Questions on health

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
User avatar
Kodiak
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 965
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by Kodiak » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:45 am

Only thing I can thing off is my uncle after 56 years of smoking got cancer in his left side of the lower lip. My grandma said he ALWAYS smoked on the left side.... So make sure you switch it up.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. John Muir

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20591
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Post by Jocose » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 am

Kodiak wrote:Only thing I can thing off is my uncle after 56 years of smoking got cancer in his left side of the lower lip. My grandma said he ALWAYS smoked on the left side.... So make sure you switch it up.
TheImpudent called, he wanted to know if you meant to say "think of"
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Eleknar
Minister of Stinky Pipes
Minister of Stinky Pipes
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Lakeville, IN
Contact:

Post by Eleknar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:37 am

To this day, none of the Surgeon General reports have a whole lot of negative anything to say about pipe/cigar smoking. The same cannot be said about cigarettes, of course.
Eleknar

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12291
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Post by Thoth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:03 am

Eleknar wrote:To this day, none of the Surgeon General reports have a whole lot of negative anything to say about pipe/cigar smoking. The same cannot be said about cigarettes, of course.
Part of it is economy of scale, they are an order(s) of magnitude more cigarette smokers, so it does not make it worth the cost to do an exhaustive study for cigar and pipe smokers.

Plus whatever study did on cigar and pipe smokers, mainly in europe found increase risk of cancer is dose dependant. More you smoke the higher risk. Overall risks lower than cigarette smokers, not because pipes or cigars are inherently healthier, its just pipe and cigar smokers don't smoke as much or have lower levels of exposure (i.e. don't inhale) as cigarette smokers.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
StatHaldol
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1366
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: North Louisiana
Contact:

Post by StatHaldol » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:12 am

I figure if smoking takes 5 or 10 years off my life, those will be the "wheelchair and diaper" years....Heck, I'll give those up! :lol:
"Twas much, that man was made like God before, but that God should be made like man, much more". John Donne

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14454
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Thoth wrote:
Eleknar wrote:To this day, none of the Surgeon General reports have a whole lot of negative anything to say about pipe/cigar smoking. The same cannot be said about cigarettes, of course.
Part of it is economy of scale, they are an order(s) of magnitude more cigarette smokers, so it does not make it worth the cost to do an exhaustive study for cigar and pipe smokers.

Plus whatever study did on cigar and pipe smokers, mainly in europe found increase risk of cancer is dose dependant. More you smoke the higher risk. Overall risks lower than cigarette smokers, not because pipes or cigars are inherently healthier, its just pipe and cigar smokers don't smoke as much or have lower levels of exposure (i.e. don't inhale) as cigarette smokers.
Could it be that cigar and pipe tobacco also doesn't have as many chemical additives put in by the manufacturers?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
TomT_90GT
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Post by TomT_90GT » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:52 am

I think TNLP's earlier post summarized what I've read on the subject pretty thoroughly. I have a couple of articles (one from an MD first hand, the second the notes of an MD's talk to a pipe group)...if you PM me I can forward them to you. I started smoking pipes and cigars fairly recently (about 4-5 years ago) at age 50. My "moderation" level is 1 bowl (rarely 2) a day, and about 2-3 cigars a week.

I grew up around 2 chain-smoking parents and developed a pretty strong aversion to ciggy smoke (never had one, and I'll die without ever having one). But from my readings, all the "evidence" linking ALL tobacco use in the same (risk) category is plain junk science. Yes, there is a SLIGHT increase in risk of oral cancers, it seems that under 5 cigars PER DAY is relatively safe (not sure if that would equate to the same number of pipes). And I'm going to stick to water/iced tea/soda from now on during smoking (save the Scotch for post-smoking!), because there does seem to be evidence smoking and alcohol have a synergistic effect on causing cancer.

Otherwise, I'm in total agreement with the general consensus here...pipe/cigar smoking isn't a requirement for hanging around here (it just helps), just as being a Christian isn't necessarily a requirement (although again, it helps having that common ground). From my "short" time here, though, I do think it is (or is becoming) a requirement to like, cheese, bacon, and possibly tacos (in that order)!!

User avatar
Murf
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1137
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Contact:

Post by Murf » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 pm

TomT_90GT wrote:I think TNLP's earlier post summarized what I've read on the subject pretty thoroughly. I have a couple of articles (one from an MD first hand, the second the notes of an MD's talk to a pipe group)...if you PM me I can forward them to you. I started smoking pipes and cigars fairly recently (about 4-5 years ago) at age 50. My "moderation" level is 1 bowl (rarely 2) a day, and about 2-3 cigars a week.

I grew up around 2 chain-smoking parents and developed a pretty strong aversion to ciggy smoke (never had one, and I'll die without ever having one). But from my readings, all the "evidence" linking ALL tobacco use in the same (risk) category is plain junk science. Yes, there is a SLIGHT increase in risk of oral cancers, it seems that under 5 cigars PER DAY is relatively safe (not sure if that would equate to the same number of pipes). And I'm going to stick to water/iced tea/soda from now on during smoking (save the Scotch for post-smoking!), because there does seem to be evidence smoking and alcohol have a synergistic effect on causing cancer.

Otherwise, I'm in total agreement with the general consensus here...pipe/cigar smoking isn't a requirement for hanging around here (it just helps), just as being a Christian isn't necessarily a requirement (although again, it helps having that common ground). From my "short" time here, though, I do think it is (or is becoming) a requirement to like, cheese, bacon, and possibly tacos (in that order)!!
Definitely Tacos...
It's easier to force feed people than it is to give 'em what they want. It makes more money.      -Merle Haggard

User avatar
MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Posts: 5443
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Questions on health

Post by MrPiper » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:18 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21581
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Questions on health

Post by Thunktank » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:52 pm

MrPiper wrote:BTW, the overall death rate is still 100%. It has been since Adam and Eve left the garden.
It was 100 percent long before that.

User avatar
MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Posts: 5443
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Questions on health

Post by MrPiper » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:03 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Questions on health

Post by Rusty » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Thunktank wrote:
MrPiper wrote:BTW, the overall death rate is still 100%. It has been since Adam and Eve left the garden.
It was 100 percent long before that.
It has always been 100%. There is no exception. And there never was. Stars do it and so do we.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21581
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Questions on health

Post by Thunktank » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
MrPiper wrote:BTW, the overall death rate is still 100%. It has been since Adam and Eve left the garden.
It was 100 percent long before that.
It has always been 100%. There is no exception. And there never was. Stars do it and so do we.
Yes, but pipe smoking in moderation is quite healthy for many of us. I found a relaxing hobby and made some healthy friendships with local pipe smokers. Now the online friends I've met through this hobby may be another matter. :lol:

Post Reply