"The Pipe" --- Venturi

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
nuance910
Elder
Elder
Location: Sittin' on the bank of Ol' Man River in Western Forgottonia.

"The Pipe" --- Venturi

Post by nuance910 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

In the 1950's, defense contractors began experimenting with pyrolytic graphite for use as heat-shield coatings for space rockets which were planned for reentry into the earth's atmosphere. In the late 1950's, Super-Temp Corporation was founded to manufacture pyrolytic graphite and other specialty metals.

. . .

In 1963, one of the workers at Super-Temp was machining pyrolytic graphite sleeves and cups for nuclear power plant plumbing. An avid pipe smoker, he noticed that the cups he was working on were about the same size as his pipe bowl. On a whim, he drilled a hole near the bottom of one of the cups and stuck it in his pipe. It smoked quite well and he shared his discovery with management. Dr. Smith, also a pipe smoker, was taken with the notion of a pipe lined with pyrolytic graphite and encouraged further experimentation. They discovered that the pipe bowl liners' venturi effect significantly reduced the tars and nicotine passing through the pipe to the smoker. An application for patent of a "Smoking Element" was submitted by Edgar C. Buckingham, Super-Temp's Marketing Manager, in August, 1963. The patent was granted in 1965.

http://www.thepipe.info/history/index.html
I have a couple of these "The Pipe" pipes. Not such great smokers. But damn near indestructible. And quite the interesting story behind their invention and development.
Sometimes I don't finish things that I sta

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: "The Pipe" --- Venturi

Post by wosbald » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 am

+JMJ+
I like these. I think that they're very good smokers. Though, I think that pretty much all pipes are good smokers, so YMMV.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

nuance910
Elder
Elder

Post by nuance910 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 am

I have two. I used to smoke them on a regular basis. But they look brand new, since mine are both black. So you can't see any charring on the black ones like you see on the colorful green/red/blue/white ones. Doesn't seem like much cake builds up in them. Maybe that's why they have the rep as being poor smokers.

nuance910
Elder
Elder

Post by nuance910 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 pm

This fellow has quite a collection of "The Pipe" pipes. http://www.thepipe.info/