Cheap vacuum storage

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a brute.
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Cheap vacuum storage

Post by coco » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Intrigued by vacuum storage due to threads like THIS, I wanted a cheap way of going about it. This method should cost $30-$40, and uses normal mason jars.

You will need a FoodSaver Jar Lid Sealer. I got mine at the local Bass Pro Shop for $10.
(wide-mouth and regular versions are available)

You will also need a brake bleeder/vacuum kit. Mine was from Harbor Freight, and it costs $20-25, depending on the day.

I used only these parts:

I used this double-spur hose connector from the brake bleeder stuff to attach the FoodSaver sealer to the brake bleeder assembly

I cut off one spur, and saved the spur with the tenon

Serendipitously, the tenon exactly fits the hole in the FoodSaver, no drilling required. I glued it in with epoxy.

Make sure that the lid, jar lip, and FoodSaver sealer are all free from tobacco dust, and place the lid onto the jar lip.

Press the FoodSaver sealer down firmly over the lid

Pump until you have a sufficient vacuum. 29.92 inches of mercury is a full vacuum, but you will never get there. Don't worry. 15-20 will do well enough for our purposes.

Quickly release the pressure using the release valve on the brake tool, remove the Foodsaver sealer, and then check the lid. A lid with no vacuum should make a pleasant "thnink" sound when pressed in the center. Yours should make no sound.

If it did not seal, this could be due to schmutz on the sealing surfaces, or it could be due to an old lid. Mason jar lids are very cheap, and thus you may choose to replace it (the best option). You may also choose to freshen the rubber on the lid with a tiny bit of olive oil (if you are being a complete cheapskate).

Finally, put the screw part of the lid on
Last edited by coco on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts

Post by CaptainMathias » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Who are you who is so wise in the ways of science?
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:33 pm

The vacuum system could be used for other purposes. For the woodturners and knifemakers, it could be used to stabilize small blanks. Most importantly, it can be used for educational purposes. You are never too young to start learning about fluid dynamics, or the effects of a vacuum on the body. In other words, this is all FOR THE CHILDREN.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

CaptainMathias

Post by CaptainMathias » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:46 pm

FOR THE CHILDREN
HARUMPH! :lol:
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm

CaptainMathias wrote:Who are you who is so wise in the ways of science?
One word: youtube

[post edited to add a link for the Good Captain]
Last edited by coco on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 pm

What if one already owns a food saver? Should I just buy the attachment? I'm lost! There is nothing in your instructions to account for that variable.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm

gravel wrote:What if one already owns a food saver? Should I just buy the attachment? I'm lost! There is nothing in your instructions to account for that variable.
Nooice.

Answers please.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

CaptainMathias

Post by CaptainMathias » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

coco wrote:
Won't you join me in my castle at camelot?
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 pm

CaptainMathias wrote:
coco wrote:
You smoke more than the infrequent smokers for whom this is quite useful. I think you just want company. Where are you? You may answer with a nearby town or city. 'here' is not a helpful answer.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

fishdent
Usher
Usher

Post by fishdent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 am

I'm curious about the process of losing flavor...what is occuring in the tobacco that causes it to lose flavor? I think Rusty said in another thread something along the lines of "it is more than just moisture" that we are trying to preserve. I've been somewhat complacent because the humidity is fairly high here year round. Most of my tins don't seem to lose much moisture over several weeks to a few months. However, I am starting to notice some flavor loss in some blends.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:30 am

gravel wrote:What if one already owns a food saver? Should I just buy the attachment? I'm lost! There is nothing in your instructions to account for that variable.
Dear Lost,

We regret to inform you that we had some difficulty understanding your request. However, we ran it through Google Translate a few times, and the true meaning became clear:
If you have food. I'll buy the attachment. I lost. What is the indicator variable.
We do indeed have food, and will gratefully accept your gift of an attachment. The indicator variable is your I.Q., displayed on the dial indicator in the original post. It is about 21. No wonder you are Lost.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 am

CaptainMathias wrote:
coco wrote:
I most certainly will not be your brazen hussy

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 am

:lol:
Sola Deo Gloria

CaptainMathias

Post by CaptainMathias » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:51 am

Gabriel wrote:
Finally...God be praised!
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:28 am

CaptainMathias wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Finally...God be praised!
yep

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 am

fishdent wrote:I'm curious about the process of losing flavor...what is occuring in the tobacco that causes it to lose flavor? I think Rusty said in another thread something along the lines of "it is more than just moisture" that we are trying to preserve. I've been somewhat complacent because the humidity is fairly high here year round. Most of my tins don't seem to lose much moisture over several weeks to a few months. However, I am starting to notice some flavor loss in some blends.
I may be way off in what I am about to say, and so Del or Thoth or someone may need to correct me.

I think that changes in tobacco can be reduced to three main causes:
1. Physical change due to sublimation - molecules (particularly in aromatic tobaccos) are lost into the surrounding air
2. Action of aerobic bacteria - Some bacteria change your tobacco chemically, but need air to keep up their work
3. Action of anaerobic bacteria - Some bacteria do not need air to do their thing, and these produce the changes we associate with aged, tinned tobacco

By jarring, we may reduce factor 1 (and factor 2 a little bit), and by vacuuming the jar, we may minimize both 1 and 2.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am

fishdent wrote:I'm curious about the process of losing flavor...what is occuring in the tobacco that causes it to lose flavor? I think Rusty said in another thread something along the lines of "it is more than just moisture" that we are trying to preserve. I've been somewhat complacent because the humidity is fairly high here year round. Most of my tins don't seem to lose much moisture over several weeks to a few months. However, I am starting to notice some flavor loss in some blends.
Ah ha, it's the savage bite of the spyder. If you search bite and spyder you'll find a trail of these posts. Mixtures esp seem to be noted for this. But it probably happens with any blend. If you keep a container around long enough with periodic changes of air 'cause you're smoking it infrequently then it seems to go a little stale and one of the symptoms is that it loses flavour. I've noticed it too so daily smokers aren't immune. I tend to dawdle over Latakia mixtures but go through Virginias very quickly. All you need is a container of tobacco that has infrequent access. We probably access the tins about the same number of times but when we dawdle over them it leaves a lot of time for air changes to affect the blend. Reducing the exposure to air by vacuum sealing between accesses to the container seems to improve flavour retention. It's the frig-o-seal of the tobacco set. That's probably a Quebec expression ....

GL Pease has written about related topics...
http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=28

But there is an interesting difference since GLP seems to be recommending against plastic storage a la most vacuum sealed bags etc. And it's because he is thinking aging with no access vs infrequent access to the container. But the same flavour molecules are the subject.

Ah I see Coco has a term for it - sublimation. Maybe. If it has a scent and tobacco certainly does then it's losing flavour complexes to the air. OTOH if it no longer has a scent then it has lost it all. That's the test that actually works quite well to decide if dry tobacco is worth the effort to resuscitate with added moisture.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

fishdent
Usher
Usher

Post by fishdent » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks, gents....never thought about it from those perspectives. I need to smoke more....

gravel

Post by gravel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 pm

coco wrote:
Dear Lost,

We regret to inform you that we had some difficulty understanding your request. However, we ran it through Google Translate a few times, and the true meaning became clear:
If you have food. I'll buy the attachment. I lost. What is the indicator variable.
We do indeed have food, and will gratefully accept your gift of an attachment. The indicator variable is your I.Q., displayed on the dial indicator in the original post. It is about 21. No wonder you are Lost.
I heard a typical technical support voice in my head and this all made sense.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:43 pm

You know, coco, there's no reason that wouldn't also work for stabilizing small woodturning items like pen blanks, knife scales, stoppers, etc.

Amazon:
Wide mouth $9.99
Regular mouth $6.99