How to Make Rich and HOT French Press Coffee

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
Post Reply
User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19278
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

How to Make Rich and HOT French Press Coffee

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:59 pm

+JMJ+

Sick of lukewarm Press Pot Coffee that is not as rich and full as desired? This method was cobbled together from some of the cutting-edge coffee bar techniques making the rounds.
  • Preheat a thermal carafe. It keeps the coffee piping hot, plus you'll need a "mixing" container for the last step.
  • Grind your coffee finely. Not pulverized, but quite finely compared to what is normally recommended for French Press.
  • Measure your water into a kettle. Just heat the precise amount you need.
  • Add the coffee grounds to the pot. No need to preheat a glass press pot.
  • Boil the water.
  • Pour only enough water over the grounds to barely moisten them (i.e. to the consistency of potting soil). This is a very small amount of water relative to total volume of brewing water used for the entire process. Gently and briefly mix with a utensil (non-metallic if the carafe is glass), so that all of the grounds get evenly wetted.
  • Wait about 45 seconds, keeping the water in the kettle at a full boil.
  • Pour water, filling the pot only about one-half full. Be sure to pour vigorously to ensure that the "crust" of grounds on the surface has been broken.
  • As a crust will, again, rise to the surface, repeatedly poke at the surface this crust with a wooden or plastic dowel, breaking the crust and causing the grounds to incorporate. This process may take a minute or so.
  • When the coffee is fully submerged such that no floating grounds are visible from the surface, place the plunger atop the pot and into contact with the surface of the brewing water.
  • Immediately depress the plunger with firm and steady pressure.
  • After the plunger has bottomed-out, pour the coffee into the waiting thermal carafe.
  • Pour the rest of the boiling water into the thermal carafe. Slightly agitate the carafe to mix the water and concentrated coffee.
  • After emptying and rinsing the pot, fill french press with water to retard coffee oil rancidifiction.
Last edited by wosbald on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21790
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Post by Thunktank » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Doesn't a French Press require a few minutes of brew time?

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19278
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Post by wosbald » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:25 pm

+JMJ+
Thunktank wrote:Doesn't a French Press require a few minutes of brew time?
Not with this method. Dat's the whole point. It is hot as well as rich. After the 45 sec pre-infusion, the pressure created by the forceful depression of the plunger on the fine grind extracts the flavor very quickly.

Give it a try. Just remember to only fill the pot to the halfway pot before depressing. Turbulence and backspray can occur, and this minimizes the risk of hot liquid spurting out of the pot. Just follow the instructions.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20873
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:26 am

I've always experienced flat tasting coffee when using boiling water. I use a Jetboilwith French press when I travel and even when I pour vigorously ( to oxygenate) It still is flat.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19278
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 am

+JMJ+
Jocose wrote:I've always experienced flat tasting coffee when using boiling water. I use a Jetboilwith French press when I travel and even when I pour vigorously ( to oxygenate) It still is flat.
Then use slightly-less than boiling water, if that's yer thang. This method doesn't depend upon boiling water. It will work fine regardless. The coffee will be ever-so-slightly cooler, but that'll be about the extent of it.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie
Posts: 16963
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by Kerdy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 am

I like coffee. Maybe I should add I need coffee but I do like the stuff.
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25551
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Post by jruegg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:06 am

How to Make Rich and HOT French Press Coffee:

Step 1: Go to Wosbald's house.
Image

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 2485
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: U.S.S. Enterprise, Deck 5, 3F-121
Contact:

Post by Kirk1701 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 am

I think this should be retitled, "How to Be A Pretentious Nancy." The subtitle, "Or Douchenozzling with Wos." :lol: :lol:
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6116
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 am

Kirk1701 wrote:I think this should be retitled, "How to Be A Pretentious Nancy." The subtitle, "Or Douchenozzling with Wos." :lol: :lol:
I never understood the Wosbald pipe packing method.
I understand these instructions, but doubt I will adopt it.

I am developing a quick attach/detach cozy for my French Press made from professional grade pot holders. Prototype has kept coffee warm for about an hour.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One
Posts: 11860
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Grand Rapids MI.
Contact:

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 am

Kirk1701 wrote:I think this should be retitled, "How to Be A Pretentious Nancy." :lol: :lol:
Except here's the right way to to it ;)

Image
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

User avatar
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Posts: 19278
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Post by wosbald » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 am

+JMJ+
Zed wrote:Brothers and Sisters this library is an information only forum. Its purpose is to inform the uninformed. Please take the time to add an article type of thread to inform others of matters pertaining to pipe smoking.

Please add no discussion, no thread jacking, no joking. The purpose of this is to have a central location where people can go to get informed. When someone starts a thread and you see where another opinion or method can be added please do so in an informative and objective way.

Please write your threads in such a way, as you would have someone inform you. Be descriptive, and consider any words you may use may be new to some one else.

If you have questions pertaining to one of the threads please do not ask within the thread. Start a new thread in a different forum or PM (private message) the author. Then the information can be added later.

If you would like a new subject added that you want information on then please request so in the requests forum not here. Then an informed person will start one for you. And then others will also add their advice.

Let us make this the most comprehensive pipe smoking library on the net.

Thank you, and good writing.
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

User avatar
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One
Posts: 11860
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Grand Rapids MI.
Contact:

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 am

Is it the quoting game now?

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Zed wrote:Brothers and Sisters this library is an information only forum. Its purpose is to inform the uninformed. Please take the time to add an article type of thread to inform others of matters pertaining to pipe smoking.

Please add no discussion, no thread jacking, no joking. The purpose of this is to have a central location where people can go to get informed. When someone starts a thread and you see where another opinion or method can be added please do so in an informative and objective way.

Please write your threads in such a way, as you would have someone inform you. Be descriptive, and consider any words you may use may be new to some one else.

If you have questions pertaining to one of the threads please do not ask within the thread. Start a new thread in a different forum or PM (private message) the author. Then the information can be added later.

If you would like a new subject added that you want information on then please request so in the requests forum not here. Then an informed person will start one for you. And then others will also add their advice.

Let us make this the most comprehensive pipe smoking library on the net.

Thank you, and good writing.


Kirk1701 wrote:I think this should be retitled, "How to Be A Pretentious Nancy." The subtitle, "Or Douchenozzling with Wos." :lol: :lol:
Last edited by TwoXseveN on Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 2485
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: U.S.S. Enterprise, Deck 5, 3F-121
Contact:

Post by Kirk1701 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:15 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Zed wrote:Brothers and Sisters this library is an information only forum. Its purpose is to inform the uninformed. Please take the time to add an article type of thread to inform others of matters pertaining to pipe smoking.

Please add no discussion, no thread jacking, no joking. The purpose of this is to have a central location where people can go to get informed. When someone starts a thread and you see where another opinion or method can be added please do so in an informative and objective way.

Please write your threads in such a way, as you would have someone inform you. Be descriptive, and consider any words you may use may be new to some one else.

If you have questions pertaining to one of the threads please do not ask within the thread. Start a new thread in a different forum or PM (private message) the author. Then the information can be added later.

If you would like a new subject added that you want information on then please request so in the requests forum not here. Then an informed person will start one for you. And then others will also add their advice.

Let us make this the most comprehensive pipe smoking library on the net.

Thank you, and good writing.
Hey maaan, don't bring us down with your RULES, maaan! You can't OWN anything, man! A library's about free speech, man!

Also, Dave's not here, man!
EGO nunquam inquisitor Klingons quod EGO nunquam mos.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17383
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:54 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:I think this should be retitled, "How to Be A Pretentious Nancy." :lol: :lol:
Except here's the right way to to it ;)

Image
And yet, your coffee is sitting there cooling off the whole time before you plunge it. Wosbald's method continues boiling water to add to the carafe after plunging, whereas yours allows all the hot water to sit in the glass container, losing heat energy.

User avatar
TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One
Posts: 11860
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Grand Rapids MI.
Contact:

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:00 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:I think this should be retitled, "How to Be A Pretentious Nancy." :lol: :lol:
Except here's the right way to to it ;)

Image
And yet, your coffee is sitting there cooling off the whole time before you plunge it. Wosbald's method continues boiling water to add to the carafe after plunging, whereas yours allows all the hot water to sit in the glass container, losing heat energy.
I just did a google search hoping to find something that was more extensive than Wos' method... trying to play into the 'Prentious' joke :).
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
Posts: 17383
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:00 pm

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:20 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
TwoXseveN wrote:
Kirk1701 wrote:I think this should be retitled, "How to Be A Pretentious Nancy." :lol: :lol:
Except here's the right way to to it ;)

Image
And yet, your coffee is sitting there cooling off the whole time before you plunge it. Wosbald's method continues boiling water to add to the carafe after plunging, whereas yours allows all the hot water to sit in the glass container, losing heat energy.
I just did a google search hoping to find something that was more extensive than Wos' method... trying to play into the 'Prentious' joke :).
Oops! My b.

User avatar
gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Posts: 7865
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by gravel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Library?

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21157
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:47 pm

You people are soooo lucky Zed's not around any more.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20873
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Post by Jocose » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:21 pm

FredS wrote:You people are soooo lucky Zed's not around any more.
The Fall of cOBunism is here, let us rejoice with some rich and HOT coffee!
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4329
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Post by Brigid » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:44 am

Ok, just tried it.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

Post Reply