The Essence of the Wosbald Lighting Method

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

The Essence of the Wosbald Lighting Method

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:18 am

+JMJ+
After streamlining the Wos Method, I now offer, for reference, the lighting process (the heart of the technique) unencumbered by the rest of my recommendations.

The following is the heart of Wos Lighting, in concept...
Assuming proper tobacco preparation and pipe packing, the lighting of a pipe is rather simple, in principle. Firstly, the flame is held close to the surface of the tobacco while lighting until a small ember, sufficient to smolder to a certain degree, is produced. Secondly, the flame is then held a bit above the tobacco while lighting so that heat (rather than the direct flame) can cause this ember to grow and expand outward (toward the chamber walls) until it reaches the diameter necessary to attain a FULL AND RESISTANT DRAW.

That's it, in a nutshell. Direct flame is used to create a small ember, and then a broader and more diffuse "shower" of heat is used to "feed" this ember as it spreads out across the surface of the tobacco pack. One only needs to return to the use of direct flame if the initial "proto-ember" has extinguished. By keeping the flame away from the surface of the pack, the coolness and efficiency of the lighting process is assured. The effectiveness of this technique is particularly dramatic when used with wider gauge chambers (those approaching an inch in width), particularly since these "pot bowls" give many pipers trouble.

For more info, CLICK HEREfor the full Wos Method.
Last edited by wosbald on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:35 am

I know Zed doesn't like comments in here but...

I picked up this basic principle up from reading the long form of your method several years ago and have had great success in using it ever since. Consider it similar (in some ways) to lighting a cigar. The flame doesn't usually touch the tobacco, you use the heat produced to evenly light the entire foot. Similarly, holding the flame above the tobacco in the pipe will produce sufficient heat to evenly light the bowl of tobacco. Or such has been my experience for the last several years.

I'm not sure if I've ever thanked you for putting it all in writing, but, thanks! I don't really follow your tamping practices, but this core issue of lighting the pipe has been very helpful to me.
Sola Deo Gloria

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 am

Its been working for me.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:02 am

+JMJ+
Thanks, y'all.