right man for the job at hand. I always liked the Bush family.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 am

We are making plans to watch the procession when he is laid to rest in College Station next to Barbara.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 am
We are making plans to watch the procession when he is laid to rest in College Station next to Barbara.
Rita and grandson number three went to Magnolia to watch 4141 go by. They said the crowd was mostly polite and respectful, though there were the predictable few who thought it was a party. It really meant a lot to her to get to see it and pay respects.